My first long swim

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My first long swim

Postby Pedro Marcos » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm

After dropping and not being able to relaunch a foil kite, any swim with a LEI is just a walk in the park :)

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug 2016
Gear: Drifters, 2016 7, 9, 12

Postby skideeppow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

6) Otherwise put kite LE down in the water behind you and slowly swim back using alternating strokes to avoid cramping (I use mostly side crawl)
I dont understand, you put he LE behind you and swim, with it, and you are pulling it? How do you do that with all the lines disconnected? Use an extra leash?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm
I dont understand, you put he LE behind you and swim, with it, and you are pulling it? How do you do that with all the lines disconnected? Use an extra leash?
If you use a full length leash for your kite leash you just clip that to the pump leash point.
If you use a mini-leash for your kite leash then you unleash your board from your second leash and use that and just push the board ahead of you or swim on top of it.

I personally use a mini Cab leash for my kite and carry a Slingshot handle pass leash for leashing during swims.

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish,Cloud,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,foil MHl,Alpine,cloud 9 surf foils

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm
After dropping and not being able to relaunch a foil kite, any swim with a LEI is just a walk in the park :)
Got that right,couple of self rescue swims with a foil kite really make you appreciate the LEIs,foil kites might be great for racing but for the common freeride foil rider,I'll take a LEI anyday too each his own thing I guess

4liner
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Hydrofoil

Postby 4liner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I have a label with my name, cell # and e-mail on my kites, bar, board, even inside my helmet. It may help in recovering lost items and the worse case scenario.....

cwood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Got that right,couple of self rescue swims with a foil kite really make you appreciate the LEIs,foil kites might be great for racing but for the common freeride foil rider,I'll take a LEI anyday too each his own thing I guess
I respect all choices and understand the sentiment but you can pry my foil kites out of my cold dead hands :-)

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT

Postby BOEMIX » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:
I think the single skin foil freeride kite for foiling should be further pushed forward just because of that.

For me the worst part of long swims with foil kites is not the swim itself, is to carry a 15m foilkite fullfilled with 100 l of water out of the beach break. It's just a back breaker pain in the arse.

That is particularly aided in my main spot because swell usually shows up just after the wind completely dies.

cwood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm
pitbulldoug wrote:
Pedro Marcos wrote:
I think the single skin foil freeride kite for foiling should be further pushed forward just because of that.

For me the worst part of long swims with foil kites is not the swim itself, is to carry a 15m foilkite fullfilled with 100 l of water out of the beach break. It's just a back breaker pain in the arse.

That is particularly aided in my main spot because swell usually shows up just after the wind completely dies.
Key to have a rapid self rescue fold in half and roll before you get the tons of water into it. I always tell people not to fight it. If the kite is down and no sign of re-launch, get into action so you have a nice roll that you can put on top of your board and not a sea anchor.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:12 pm

4liner wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm
I have a label with my name, cell # and e-mail on my kites, bar, board, even inside my helmet. It may help in recovering lost items and the worse case scenario.....
Check Dude. Consideration of the people who may have to deal with the aftermath. ( wife is an organ transplantation co-ordinator)

apollo4000
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

The lines around the ankles happen to me. Scary as fk. They were wound tight. I crawled out of the water. I had been close to shore and was being watched by a load of people. What I learned was my deep water pack-down skills were terrible. That and lying on the kite are two great lessons.

Return to “Hydrofoil”