A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Re: What got you into Hydrofoiling?

Postby Kykeon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Well, more than half have a sailing background.
I bet that the same question at the guys with the boots will find something skate related...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 pm
LiquidXtasy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:51 pm
Nothing i think it looks boring
I know what you mean and full of hassles...it's like seeing someone do any type sport that you have no interest in whatsoever...there is no WOW......no OMG...feel nothing
When i compare my fun in the waves with surfboard and a foiler zooms fast along pretending to be riding a wave i feel zero envy
Sorry Hydrofoiling ...i've got no butterflies
Whats both your guys history getting into kiting then?

From this thread it seems that the people that really like foiling are the guys who like adventuring around rather than skatepark style tricks. I'm guessing you guys are more trick orientated. In which case foiling will not interest you.
And fair enough. it doesnt have too. Just like wake styling doesnt interest me. The glory is that we have so many different types of riding and boards to choose from.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Wow PF, Marc was way ahead of the curve! Typical that it's a frenchman! They are always ahead. He's doing the Greg Drexler moves already then, and the foil looks really slow.
Plus he has right color on his board!

When I finally saw some video and then a local here doing first flights, I saw it as a challenge to learn. It looked fun, I was also intrigued by the physics.

I had no idea how fun it would turned out to do. It was wildly more exciting and amazing feeling to fly.
For me it's like 1m of pure powder on a snowboard, but with kite power. But better. Because the powder is moving and dynamic.
For me it was like discovering I could jump off a building and actually glide and fly with my arms. It was that surprising.

I'm just starting to nail my carves, and the ones that click and I get speed, lean, centripetal force and snap around carve: they are magic.

There's no way you can look at it and know: " that's boring ". You are ignorant. ( no offence) I mean that in the true sense of the word.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Totally. Floating along at 30+ knots passing jet skis at full throttle, 2' off the water in perfect silence powered only by the wind is the worst, total snooze fest.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm
LiquidXtasy wrote:
Totally. Floating along at 30+ knots passing jet skis at full throttle, 2' off the water in perfect silence powered only by the wind is the worst, total snooze fest.
sometimes I nod off

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:51 am

I'm another dinghy racer. Spent ages 14 to 16 racing Moths and Cherubs. Then learnt to windsurf at 18 and did that constantly until age 28 when we had kids and moved overseas. 12 years living in Queenstown NZ had me sink my teeth into snowboarding and fly fishing. Moved back to Perth, Western Australia in 2008 and an old windsurfing buddy taught me to Kite. Fell for that immediately and was hooked. At the end of 2016 I saw some guys at my local spot who were hydrofoiling and were loving it. I started googling and reading about it and thought it must feel amazing to do. Unlike others on here, I didn't think it looked boring at all. My imagination was fired up. All I saw was endless powder runs on my snowboard anytime there was wind and no season passes or lift queues. Once I started, it was everything I had hoped and more. I get twice the buzz from carving a nice flying transition than I did from any trick or jump on a TT. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

You are correct Tom, Marc Blanc was years ahead of EVERYONE, and did what is only done today, back then 8 years ago.

He was not the first no, others got that credit indeed.

But he was the first to take it to a totally new level, freestyle/freeride foiling on "new" gear, strapless, and I bow in respect for him as a true pioneer, moving the limits to the extreme because of dedication and talent, way before "the world" started hydrofoiling for real, and that was mostly because of the racing advantages :thumb:

I am also an ex dinghy racer, all kinds - but that was before windsurfing existed.
Moved to windsurfing and surfing in 1978 and forward, and kept both till now, eventhough windsurf is only a bit of windfoil now.

Surf and Windsurf (and now kitesurf) is so much closer to the elements in every aspect, great :rollgrin:

Flown gliders, hanggliders, some aerobatics too.
Flown RC glider competitions, RC helicopter aerobatics.

Loving EVERYTHING in or on the water (except motorized :( ), so as said, hydrofoiling combines everything - waves, wind, flying, gliding, surfing, being one with the sea which everything is all about for me.

Every other sport on land, also those that "resembles somewhat" might be fun and good exercise but never comes near the water zen feeling, they are (almost "were") simply a great passtime but dont come nowhere near the sensation of anything in or on or above the water :naughty:

8) PF

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I kiteboard for about 18 years now and in parallel ive always raced Karts, Cars and Motorcycles. So lets say i like the speed :)

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 am

Recreational hobbiecat sailor during my studies and a bit afterwards.
Then relocated and the logistics made it very hard.
Got into kiteboarding and love the extra spice of the jumps, rotations etc but hate the upwind struggle and low wind days.
Got into HF for a session saver but ended a new exciting sensation!

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Started sailing on Cadet more than half a century ago. Liked OK’dinghy planning potential I started windsurf late seventies.
End of ‚81 communist junta killed Solidarity fredom movement, and Iron Courtain become even higher for people in Poland. In ‚82 or ‚83 saw a picture of hydrofoil under windsurf board. Built one by myself. It was not easy (you should know, that there will be shortage of sand 20 years after comunism introduction on Sahara, and Poland was occupied by them already 35 years then). For the first time I heard the silence under my windglider. My foils broke down after few trial sessions, but the silence remained in my mind.

Started kitsurfing 15 years ago I bought my first foilboard from Magma/Fuerte some 6 years ago and after 2 sessions on nb lake heard the silence once again.

For me it is a sport for grandpa’s.
Smaller kite, less bar forces, forget choppy conditions, no spray onto the eyes and, what is most important- I ride twice as much in local lake in winds as low as 6-9 knots.
I jump now twice as high as on TT.
After few heavy crashes (water is hard at +20 kts) I reduce max foil speed by manipulating AoA of both wings and I use a light helmet to stay on a safe side.

Love carving turns, Baltic vaves and boosting.

Tadeusz

Return to “Hydrofoil”