A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Liquid Force Impulse review

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Just wanted to get this review out for those interested in if this wing set up if for them. First off it isn't a fast foil. You want to go fast, then get a Thruster, moses, or slingshot. If you're riding in waves, chop, light winds and or want to practice some foot work on the board in flat water, then this is a great set up. I found that riding the Impulse felt like I was in the matrix. Everything slowed way down. Tricks that I needed a lot of speed for on other wings to do, were able to be done at really slow speeds. I could pump the foil even sitting down and keep riding without the power of the kite. The fuselage and wings are carbon and paired with the galaxy board allows the board to sit on its side when in the water which is great for water starts strapless without having to hold one hand on the board while diving the kite. I also found that if I went for a trick and had no power after, I could keep foiling just by doing a few pumps. If you're into just mowing the lawn then this foil might give you the confidence to try new stuff since it's really easy to keep up on foil in turns and can be ridden at such slow speeds. If you like to ride swell and waves, I can't see it getting any better than this. I even fell on the wing one time and had a black and blue mark for a few days but never broke skin which I really like about this setup, no sharp edges to get cut on. Another great part of this wing set up is you can throw it on the shorter mast and go surf foil with it when the wind dies out completely. I do ride for LF and have a school that is LF gear so I can be a little biased but, I try to ride everything I can get my hands on and I have owned several foils other than LF over the years some better many worse.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Liquid Force Impulse review

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 am

Sounds fun but slow.
So to be clear, the LF Impulse is the same as the Cloud IX 24 or the 27?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:55 am

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I have no conflict of interest. This is the right foil for small to medium waves. Originally designed by Cloud IX as their advanced SUP foil, it is the right size for kiting (about 1100 sq cm). I believe some of the larger wings (1400 +) out there, including Cloud Ix’s have too much lift and are too slow for higher performance wave foiling.

In my experience, everything by OP is accurate.

To highlight one really fun aspect: With the galaxy board, it really does sit on its side (not sure how much the board contributes to this behavior). Almost to the point where it is a minor hindrance as you have to take the time to sink it to turn if you want to go the other direction. Also, it does not shoot forward when you fall off. Even in good sized swell, it just kinda tilts and bobs. It does float down of course but I am often waiting for it. No more crazy chasing of the downwind foil and much less likelihood of foil chasing you. I did fall really hard on the wing once And was glad the edges are rounded.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

cool. LF impulse or cloud ix 24 have earned a spot in the wish list for me.
Challenged by the "AVS" wing Zeeko are teasing that resists ventilation.
Or some nice carbon options from moses or ketos if my house cats start laying golden eggs...

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:26 pm

BWD wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm
cool. LF impulse or cloud ix 24 have earned a spot in the wish list for me.
Challenged by the "AVS" wing Zeeko are teasing that resists ventilation.
Or some nice carbon options from moses or ketos if my house cats start laying golden eggs...
Sell the cats to fund the carbon!

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm

I forgot to mention that if you're foiling and come tot he surface, since there is a bunch of surface area, you'll be able to ride out of it and keep foiling. Great for the white water when heading out. Also when you wipe out, the shape of the front wing keeps it from shooting out of the water so no more tomahawk from big crashes. If you're in South Florida and want to try it out, I have one for demo and the P27 from cloud IX also. I've ridden that with the kite and it's really a lot of fun also.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm

I have the impulse wings and coming from the medium aspect wings to the impulse wings scared the crap out of me. These are definitely not beginner wings. I will try again in lower winds. You definitely need way less kite with these wings.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:42 am

Hey Laughingman,
Make sure to put the foil all the way back near the tail of the board. I find that with the lift of the foil, I don't use my rear strap and my rear foot is in front of the foil. Tons of lift so you can actually be powered and do toes on the nose.

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:36 am

i have had two sessions on it now and absolutely love it for riding small swell

i have only been foiling for one year and only really on the lf foil fish so don't consider this a comprehensive review but

compared to the foil fish it is a much higher wind range - can foil incredibly slow but also is stable a reasonable speed ( i need to take a gps with me next time to determine top speed but it felt faster than the foil fish)

great for riding slow and staying on the swell face, easy to turn, very forgiving if breach the foil

if you are into this style of riding, i highly recommend you get a demo - give yourself a couple of sessions to adjust to it

Return to “Hydrofoil”