Brand Affiliation: None

Re: lightest winds - floaters vs sinkers

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 am

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm
plummet wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 am
keh?
Ever want for a more buoyant foil board to improve light wind performance? An SUP with a foil on it?
No not really. My TT style construction 125cm pocket board gets me going around 7 knots. below that i go mountain biking... Well to be honest below 15 knots i go mountain biking, But sometimes i feel like a desparation session.

But learning to surface jybe would be better on a more bouyant board. Once foiling who the hell cares.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: lightest winds - floaters vs sinkers

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 am

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 am
My money is on the foiler with an ultralight foil kite and a board that can sink to resist the kite.
Real good question. Being a ultra-light wind lover (rather than integrist :thumb: ), I can report that with my light 60kg-weight on the balance, a thin low/medium volume board ( ketos skimm-142x50-20) is beneficial. Actually in extreme marginal winds I need to sink the board the deeper i can in the water to make a kind of fix anchor to gain line tentions, otherwise the little kite pull during the waterstart loop will induce a little downwind speed that prevent the kite from taking enough speed (when I still have the ass in the water). I even sometime have to use one free hand to swim-backward while the kite is initiating the loop to try to accelerate it a bit more at this starting loop.

But I must say it may be rider-weight dependant because here I speak of winds were most foil kite will not hang in the air, while I am using a very powerfull (and over-sized) 15m or 18 m for my 60 kg on the balance, so very "specific". Sinking the board was even harder on a more volume board (so less efficient "anchor", and even harder when I was riding strapless ...) . Indeed I had no such issues on this with the 12m (or previous speed2 15m SA) in 1-2 more knot wind (say 6 knots).

Return to “Hydrofoil”