jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

mast length with bigger wings

Postby jkrug » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:23 pm

i'm considering getting a bigger foil wing like an impulse/takuma. some have told me i will also want a shorter mast because the standard mast (approx 94 cm) will be too big/unwieldy for it. but others have told me the shorter masts (approx 60 cm) recommended with these bigger wings are too short. this will be for kiting only...all conditions from flat to moderate waves. anyone with experience can clarify? for example, is it really bad to use 94 cm mast with these big wings, is it really good to use 60cm mast with them, or is it just personal preference? thx!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: mast length with bigger wings

Postby slowboat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't think standard kiting length masts are a problem with bigger wings. Shorter masts will be very annoying in waves.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Agree, no problems whatsoever with longer masts on big wings.

Difference where a short mast has advantage:

Short can be used in really low onshore winds, so possible to start.
Short can be better for surf and SUP at low water breaks (not kitesurf).

Otherwise only advantages with a longer mast in my experience, as can be used in a much wider range of conditions, also in low water breaks when kitesurfing and some experience :D

8) PF

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 pm

I used my Moses Onda 633 set up on the 61cm mast on the first day with a 12mtr kite in small chop conditions, and the next day on my 101 cm mast and a 10mtr kite in the fresher winds and very choppy sea conditions.
I did prefer the 2nd day as I could let the foil fly at full speed on the long mast, and the height made my gybes feel smoother and more controlled as the extra height kept me well away from the messy waves underneath.
The short mast will come into its own in the shallow waters we get before and after high tide,including the large lagoons at low tide, and to help me get started more easily in direct onshore winds.
I have not experienced this draggy feeling that has been mentioned, but I have experienced the weird fact the 633 set up feels more slashy on the waves, very quick to turn, very responsive, more than any other Moses wings I own, and I have the full set of moses wings, although the race wings I own, have not been used as yet.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 am

At last I got to use the Onga 633 set up on the short 61 cm mast in the big lagoons we get here at low tide, started barely powered up on my 10 MTR, but then the front came in as forecast, but stronger, gusts, 20-31mph according to the local weather station, after a little practice I only needed water just over my waist to get going, as the lift from the wing was very strong and maintaining level flight across the shallow water became a lot easier and I did not have to think about it as I did on my last session with the little mast, and as confidence grew speed picked up and heelside upwind tracking was 100% better than on my Ist day on the 61,
Even as the chop and swell grew in size as the tide turned I was able to maintain a reasonable speed and navigate through at speed without ventilating, however gybing onto toe side overpowered became interesting and scary as I found myself flying too deep off wind to slow myself down and the speed off wind often forced me to switch back heelside as my confidence in keeping the wing under the surface was diminished, lots more practice required and a smaller kite!
I think the optional 71cm mast might have helped but then I would have been hitting the bottom more often,
What was fun was when I decided to see how far I could sail along the shoreline out of the lagoon where the depth is minimal around knee deep in many places but with a sandy bottom, tried it once on a long mast with my standard 548 wing and failed miserably, but this 633 wing allowed me to ride slowly and maintain level flight with the wing barey under the surface, I navigated out of the lagoon and along the massive shallow shoreline for ages untill I ran out of water,
Brilliant! But as the water was so shallow, less than knee deep I had a hell of a long walk back across the massive beach to the car park, so the Onga can take you to places longer masts and smaller wings will not allow.
Just to emphasize just how easy it is to maintain level flight on this wing there were a few times during the day when I had 2 full line twists after double kite loops, and a few times I sent the bar round the wrong way to unwind, but the wing just kept me up there nice and level as I was spinning the bar round one way then back again to sort them out, brilliant!

Return to “Hydrofoil”