Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

flying foot switch - advice needed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Foil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T60 Carbon cutomised with mast tracks.
101cm/91cm Moses Carbon masts
Groove Skate 120cm foil board.
Moses- 633 wave wing and stab
Moses 2018 637 race wing and stab,
Ozone Reo 6/8/9/10/12/
Nobile twin tip (very dusty)
North 2018 click bars
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flying foot switch - advice needed

Postby Foil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 am

when i get this flying foot switch tidied up and smooth looking then the flying tack is maybe next to try, although when i mentioned this to Gunnar 5 weeks back at Flag beach he gave one of those looks and asked why, he said they are crazy hard to do and only really needed if you want to race.
and as a guide to how hard they are he says even the race guys fall off sometimes when tacking, yikes.

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Lytham, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: freeride, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
13m Cab Velocity
10m ozone edge
15m chrono v2
Taaroa sword2
Axis race foilboard
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:17 am

Foil
Why learn to tac when not a racer??
Because it feels great to learn something new. Because it is a challenge. Because you're a foiler. Because when you nail it it feels amazing.

The tack is difficult, but not much more than the flying foot change to jibe. The tack came first for me. Try tack to toeside and 360s as these all use similar techniques.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Foil wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 am
when i get this flying foot switch tidied up and smooth looking then the flying tack is maybe next to try, although when i mentioned this to Gunnar 5 weeks back at Flag beach he gave one of those looks and asked why, he said they are crazy hard to do and only really needed if you want to race.
and as a guide to how hard they are he says even the race guys fall off sometimes when tacking, yikes.
I’m working on the tack now. It took me waaaaaay longer to get a flying jibe with foot switch than it is taking to learn the flying tack with foot switch. I was able to do a tack to toeside well before even trying a tack with a foot switch, so that is half the battle, but I made the first tack with foot switch that I ever tried. It took me thousands and thousands and thousands of tries to get the flying jibe with foot switch before I even came close.

oregonkiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Lift NF2

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 am

Junebug (or anyone else) I am at about 100% on flying foot switch gybes now. Keys for me have been unweighting with kite, stepping forward vs back, and snapping the hips.

I would like to start to learn flying tacks now. Any tips for me on steps to getting there? Skill progression etc? I was okay'ish at tacks on a strapless surfboard--50% or so.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I’m certainly no expert on tacks yet, but the way I did it was to become very comfortable (basically 100%) with tacks to toeside first before even trying a tack with a foot switch.

From there, the only real adjustments I had to make were: (1) be sure to keep your center of gravity over the board (I found I could cheat on this and recover without a footswitch), (2) flatten the board a little before the footswitch, (3) use two hands and keep pulling in on the bar through the footswitch,(4) give the rear of the board a little push during the upwind carve, (5) the footswitch should come after you have gotten the board around dead upwind, (6) dive the kite aggressively after the footswitch, (7) keep weight on the back foot until the downward dive of the kite allows you to ride away on foil.

I’m using tubes, and being powered really helps.

Return to “Hydrofoil”