Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Bar and lines through foil on wipe out!

Postby marekmk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 am

What causes this dynamic?

I often see it with people who are up and riding and during a wipe out the foil comes out of the water and the lines/bar, end up through the lines.

What can a foiler do to avoid these issues please?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Bar and lines through foil on wipe out!

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:29 am

Its happened twice to me.

Once in a crash. I ejected the kite while I was being pulled underwater with tangled with the foil. The foil cut the safety line so the whole kite and foil blew away. The kite dropped the foil 200 meters downwind. The kite was lost forever. It was a long stupid swim but I'm glad I wasn't hurt.

The other time I was body-dragging in waves and a wave pushed it through. Again, pulled underwater. This time I untangled it while underwater.

I think awareness is key. Learn to fall away from the foil, upwind or far downwind. Also keeping the kite high helps..

I used to want to make a kooked-out bar with a net between the two side leaders to keep the foil from going through. If foil through lines happens again I will be mad at myself for losing interest.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 am

Maybe some info in this older thread ?

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2391989

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:42 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:29 am
Its happened twice to me.

Once in a crash. I ejected the kite while I was being pulled underwater with tangled with the foil. The foil cut the safety line so the whole kite and foil blew away. The kite dropped the foil 200 meters downwind. The kite was lost forever. It was a long stupid swim but I'm glad I wasn't hurt.

The other time I was body-dragging in waves and a wave pushed it through. Again, pulled underwater. This time I untangled it while underwater.

I think awareness is key. Learn to fall away from the foil, upwind or far downwind. Also keeping the kite high helps..

I used to want to make a kooked-out bar with a net between the two side leaders to keep the foil from going through. If foil through lines happens again I will be mad at myself for losing interest.
Wow Jake that first incident is nuts! When this happened were you already aware of the risk of these tangles? I ask because I like to think my awareness is preventing them from happening, but feel it's not enough.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:05 pm

The first time I knew it could happen I just didn't think of it as a probability. I still think getting smacked by the foil is a bigger risk. I was very new to foiling and trying to go downwind and flying the kite low. Now I'm just kind of new to foiling and I think the trick to preventing both is to fall far from the foil. By awareness I mean maintain awareness about where the foil is and where it is going to be. If the kite is high, you have more options to power up and pull yourself away from the falling foil, and a gentler fall when you ventilate. Also imagine the safe distance between yourself and the board with hydrofoil is at least 3x the normal distance you would want to fall for example from a surfboard in waves.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Drive it into a ditch and get clear. Once you get that, it doesn't really happen, much.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Haven't to me once in the waves in ultra light wind. Real fun. I was also getting washed in through a boulder field and had to decide which to save the foil or the foil kite. Magically I managed to get both through the boulder field and me without damage.

After a while, you get a handle on how to crash so you depart from the foil and it doesn't hunt you down. These days the foil is nowhere near me when i crash.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Yeaa thats the RIGHT ATTITUDE !

"These days the foil is nowhere near me when i crash."

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 am

Good reminder this subject.
A reminder to me to buy a propper marine line knife, which I have just done! a whichard marine knife that claims to cut through any type of line, soft grippy handle with spring out blade with auto lock, not pointy, and with a leash point.the rubbish little hook knife in the harness is just to unfriendly to use easily and murder to locate when you can't see it.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wichard-Offs ... 0148.m2813
I have been in 4 nasty line wraps where the bar and lines have wrapped around the mast and jammed up around the wings,on all occasions the wind was not strong so the kite only looped lazily a few times allowing me to duck down to untangle the mess, but it was scary as the lines get so tight and the bar is so hard to remove when you can't see which way to push it off,
the causes were - twice when learning how to gybe and simply running towards the kite and falling through the slack lines, early mistakes which once aware (as I am now) is relatively easy to avoid.
The other 2 wraps were really scary as I was attempting to jybe on wave faces using the power of the waves to accelerate me round, very exciting as the push is addictive but as I was attempting my early ones the waves were too big for me and I tripped up flying forwards and then rolled by the wave, really not nice as you can feel the lines wrapping you up with the board,now I have experienced these I am more aware of what to avoid(half hearted scared attitude when turning in on the wave)
for example when out 2 days ago in strong winds on a rough bumpy wavy sea I was thinking through my escape routes as I was picking my waves to turn on before commiting to the turn, rather that just going in to see what would happen.
I did get it wrong a few times but dived to the side with a powered up kite avoiding the lines with the kite sill under control which is so important in the waves as we all know!
but the knife is going to stay with me when it arrives for those moments not planned for, ie; another kiter crashing into me on a twin tip for example, which is my biggest fear on holiday as some of them just seem to aim straight for me which is bad news when you are on a foil.
Someone above mentioned its like a right of passage, you do need to experience it to deal with it more effectively or avoid it in the first place, final thing to mention, in all my wraps there was not the option to release, the bar was jammed up against the mast and wings with the leader lines and floats totally wrapped around themselves, if I had a good knife to hand then I would have been very tempted to cut free on just one of these occasions as it did freak me out as I was jammed up against the board with the mast inches from my bare arms,

Return to “Hydrofoil”