Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Andersson Foils Bi-Directional

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Andersson Foils Bi-Directional

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Yeah. You get the impression that the ierofoil guys saw the way forwards when they released their V2 amphidrome that could be configured to work as a directional as well as twin tip canard design. Tough market to break into.

I understand the problems they face though. Its pretty difficult to get positive PR. You can't just pass them off to inexperienced foilers as they'd struggle just to ride, and any experience foiler would be comparing it to efficient designs so wouldn't see any benefits over the existing designs but would see the drawbacks.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Can someone actually cite a strength of a bidirectional foil? Is there actually any justification for this? Is the idea to prevent having to learn how to gybe or tack so that you can be a kook just bringing your kite over the top at 12 oclock every time you want to change direction like someone on their first twin-tip lesson?

I want to hear someone who is a really good kiteboarder tell me why this is the right way to go hydrofoiling, because as far as I can tell, this design hydrofoil is analogous to this design of airplane:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 pm
Can someone actually cite a strength of a bidirectional foil? Is there actually any justification for this? Is the idea to prevent having to learn how to gybe or tack so that you can be a kook just bringing your kite over the top at 12 oclock every time you want to change direction like someone on their first twin-tip lesson?

I want to hear someone who is a really good kiteboarder tell me why this is the right way to go hydrofoiling, because as far as I can tell, this design hydrofoil is analogous to this design of airplane:

:thumb: :thumb:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Bolting one of these to an unmodified twinny to learn how to foil seems like a good way to break both your board and your ankles, all without really learning how to foil.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm

A local guy who used to do a lot of long distance kiting on a TT looked into one of the bi directional foils as a way to be able to carry a foil in a backpack and be able to swap between depending on water depths on one of his mega treks. He tried for a long time to be able to mast the thing (and he is a good kiter) and eventually broke it....without ever mastering it. He now rides a Moses.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:09 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm
A local guy who used to do a lot of long distance kiting on a TT looked into one of the bi directional foils as a way to be able to carry a foil in a backpack and be able to swap between depending on water depths on one of his mega treks. He tried for a long time to be able to mast the thing (and he is a good kiter) and eventually broke it....without ever mastering it. He now rides a Moses.

Well, I think nothing2seehere is spot on, and like you imply in above too cwood.

I understand the problems they face though. Its pretty difficult to get positive PR. You can't just pass them off to inexperienced foilers as they'd struggle just to ride, and any experience foiler would be comparing it to efficient designs so wouldn't see any benefits over the existing designs but would see the drawbacks.

It works actually pretty okay, the TT foil.

But as it is "chosen" by non directional riders with little experience maybe, they will struggle to learn.

And riders who CAN ride hydrofoils, would never use a TT foil because it, as you says, will not have the same perfect balance, nor be as efficient so only disadvantages yes.

BUT, it will work just fine indeed - the thing is just, that noone is ever gonna appreciate these because of above I would think :roll:

8) PF

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 pm

tough crowd :lol:

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:04 am

At this point of time the immediate future of foiling is towards waves. Which sort of goes against putting any effort into a TT based foil.
Being able to push foiling further into barrels and bigger surf. That’s worth some effort.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:05 am

If twin tip boards were not available in kiteboarding, I doubt it would become so popular. Bi-directional foil has much more appeal to TT riders - believe it or not, but they don't want to jibe, no matter how awesome you think it feels!

I'm actually excited about these new foils, even though I'm happy with my traditional setups. It is nice that someone puts time and money into this research. Plus, it is the most affordable option out of all existing attempts so far. At $450 I'm not sure if Dan makes any money at all! Hopefully we will hear more reports from real users of the new foil, rather then more opinions on why it shouldn't exist :naughty:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am

The problem is he's only done half the job. Without the clever way of bolting onto a twin tip non-destructively, its still another board you need in your quiver. The ierofoil solution (sold by takoon now) was clever because the stiffness you lost in having a flexy twin tip was partially compensated by the cradle that clipped onto the board.

That idea of 'if the wind drops off I'll just clip a foil onto the bottom of my board' is an appealing idea. I'd have bought one if it wasn't double the cost of a regular foil. The guy with the $450 foils should license the fitting system for a complete product.

Return to “Hydrofoil”