Re: flying foot switch - advice needed

Postby cwood » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 pm
cwood wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm
plummet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm
Any tips on learning to foil jybe in lumpy choppy sea? A typical day for me is 1.5 - 2m swell 15-25 knots. I get a swell chop combo that means the sea is in a constant flux. I try to aim for a small piece of less lumpy water. But it usually isn't enough flat to pull of a foiling footswitch without being hit my swell/chop combo.

I can sneak into the port for a bit of flatter water. But then I get real gusty fluky wind and the kite starts falling out of the sky.
those conditions are sucky for learning an already tricky thing. I try to get to swell where there is a flat spread between for a bit of calm. It may be that you need to get away for a week to a more calm place to advance. Only other thing is ensuring you have enough mast. 110 makes a big difference over 17 or 90cm in rough water.
Oh yeah. I'm running a 90cm mast too..... No chance to upgrade to a longer mast or spend a week elsewhere. Money and time are an issue.
Grin and bear it :-)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm
plummet wrote:
cwood wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm

those conditions are sucky for learning an already tricky thing. I try to get to swell where there is a flat spread between for a bit of calm. It may be that you need to get away for a week to a more calm place to advance. Only other thing is ensuring you have enough mast. 110 makes a big difference over 17 or 90cm in rough water.
Oh yeah. I'm running a 90cm mast too..... No chance to upgrade to a longer mast or spend a week elsewhere. Money and time are an issue.
That's what I'm doing. If there is a day for learning I take it. Otherwise if it's too lumpy I flag the learning and just fang around. I guess there's no race to learn other than my own urgency to become proficient.

cwood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm
cwood wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm
plummet wrote:

That's what I'm doing. If there is a day for learning I take it. Otherwise if it's too lumpy I flag the learning and just fang around. I guess there's no race to learn other than my own urgency to become proficient.
Fill your rough water time with massive foil boosts....most fun you can have clothed :-)

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:42 am

plummet wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm
Any tips on learning to foil jybe in lumpy choppy sea? A typical day for me is 1.5 - 2m swell 15-25 knots. I get a swell chop combo that means the sea is in a constant flux. I try to aim for a small piece of less lumpy water. But it usually isn't enough flat to pull of a foiling footswitch without being hit my swell/chop combo.

I can sneak into the port for a bit of flatter water. But then I get real gusty fluky wind and the kite starts falling out of the sky.
doing footswitch faster would be the obvious answer :wink:
Developing muscle memory in protected water will certainly help a lot. I learned on dead flat water and when foiling in lumpy seas for the first time I could not make a single one foiling jibe for almost a whole day. The reason it turned out, was that I was unknowingly slowing down too much for the switch. Once I payed attention to my speed all fell into the place.
If you can't find a flat water I would recommend working on the footswitch alone - don't think about making the turn, just switch your feet from heel to toe and keep riding straight. This way you should be less inclined to lean back during the maneuver and should be less overwhelming.
You may dedicate a session to it and take out a kite that lets you to un-weigh yourself by just pulling on the bar instead of needing to fly it more aggressively.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tips. Last day yesterday in Cabarete was not good enough wind to practice foot switch, but over last 2 weeks have learned to gybe in very rough conditions on my 93cm mast. My trick is to look for a little chop or wave face, keep kite low as possible depending on the wind strength at that moment, the lower the better, yank the bar and whip the kite around and follow the kite. Low fast kite turn makes it easier to keep foil in the water.

As soon as we have 5+5c in Sweden I'll be out practicing foot switch

cwood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:01 pm

In my opinion practicing early foot switch, early in carve or before carve sets you up for progress later.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Only ever go out in 14 knots totally lit on your largest foil kite and you'll be foot switching in no time!

Return to “Hydrofoil”