Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mast length and boosting

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mast length and boosting

Postby lovethepirk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Hmmm, not sure it always is like that :roll:

Peter,

I jump all the time and here is my take on the issue, and I do ride alot in nasty chop and 20+ knots. First, not many people jump in 20+ knots nor do they venture out in those conditions. Even then, you are not keeled over that hard as you navigate swells and waves, you typically ride high and then when you see a wave you may be able to boost off of you then dip the board down slightly by engaging your lead hip and tack harder upwind to generate speed and pressure in the foil then explode off the wave. I can promise you a mast a little less than mine would not help me there b/c you just can't hold the edge over every wave in 20+ knots in non-flat water....you basically ride calmly then find your set and engage. I guess looking back critically I could agree b/c my foil is deeper in the water approaching a wave I have more energy and time to explode out, but it is negligible imho.

Obviously in flatter water, or for us here on a south 17knot wind the water is somewhat tame and you can then just ride leaning over and pick your moment. There are a few times I love the long mast for jumping, but typically the best boosts are in a controlled simple lean and progress into slamming weight into that lead hip and getting that board lower to the water before you let the foil explode for you with as much water as it can. Just my experience! Anything OTHER than jumping the longer the mast the happier I would be :)

All things considered the best boosting hydrofoil wing is a fast one that can accelerate quickly and then exit fast out of the water. The wing is more important than the mast length.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 am

cwood wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:57 pm
bragnouff wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 am
Isn't this a case where the Spitfire would work well too? By being able to handle a bit more back foot pressure on the launch, that would make it a bit more natural? Resilience to partial front wing breaches would also be more forgiving with timing screw ups.
I've only jumped with that foil, so can't really comment about how it compares to a traditional foil design. But it feels pretty right and natural in terms of launching and landing. I like the noise on landing when the foil punches through the water.
One of our stronger boosters went through a Spitfire phase...and is now back on a conventional setup. I will have to ask him about his thoughts here.
If my experience is any indication, race foil is superior to Spitfire in jumping. It jumps quite well but compared to my old Spotz 2, it takes more wind/bigger kite to get similar height. Take off is a bit different and took me some time to dial in. For me loading the lines was easier with Spotz. Extra weight of the alu mast and fuse is also noticeable in the air

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 am

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 am
Trying to figure out if there are any benefits to a 111 mast when it comes to boosting.

Have a 101 at the moment but am thinking of switching to 111. My foiling style is boosting and going fast, but I don’t want to give up and boost height for a longer mast. Any thoughts are appreciated

I think some of us are answering a bit different to this ?

IMO (without doing it much anymore, I know), riding in high winds with really close big chop (like we have, and many spots got when pretty onshore), you simply need a longer mast to be able to go fast in high chop waves only a couple of meters apart (or less), and to load up for the takeoff.
So for boosting, the long mast definitely.

BUT, if you ask what you prefer for "freestyle" (meaning rotations and tricks in the air), the shorter the mast the easier because of a lot less lever and swing weight.

So maybe the answers in here are aiming at different things...

I noted that Kitemanmuc asked about boosting, which is max height right ?
Whereas for freestyle it is just the opposite I would say, the shortest possible mast for the given conditions would be the best choice :naughty:

And a fast not too high span racewing of course :thumb:

8) PF

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm

lovethepirk wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Hmmm, not sure it always is like that :roll:

Peter,

I jump all the time and here is my take on the issue, and I do ride alot in nasty chop and 20+ knots. First, not many people jump in 20+ knots nor do they venture out in those conditions. Even then, you are not keeled over that hard as you navigate swells and waves, you typically ride high and then when you see a wave you may be able to boost off of you then dip the board down slightly by engaging your lead hip and tack harder upwind to generate speed and pressure in the foil then explode off the wave. I can promise you a mast a little less than mine would not help me there b/c you just can't hold the edge over every wave in 20+ knots in non-flat water....you basically ride calmly then find your set and engage. I guess looking back critically I could agree b/c my foil is deeper in the water approaching a wave I have more energy and time to explode out, but it is negligible imho.

Obviously in flatter water, or for us here on a south 17knot wind the water is somewhat tame and you can then just ride leaning over and pick your moment. There are a few times I love the long mast for jumping, but typically the best boosts are in a controlled simple lean and progress into slamming weight into that lead hip and getting that board lower to the water before you let the foil explode for you with as much water as it can. Just my experience! Anything OTHER than jumping the longer the mast the happier I would be :)

All things considered the best boosting hydrofoil wing is a fast one that can accelerate quickly and then exit fast out of the water. The wing is more important than the mast length.
Agreed on all points here. Speed and line load and explosive send off a nice swell or wave is magic. 1m mast is minimum viable in waves over a couple feet in my opinion or you spend too much time trying to keep wing in the water and board from touchdown to think about a clean launch.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 am

Anyone got a recommendation on great boosting kites? ive been riding Naish Trip kites foiling and have been nailing board offs on them, but they just don't seem to provide the hang I need to do spinning board offs. Ideally I'd like a tube kite I can ride in surf on a twintip with too.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 am

Osprey1 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 am
Anyone got a recommendation on great boosting kites? ive been riding Naish Trip kites foiling and have been nailing board offs on them, but they just don't seem to provide the hang I need to do spinning board offs. Ideally I'd like a tube kite I can ride in surf on a twintip with too.

All good fun and freeride/freestyle hydrofoil LEI kites are lousy at hangtime, generally, because of their depower/windrange which is contradictory characteristics usually.

Foil kites are great of course, as more efficient and lift and still loads of depower when not going fast :thumb:

More racelike LEI kites like the EDGE are probably the best choice for hangtime kites would be my assumption :D

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”