Kite for 18+ knots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Kite for 18+ knots

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 pm

I still dont have a kite for high wind, and i rarely have more then 25 knots where i live but it becomes really choopy and wavy so very hard to go fast. I would something where i can be underpowered.

Too bad no one have a Hyperlink 5m here, i would like to test it, never liked foil kites in strong wind but would like to give it a go on that one.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Kite for 18+ knots

Postby Foil » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 pm
I still dont have a kite for high wind, and i rarely have more then 25 knots where i live but it becomes really choopy and wavy so very hard to go fast. I would something where i can be underpowered.

Too bad no one have a Hyperlink 5m here, i would like to test it, never liked foil kites in strong wind but would like to give it a go on that one.
I have the 9 hyperlink and have tried the 12.
I also sail in conditions that get very choppy with fast rolling swell and waves when the wind picks up to over 20 knts, and this has made me decide not to go for a tiny hyperlink, I need my high wind,big chop kite to be 100% reliable in water starting whatever the water state especially when waves can often wash right over the kite before I get myself facing the right way round to even see the kite, I feel the risk is too high to gamble against it happing, it will happen as it has done on many occasions, but with a small tube kite this has never been a problem.
I am just about to change all my Bandit kites for Ozone Reo kites, but still keeping the 9 hyperlink and the 15 MTR Breeze, my smallest kite will then be a 6mtr, after that the water state will be so wild my T tip will be pulled from its bag.
I can understand if the guys who never drop thier kite no matter what decide to use a small foil kite in mega strong winds, however that's many years down the line for me.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Foil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm
I have the 9 hyperlink and have tried the 12.
I also sail in conditions that get very choppy with fast rolling swell and waves when the wind picks up to over 20 knts, and this has made me decide not to go for a tiny hyperlink, I need my high wind,big chop kite to be 100% reliable in water starting whatever the water state especially when waves can often wash right over the kite before I get myself facing the right way round to even see the kite, I feel the risk is too high to gamble against it happing, it will happen as it has done on many occasions, but with a small tube kite this has never been a problem.
As I am still awaiting a chance to try a 5 m² HL, I wonder:
Don't you expect or experienced it would relaunch nearly by itself as this foil does here 3 times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Bien5 ... be&t=5m09s
still before you get your head out of the water?

From my rare experience in waves with similar at least a bit wave directed foil kites as FS Pulse 1-2 or Psycho 3-4 (not talking about high AR foils), my impression was, that foils float better over white water, due to high volume. And if you directly hit a high breaking wave, a tube will be eaten and mixed up first. Just maybe if this happens the risk to have problems and risk of damage for a foil could be a bit higher if you mean this?

But for sure there are guys here with more experience in waves with both systems, so interested to hear.

@Pedro: In my eyes and long experience with foils in high winds: The biggest part is about rider experience. For sure to start a tube is easier, but if you know what you are doing it can be pretty easy as well. But for sure if you have a helper for landing with no idea of foils it takes just a view seconds till he is going to tangle your mixer and bridle when he let flap your kite in the wind, but it is more about handling than system, for me. So I think it is worth to give a 5 m² HL a try.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Pedro - not sure I understand your question here ?

You have loads of experience with everything, so assume you have ridden your small wavekites in this wind, or ?

From 18 knots I, average weight, ride a 5 m2 LEI wavekite, sometimes a 6 if only 16-18 but then quickly too powered, even on my smallest wing.

Around 22 knots the 5 is still just possible to ride, but on the upper end and not sweetspot anymore, and for riding waves, NOT good, again not sure if you want freestyle/waves or speed.

But I assume you know this, thus not sure about your question, or it is about small foilkites and not LEIs at all maybe ?

8) PF

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Loving the 5m HL, actually at the moment got two in use the regular one and the UL.
Still need to fly them back to back the same day to verify differences.
Anyways, since the 5m HL I am on foil kites only. And haven't looked back yet. Quite a surprise.
I have used it gusting 40+ knots. Not what I aim for, but possible. Hydrofoiling.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 pm
Hi Pedro - not sure I understand your question here ?

You have loads of experience with everything, so assume you have ridden your small wavekites in this wind, or ?

From 18 knots I, average weight, ride a 5 m2 LEI wavekite, sometimes a 6 if only 16-18 but then quickly too powered, even on my smallest wing.

Around 22 knots the 5 is still just possible to ride, but on the upper end and not sweetspot anymore, and for riding waves, NOT good, again not sure if you want freestyle/waves or speed.

But I assume you know this, thus not sure about your question, or it is about small foilkites and not LEIs at all maybe ?

8) PF

Actually my smallest wavekite is a 6m LEI, and im too powered on that on 18+ knots, so i need a smaller kite, i really want to have the "underpowered" feel in this conditions, so im not sure if a 5m LEI will do the job, maybe a foil kite having alot more deepower will be better? Ive never tried small foil kites and i just imagine how messy it can be in high winds with all the bridles and stuff.

I also tried my 6m LEI with shorter lines, but it doesnt work, or at least it doesnt work as good as it works on the foils kites, i get lots of short power spikes on the LEIs which is quite annoying.

Im looking just for Freestyle/waveride on the hidrofoil in this winds, i feel that "race setup" its pointless in this winds, unless i decide to enter some national competitions, which i wont until i get 10/10 on tacks and gybes and i bet that will take at least 1 more year.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 pm
Loving the 5m HL, actually at the moment got two in use the regular one and the UL.
Still need to fly them back to back the same day to verify differences.
Anyways, since the 5m HL I am on foil kites only. And haven't looked back yet. Quite a surprise.
I have used it gusting 40+ knots. Not what I aim for, but possible. Hydrofoiling.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
If you put 25m lines on it, how early can you start on the 5m ? on that tiny board of yours :)

Keep posting some videos, you are getting quite skilled at it.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Last session I used 5m lines on it for half an hour. But the wind was not really strong enough to make waterstart enjoyable. The 4 starts I had to do during that 30 minutes / 10km were a bit of a pain.
So I switched to 7m lines that I have been using for two sessions before on the 5m and 7m Hyperlink and that worked fine again, no issues to get started.
For the record, my board is 120x42cm and I have been on the Moses race wings 2018 (and later also one of the new Moses SUP/surf wings, interesting to kite on too), and I am around 85kg.
I do not think this is super important though.

You asked about 25m lines, well... it depends on water conditions mostly if pushing low-end. Perfectly calm water compared to messy moving water makes a massive difference.
I have not pushed low end riding like this with the 5m HL as I have been doing with the 6m R1 before, or before that on the 5m Reo for example.
So it would be guessing. And then it is also a question of what counts to be the low-end. If pushing it in the right conditions I am sure I could ride back and forth in under 10 knots.

Not sure if this tells you much really...

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Actually having trouble to get footage, mostly too far from shore to be filmed from there (and not always somebody to find to do it in current weather conditions), line mounts do not work with my setups anymore.
So the only way would be to mount the camera on the board or on my body. But I am not sure how to get footage that is worth it? Any ideas or video examples that actually work well?

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Actually having trouble to get footage, mostly too far from shore to be filmed from there (and not always somebody to find to do it in current weather conditions), line mounts do not work with my setups anymore.
So the only way would be to mount the camera on the board or on my body. But I am not sure how to get footage that is worth it? Any ideas or video examples that actually work well?

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
I like when i can see what the kite is doing, the drone views are cool :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”