Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How small a foilboard can be for very light wind?

Postby sabraxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks for your answer.

In my spot there is a discussion about if its possible or not to hydrofoil in 5 knots and a 80 x 37 cm flat wood board.

Huge difference from 140 x 40 with Lot of volume raceboard to 80 x 37 cm with no volume at all piece of wood, i guess

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm

sabraxas wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am
Well, thats my question.
I usually see kiters foiling in 4 to 6 knots with big race foilboards, 150x50 cm aprox, 30 lts of volume.
But never saw a kiter with an 80x35 cm flat woodboard, like Greg Drexler's use, in 5 knots.

Some people say it really doesnt matter what kind and size of board you have above, It all depends in your own skills and the characteristics of the hydrofoil.
Is this true in extra lightwind?

I guess the size of the board does matter in the early gliding in very lightwind, till the hydrofoil begins to work. Am i wrong?

You are not wrong, but spot on.

I disagree hugely with those saying board size doesnt matter (if skilled).

In fact, volume/area matters hugely also when ABOVE marginal wind.

The bigger the board, and more volume, and still light, the better for riding in low wind, and less problems :D

You can NOT start as early with a tiny board, no matter how skilled and which kite IMO.

As said in many other threads, also WHEN you got sufficient wind to ride a supersmall board, it is often better to choose a medium board instead of the smallest one, in medium winds (say 10-11 knots), as so many advantages if you are not extremely skilled, and you get a much better experience :thumb:

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm
sabraxas wrote:
Well, thats my question.
I usually see kiters foiling in 4 to 6 knots with big race foilboards, 150x50 cm aprox, 30 lts of volume.
But never saw a kiter with an 80x35 cm flat woodboard, like Greg Drexler's use, in 5 knots.

Some people say it really doesnt matter what kind and size of board you have above, It all depends in your own skills and the characteristics of the hydrofoil.
Is this true in extra lightwind?

I guess the size of the board does matter in the early gliding in very lightwind, till the hydrofoil begins to work. Am i wrong?

You are not wrong, but spot on.

I disagree hugely with those saying board size doesnt matter (if skilled).

In fact, volume/area matters hugely also when ABOVE marginal wind.

The bigger the board, and more volume, and still light, the better for riding in low wind, and less problems :D

You can NOT start as early with a tiny board, no matter how skilled and which kite IMO.

As said in many other threads, also WHEN you got sufficient wind to ride a supersmall board, it is often better to choose a medium board instead of the smallest one, in medium winds (say 10-11 knots), as so many advantages if you are not extremely skilled, and you get a much better experience :thumb:

8) PF
I never tried such a small board but the feeling ive since i got the r1v2 17m is that the kite takes me out of the water with a sling loop with ease so i dont need to be standing on the board waiting for another loop like before. I still did not have a day with a sea breeze that i couldnt start with this kite.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I think a higher volume board will make ultralight wind easier to water start and easier to surface jybe. So ultimately yes bigger board is better for ultralight 4-6 knots.

But if you have enough power to get on the plane with a small board then thats all you need if you can foil jybe.

I only have one board being a 120x45 no volume TT style construction board. I also run a foil with mounting plate rather the fin box. So there is additional drag when water starting and touching down. It is not an easy set up for ultra light wind.
That said I can water start and get on the plane in wind so light that my 12m chrono will no longer go upwind. That is bugger all wind.

Is it possible to ride a small board in light winds. Yes it is. Is it better than a board with more volume? no it is not. Will there be a point where the high volume board will get you going sooner? maybe but it wont be very much difference in wind power 1 knot perhaps?

Anything above 8 knots and a bigger board is just compensating for lack of foiling skill.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm

1 knot difference is, if from 6 to 5 knots equal to 44 percent less power you can ride in, HUGE distinction and it makes the world of a difference.

I know the number might just be taken out of the air ha haa, but still, it makes a huge difference when down in marginal winds like many are often, besides being easier for a non-perfect-foiler, and safer for everyone of course...

8) PF

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:11 am

Ummmm,

not sure where the problem is and how on Earth is Greg doing it in such a low wind on super small board. The ONLY benefit for having a big volume board is when swim in.

I've been told a small TT is a no go when started. 134-136cm is a Holly size. Absolutely disagree. Toby is 90kg riding 126cm. I'm 59kg now, riding 120cm. Nailing triple front roll rotations and board offs with rotations.

It's a skill and I'm with Plummet on this one. With a HF it's actually more skill than on TT. Guess it slightly depends on weight etc but that's where a HF specs are in.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 am

How on Earth is Greg doing it in such a low wind on super small board.
Is it really low wind in BRM videos? I allways tought he is able to use his minimalistic board since he does not need to go out in sub 10 knots. I hope i am wrong... : )

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am

sabraxas wrote:
Here it is :wink:
lowwind-small-deck.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_2a1z ... be&t=3m21s

It is a 90 x 38 cm board
But as Frank said. It is very hard to tell if in this moment the wind is 4, 5, or 6 knts at the position of the kite, which is a huge difference. But what I can say also riding sometimes with top racers: I don't expect anybody to beat me significant in low wind start with such a small board as Long ... and that is the most important Point:

The wing is big enough but also has a good glide ratio as in this case a Levitaz Cruizer with 990 cm² and without breakwing :wink:

You start in the same low wind with a smaller racefoil but then a big well shaped board also with volume will be crucial.

sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby sabraxas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks you very much Sergio for your picture and explanation. Thats what i needed.

This controversial point has solution. The bigger the hydrofoil wing, the smaller the board needed to waterstart in extra lightwind.

Great video.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:18 pm

There are two answers:

- if you have low-lift, high stall speed foil - you need a large board so you can ride on water while gaining speed to get wing lift
- if you have an appropriate large wing (Moses 633, MHL 130-150-170) with high-lift, low stall speed - you'll be up foiling upon first kite dive. All you need from the board is to keep your foil afloat, it can be tiny

I started with MHL Lift orginal board, then tried 4'6" Dwarfcraft and quickly went to 3'6" Dwarfcraft. I love that baby and I'm looking for a good 3"x16"x1" board now

Return to “Hydrofoil”