A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Adapting a two-piece board - advice for placement and spacing

Postby merl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 am

I have carbon two-piece wave board - a vanguard style board made by newind. The newer ones have foil mounting holes pre-installed. The maker says he can adapt it me (requires a spacer because of the large concave in the board) but I'd need to decide on position and spacing.

The things that make this tricky are my inexperience and the fact that I don't want something that won't work when I eventually upgrade my foil. Pretty impossible really, but maybe I can get something reasonable.

For position I would guess that my current position relative to front foot is probably OK (based on putting the centre of the wing at the mid-point between foot positions). If I eventually ride strapless (currently just a front foot hook) then I suppose it will not be so critical as long as the mast is not too far back. Is there any general advice for mast placement?

For the plate there are several possible holes Threaded 8M at 148x68mm, or unthreaded 6mm holes at 160x85, 165x90, 140x90

Which one would be the best bet? Or maybe the whole idea is not sensible?
Newind-split-surf-dave.jpg
Boardplatte.jpg

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Adapting a two-piece board - advice for placement and spacing

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am

I'd put the foil at 250mm to rear screw holes to tail. Use 90 x165 hole dimensions, that's most common. Another dimension to look at is putting rear plate screws about 120mm in front of rear foothook screw. That gives you space for rear foot behind foil plate when you get a bit more experience.

But, it depends somewhat on which foil you will use. Look at foilboards that are designed for the foil you will use.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Re: Adapting a two-piece board - advice for placement and spacing

Postby merl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 am

TomW wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am
I'd put the foil at 250mm to rear screw holes to tail. Use 90 x165 hole dimensions, that's most common. Another dimension to look at is putting rear plate screws about 120mm in front of rear foothook screw. That gives you space for rear foot behind foil plate when you get a bit more experience.

But, it depends somewhat on which foil you will use. Look at foilboards that are designed for the foil you will use.
Thanks Tom!

I have a board that does with the foil - the point here is to take advantage of the travel convenience of a two-piece board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”