My first long swim

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: My first long swim

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm

After dropping and not being able to relaunch a foil kite, any swim with a LEI is just a walk in the park :)

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

6) Otherwise put kite LE down in the water behind you and slowly swim back using alternating strokes to avoid cramping (I use mostly side crawl)
I dont understand, you put he LE behind you and swim, with it, and you are pulling it? How do you do that with all the lines disconnected? Use an extra leash?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm
I dont understand, you put he LE behind you and swim, with it, and you are pulling it? How do you do that with all the lines disconnected? Use an extra leash?
If you use a full length leash for your kite leash you just clip that to the pump leash point.
If you use a mini-leash for your kite leash then you unleash your board from your second leash and use that and just push the board ahead of you or swim on top of it.

I personally use a mini Cab leash for my kite and carry a Slingshot handle pass leash for leashing during swims.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm
After dropping and not being able to relaunch a foil kite, any swim with a LEI is just a walk in the park :)
Got that right,couple of self rescue swims with a foil kite really make you appreciate the LEIs,foil kites might be great for racing but for the common freeride foil rider,I'll take a LEI anyday too each his own thing I guess

4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4liner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I have a label with my name, cell # and e-mail on my kites, bar, board, even inside my helmet. It may help in recovering lost items and the worse case scenario.....

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Got that right,couple of self rescue swims with a foil kite really make you appreciate the LEIs,foil kites might be great for racing but for the common freeride foil rider,I'll take a LEI anyday too each his own thing I guess
I respect all choices and understand the sentiment but you can pry my foil kites out of my cold dead hands :-)

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:
I think the single skin foil freeride kite for foiling should be further pushed forward just because of that.

For me the worst part of long swims with foil kites is not the swim itself, is to carry a 15m foilkite fullfilled with 100 l of water out of the beach break. It's just a back breaker pain in the arse.

That is particularly aided in my main spot because swell usually shows up just after the wind completely dies.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm
pitbulldoug wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:
I think the single skin foil freeride kite for foiling should be further pushed forward just because of that.

For me the worst part of long swims with foil kites is not the swim itself, is to carry a 15m foilkite fullfilled with 100 l of water out of the beach break. It's just a back breaker pain in the arse.

That is particularly aided in my main spot because swell usually shows up just after the wind completely dies.
Key to have a rapid self rescue fold in half and roll before you get the tons of water into it. I always tell people not to fight it. If the kite is down and no sign of re-launch, get into action so you have a nice roll that you can put on top of your board and not a sea anchor.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 pm

4liner wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm
I have a label with my name, cell # and e-mail on my kites, bar, board, even inside my helmet. It may help in recovering lost items and the worse case scenario.....
Check Dude. Consideration of the people who may have to deal with the aftermath. ( wife is an organ transplantation co-ordinator)

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

The lines around the ankles happen to me. Scary as fk. They were wound tight. I crawled out of the water. I had been close to shore and was being watched by a load of people. What I learned was my deep water pack-down skills were terrible. That and lying on the kite are two great lessons.

Return to “Hydrofoil”