Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Line length, gybing and down-looping

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Line length, gybing and down-looping

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am

I must say that in really marginal light wind, (say 4-6 knots) with my 15m medium/high ratio) , I first initiate the loop and then initiate the jibe only when the kite has turn 180 degree and is pointing in the new direction ; not sure it is the best technique in all cases, but it is the only way I found to ensure the kite will pursue its 180 degree turning without being slowed down by a loss of line tension and finish in water; this could also be linked to the kite design, since my kite stops turning with loss of line tension, but it remains as a block , so acceptable if it is positioned in the correct direction (by the time I tension again the line after the jibe) .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:54 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 am
I must say that in really marginal light wind, (say 4-6 knots) with my 15m medium/high ratio) , I first initiate the loop and then initiate the jibe only when the kite has turn 180 degree and is pointing in the new direction ; not sure it is the best technique in all cases, but it is the only way I found to ensure the kite will pursue its 180 degree turning without being slowed down by a loss of line tension and finish in water; this could also be linked to the kite design, since my kite stops turning with loss of line tension, but it remains as a block , so acceptable if it is positioned in the correct direction (by the time I tension again the line after the jibe) .

Hmmm Regis...

The reason why you should carve hard having the kite up high, before turning the kite down, is to ensure you have tight lines all the way around - and that you get a kick in the ass on the way out full speed, beside a tight kite turn.

If you fly the kite around first (also easy to turn it tight), and follow the kite - it will end up with little pull on the way out of the turn instead is my experience, as your lines will go slack when you carve around downwind having turned the kite first - it does not work with LEI kites at least, and find it the same with my foil kite I would say :roll:

But sometimes it can be the only or at least easy way, to make a jibe in marginal winds - maybe you get a touch down at the end where the kite stops pulling for a moment, but at least you are around in a reasonably safe way if you have the kite up high on the new tack :D

8) PF

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Your explanation reaches my english understanding limit but I think I get your point ; I understand that you talk about moving the kite up, while I describes a downloop; I also think that this downloop method would not work with a LEI or a race kite because it will collapse when loosing all tension line during 3-4 seconds ; however in say 4-5 knots, if I change my direction and go toward the kite before having made at least half of the kite loop, due to my apparent speed downwind which is relatively high vs real wind, I loose significant tension and the kite (the Pulsion at least but very few kite would hang up in the air) will stop moving and go in straight line due to this tension loss while I am carving downwind... then the kite dies (too far in the opposite window) or turns too wide and hits the water in case of half loop.

In reality with the 15m2, traction becomes too hard for my 60 kg during the downloop, so I am forced to release the tension by initiating (just a little bit) the turn while the kite has not completelly finished the loop, but in that case I try to turn the hydrofoil the minimum possible to force maintaining a high tension up to the end of the loop, and then I turn tight the hydrofoil to pass the pure downwind direction shortly and point upwind to re-tension again as fast as possible.

But maybe it is a bad habit that the Pulsion allows me because of its really impressive slack line stability ; you can see it a bit in this video at 0:40 (now I try to carve even later but you can see how the Pulsion is immobile until I tension again the lines), at 1:25 (from toeside so I was forced to initiate the turn sooner) , a bit at 3:15 (but carving was still already too early vs what i like to do):
phpBB [video]

You can see also at 1:15 a gibe with kite up (no downloop) but I feel I can use this methode only if the wind is a bit higher (here say 8 knots at that moment on the video). I must say I love downloops, so might be biaised :D . And with this wind, any new trick tries is a high risk to swim back to shore :oops:

I think that long lines are an advantage in that configuration. Open to your reaction to maybe better catch your points.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm

No Regis, I am only talking about downlooping here, as this is what this thread is about :thumb:

Great turns you make, but if you got a lot of speed, you HAVE to turn before the kite, to keep lines tight - are you using bigger slower wings or faster wings ?

8) PF

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm

I use a "Custom" prototype of ketos easy but a bit smaller. In between officials freeride and easy.
Ok tanks for the clarification abot loop. But i feel and experienced that if i go toward the kite i get not enough line tension to put the big 15m2 in an short turn radius... am i the only one to experience that in marginal wind ?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 pm
I use a "Custom" prototype of ketos easy but a bit smaller. In between officials freeride and easy.
Ok tanks for the clarification abot loop. But i feel and experienced that if i go toward the kite i get not enough line tension to put the big 15m2 in an short turn radius... am i the only one to experience that in marginal wind ?
You have to make the turn before the kite loops, so when you are already going in the new direction the kite its still looping and you can keep line tension to make it loop in shorter radius.

Return to “Hydrofoil”