Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot H3 speed wing - anyone tried yet?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot H3 speed wing - anyone tried yet?

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:58 pm

I currently ride a Slingshot Hover Glide with a 54" Dwarfcraft. I've been foiling for about 12 months and I'm still really enjoying my set up. I've seen that SS have introduced some new wings to their foil range and I've been trying to find some reviews online from people who have actually used them - in particular, the H3 speed wing. So far, I've found scant information online, so I was hoping to find someone on this forum who can give me a real world comparison between the H3 and the original HG wing. Basically, is it worth getting or is the difference in speed and general permrmance too small to be worth it?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: Slingshot H3 speed wing - anyone tried yet?

Postby davesails7 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Houston kiteboarding mentioned it here
https://youtu.be/SwQqzH0xW_0

They didn't see the point of it. Slingshot says it's for big wave tow in?

If you want to go fast you can probably get a 2-3 year old race foil (e.g. spotz2 or delta) for not much more money than that $549 wing.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 pm
Houston kiteboarding mentioned it here
https://youtu.be/SwQqzH0xW_0

They didn't see the point of it. Slingshot says it's for big wave tow in?

If you want to go fast you can probably get a 2-3 year old race foil (e.g. spotz2 or delta) for not much more money than that $549 wing.
Thanks for that. Yes, I have already seen that video, and while I'm a fan of those guys normally, I wasn't all that impressed with depth of info they provided on the H3. Seemed more like they're trying to break into comedy sketches now :roll: . The Slingshot website says it offers more speed and high wind performance as a kite foil, but the Houston KB guys didn't seem to discuss this application at all. They just seemed to dismiss it by posing the questions, "why do you want to foil Jaws or go faster?".

Here in Australia, the wing alone retails for $800. As you say, I can get a second hand carbon set up for maybe $1200. Food for thought.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm

I like the SS setup at 24" and the standard wing for starting new foilers...especially women. Performs smoothly and not crazy slow like a big delta. However, when you throw the long mast on it is almost unimaginably heavy for a beginner to deal with and even someone experienced I can't imagine living with it day to day. The weight of the wing set and fuse at the end of 100 cm is a crazy lever arm to deal with. I would save a bit and get a good carbon setup vs investing more in this kind of rig....night and day.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster

Postby DukeSilver » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm
I like the SS setup at 24" and the standard wing for starting new foilers...especially women. Performs smoothly and not crazy slow like a big delta. However, when you throw the long mast on it is almost unimaginably heavy for a beginner to deal with and even someone experienced I can't imagine living with it day to day. The weight of the wing set and fuse at the end of 100 cm is a crazy lever arm to deal with. I would save a bit and get a good carbon setup vs investing more in this kind of rig....night and day.
Yes, I agree with your assessment of the HG. I have mainly used the 24" and now the 30". It has been great to learn on, and while I'm still really enjoying riding on it, I do wonder what a carbon foil like a Moses Fluente would be like. What I also like about the HG is how robust it is, and this has been my main concern about going to carbon.

I'm starting to think that getting the speed wing for the Hover Glide will be like putting mag wheels and a spoiler on an 02 Toyota Corolla. Thanks for the input.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:37 pm

DukeSilver wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:57 pm
cwood wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm
Yes, I agree with your assessment of the HG. I have mainly used the 24" and now the 30". It has been great to learn on, and while I'm still really enjoying riding on it, I do wonder what a carbon foil like a Moses Fluente would be like. What I also like about the HG is how robust it is, and this has been my main concern about going to carbon.

I'm starting to think that getting the speed wing for the Hover Glide will be like putting mag wheels and a spoiler on an 02 Toyota Corolla. Thanks for the input.
You nailed it. Fantastic durability like a tank which is a big bonus when learning. I learned on Moses carbon and got quite good at wing repair. When you are learning you don't know the depths and issues yet, or how to carry or care for them...but I can tell you there is just no comparison between the "aluminums" and a carbon setup. Not just the ride but also dealing with them in the water and on the beach and travelling etc. The SS actually feels quite good once on the wing but I have ridden others like Nobile that actually felt like there was something wrong with them based on the vibration and drag. Once you feel like you have good control and know your depths etc Get a Fluente or Vorace mast, two front wings and you won't look back.Two front wings so you can tune and repair one after a few months of usage wear and tear while riding the other one. It is very possible to repair and care for a wing over night....but sometimes you just don't feel like it or have the time.

Return to “Hydrofoil”