Kite for 18+ knots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite for 18+ knots

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

Ill try a few more sessions on the Naish Ride, ill make my back lines abit longer then normal to see if i get abit more deepower out of it and then decide if i get a smaller one, i also have the feeling from past experiences that really small kites dont "feel" very good.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am
Ill try a few more sessions on the Naish Ride, ill make my back lines abit longer then normal to see if i get abit more deepower out of it and then decide if i get a smaller one, i also have the feeling from past experiences that really small kites dont "feel" very good.
If that is your feeling then the 5m Hyperlink may actually be something for you as I would say it feels like a bigger kite in a positive way.
And I also like small fast reactive kites, but this one is one of the slower ones I have used, this makes it deliver very smooth solid power though. The easiest small kite for hydrofoil maneuvers that I have used.
Of course this is my point of view having been on a mix of LEI and foilkites for quite some time. At the moment I do not have a single LEI in my personal quiver anymore, something I would not have expected pre-Hyperlink.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 am

Frank Rosin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am
If that is your feeling then the 5m Hyperlink may actually be something for you as I would say it feels like a bigger kite in a positive way.
And I also like small fast reactive kites, but this one is one of the slower ones I have used, this makes it deliver very smooth solid power though. The easiest small kite for hydrofoil maneuvers that I have used.
Of course this is my point of view having been on a mix of LEI and foilkites for quite some time. At the moment I do not have a single LEI in my personal quiver anymore, something I would not have expected pre-Hyperlink.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
I have no doubt the HL would be a good choice at least regarding the power and feel, but my problem is that i dont like tangled bridles and wet foil kites, also foil kites dont like to be dropped on waves, and they fill with water, i can live with the big sizes because they are just so much better in lightwinds, but i was hoping i could skip them for the smaller sizes :roll:

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 am

Understand
I could have said the same.
The HL changed this, for me.
Just reporting about my experiences, do not want to push you anywhere!!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 am
Understand
I could have said the same.
The HL changed this, for me.
Just reporting about my experiences, do not want to push you anywhere!!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
This moves me to another discussion, which is: How long does a foil kite last, being used at least 2 times per week / all year ? I dont have one for time enough to know this, and they are very expensive if they just last 1 or 2 years.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:23 pm

I would say a foilkite like the Hyperlink can last way longer than a LEI, so that it is effectively cheaper in the end.
Of course it depends what you do to it :)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:23 pm
I would say a foilkite like the Hyperlink can last way longer than a LEI, so that it is effectively cheaper in the end.
Of course it depends what you do to it :)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
You will need good arguments to convince me on that one, what about all your bridle system shrinking etc?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm

That is way more relevant on race kites.
On HL not much to worry about and quite easily trimmed if needed.
I know foil kites that are 10 years old and still get regular use, they may be on a new set of bridles though. And I am not sure if this is something you aim for anyways.
Not really trying to convince you by the way, just trying to answer your questions.
I am fine with you using any kite you want and hopefully like :)

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm
I know foil kites that are 10 years old and still get regular use, they may be on a new set of bridles though. And I am not sure if this is something you aim for anyways.
Not really trying to convince you by the way, just trying to answer your questions.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
Yes 10 years is abit too much, im fine if my kites last 4-5 years. But why would a Foil last longer then a LEI, normaly my LEI kites start having problems on the valves, valve connection to the bladders start leaking

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm
Frank Rosin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com
Yes 10 years is abit too much, im fine if my kites last 4-5 years. But why would a Foil last longer then a LEI, normaly my LEI kites start having problems on the valves, valve connection to the bladders start leaking

You just answered it yourself maybe...

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”