Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Multiple kites or multiple bars

Postby ScoopZ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Im going to begin the HF learning curve this year and i've been thinking about kite selection.

I currently have a 13m edge and an older 10m lightxc which are of course very different. I'm contemplating picking up an 8m wave kite and retire the old 10. I wish to use two bars, 25m and 30m line lengths. How effective would this be? Ultimately i'm thinking of moving away from my large kite to a 1-2 wave kite quiver maximum, above a 10kts threshold.
(Main reason for not focusing on using the edge being the trickier relaunch)

Would you rather have more kites or try a one kite quiver with different line lengths? (Assuming a limited budget)

Thanks.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Multiple kites or multiple bars

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Difficult to answer, but you can certainly increase your range a lot with an 8 m2 and two linesets 25 and 30 meter yes.

I got "loads" of kites, so usually take a bigger kite and use my "normal" 26 meter lines.

Only when around or sub 10 knots, or changing winds, I go to 30-31 meter lines with a 9 or 12 m2 kite.

Your 13 m2 edge with long lines will actually let you ride in 8 knots, but of course, if it hits the drink you have to drift ashore, and it can happen quite easy in this wind - but it is totally worth it, I think you will find out in time...

If a limited budget, I would use extensions and not two bars.

Assume you ride waveboards since you aim for a 1 or 2 kite wavekite quiver.

So it depends on your conditions IMO, as for waveboards a 9 and a 7 could work fine, and also for hydrofoiling down to 9 or 10 knots.

8) Peter

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 pm

I think you need 2-3 kites if you want a normal (10-30 knits) wind range.
If you are small and use a supersize wave foil, they might be 4, 6, 9m lei kites.
If you are bigger and/or more of a “medium” size foil wing, maybe 6, 8, and 10 or 12m.
Adding 5m line extensions is a good way to get more low end from your big kite, just because the power stroke lasts a little longer.
A one kite quiver I think would be pretty limiting even with a foil. Even so, I got 2/3 ofmy foil sessions last year on a 9m, with 80kg weight and a fairly big zeeko carver foil, usually 12-15kt winds.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Both change in kitesize and line length change timing. The change to slower turnig of a bigger kite is more intuitive for me.

For example very short lines mean a very fast change in angle meaning waterstart is more challenging. Long lines have a slower pendulum effect when jumping. I prefer changing kite size and more and more using my long lines.

One trend I think is cool is seeing people use one kite and bar for all conditions, choosing the foil in modest wind and twintip in big wind.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 pm

While learning, I would stick with one line length (probably 25). There are enough challenges learning to foil. Don’t add different line lengths to the equation.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:29 am

Find barely used second hand kites.
In my region this is always doable if you have some patience.... better spend 700€ on two good kites that have been sitting in their bags for two years than on one brand new one..

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 am

Learning to foil is easier on a big kite, up to a point. Being powered makes it easier to muscle through mistakes with water starts and pointing too far up wind, etc. Everything happens slower with a big kite. However, the downside is once you are up on the foil, you get overpowered and let the bar out, losing steering, and the kite drops toward the water since you’re concentrating on the foil. I dropped my kites in the water more learning to foil that learning to ride TT or SB. Easy relaunching kite is nice in this regard.

At 170 lbs, I rode my foil with a 9m surf kite from 15-25 when I was learning to start and ride upwind and having just one kite was fine for that stage.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:55 am

downside is once you are up on the foil, you get overpowered
I think this is why half the guys I know who tried foiling have not stick with it. Key is to establish new top end limits for the kite(s) and not violate them. When a 12 starts you riding at 8 knots instead of 12 or 14 knots, you need to put the 12 away at 14 or15 and get out the 9. If it’s already blowing 10-12, just use the 8 or 9 unless you are large yourself or on a speed foil. At least while learning. Hardest foiling skill to learn is subtle transition from loading against the kite to just riding the foil and lufffing the kite or moving it through transitions. You don’t learn this while constantly loading the kite and heeling over hard.
Too much power just gives death runs, death loops, awkward falls etc. that’s my perspective anyway

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have a fairly wide selection of boards and a mixed ozone quiver, and I'd like to narrow down to a kite better suited to directionals, I think at my weight 85kg the 8-10 would be most flexible with foil board to SB and TT.

Im not sure if it would annoy me taking extensions on/off regularly, but its worth the modest cost to try, thanks.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm

From my limited experience ca. 10h riding time on foili. 90kg - strapless surfboard background.
It depends from WING is first answer.

I have big moses ONDA and i was on water with 9 north Neo barely flying while on same time there was 60kg girl on race foil with 15 FS sonic II. Both comfortable powered
I have Neos 9 and 7 waiting for 12 Mono. I already missing smaller kite.

For foiling only my ideal kites right now will be something around 10-11 size that fly in lowest possible wind and ideally relaunchable. Not as sharp powerstroke as race foil.
Then lightest and easiest to relaunch wave kites 8-6-4. All on 27m lines. Kite less than 8 are already fast enough and powerstroke is already spicy enough to want them any spicier.

Thats is for BIG wing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”