Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Multiple kites or multiple bars

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Multiple kites or multiple bars

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

In short, all kites smaller than 10 m2 works just dandy for hydrofoiling, so you can use "whatever" kites you got in this range.

Only when you go to bigger than 10 m2, you need "lighter" kites, as otherwise you will experience they suddenly "drop" in lulls.

Possible to ride with these when learning, but you will soon find out it is a PITA...

But your 13 m2 Edge is actually a really good and light kite, compared to many other "normal" kites, so will work well :D

If you plan on using smaller than 10 m2 kites, then you dont really need extensions IMO.

They are good when you are on the verge to not being able to foil, but mostly with bigger kites.

When below 10 m2 two different kites will give you WAY more windrange, than normal and longer lines on one kite :thumb:

Having said that, extension lines cost almost nothing, so should be in every non racers quiver :naughty:

8) PF

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:43 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 pm
While learning, I would stick with one line length (probably 25). There are enough challenges learning to foil. Don’t add different line lengths to the equation.
Agree with this

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 pm

"Hardest foiling skill to learn is subtle transition from loading against the kite to just riding the foil and lufffing the kite or moving it through transitions. You don’t learn this while constantly loading the kite and heeling over hard."

Very observant. Never heard this expressed, and totally agree.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

I also agree and from this also directly comes requirement for foiling kite - smooth in transition - easy and "analog" depower and as controllable as possible with slacked lines.

Not directly related to this thread - sorry for this but i have question. I tried on same session sonic2 11 and then my 9 Neo. It was like 6-10 knots.
What quality makes Sonic easier to go downwind without redirecting with the kite in direct compare with NEO dedicated "drifting" wave kite? Its also size related?

I was actually really happy on Sonic minus one thing. Powerstrokes was scary - this thing when start moving pull very HARD and what is worse very LONG.

Return to “Hydrofoil”