Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rider weight versus foil classification (wind range)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rider weight versus foil classification (wind range)

Postby Dave K » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 am

Foil wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm
What is very different is when the Moses 633 Onda set up is on the water, this changes our choice of kite size, I will now choose 1 or 2 kite sizes smaller than I would for the standard wing set up, the massive lift and crazy low stall speed allow this, so because of this people who are not up to the standard of a pro racer can easily enjoy stylish carving and turns without the fear of being splattered all over the surface of the water, which is the reason why my flying gybes came along in fine style very quickly once I bought one.
Thanks for the responses. I think I’m slowly starting to get it. The bottom line is that I would like to add a larger area foil (Lift 150, LF impulse) to my quiver because I think the slower speeds with a smaller kite will help me progress faster with transition skills. Plus I think it would just be fun to have an easy slow carvy foil to play with in flat water and mild surf.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am

Dave K wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 am
Foil wrote:
What is very different is when the Moses 633 Onda set up is on the water, this changes our choice of kite size, I will now choose 1 or 2 kite sizes smaller than I would for the standard wing set up, the massive lift and crazy low stall speed allow this, so because of this people who are not up to the standard of a pro racer can easily enjoy stylish carving and turns without the fear of being splattered all over the surface of the water, which is the reason why my flying gybes came along in fine style very quickly once I bought one.
Thanks for the responses. I think I’m slowly starting to get it. The bottom line is that I would like to add a larger area foil (Lift 150, LF impulse) to my quiver because I think the slower speeds with a smaller kite will help me progress faster with transition skills. Plus I think it would just be fun to have an easy slow carvy foil to play with in flat water and mild surf.
Exactly what you’ll get with a larger foil. If you go with the Lift, consider the 170. It is closer in size to the Impulse.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 am

Dave K wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm
Zeeko makes different size versions of the Spitfire. I assume a big part of that is rider weight.
Actually no. XLW wings for Spitfire were designed to allow slow take-off and flight speeds, so it can be used to ride slower waves for example. XLW is also useful for lighter winds and easier on beginner. However heavy riders might find standard size wings a bit too small, requiring high take-off speed, so in that sense one can argue that larger wings are suited for for them.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 am

slowboat wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am
Dave K wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 am
Foil wrote:
Exactly what you’ll get with a larger foil. If you go with the Lift, consider the 170. It is closer in size to the Impulse.
Yup. And less twitchy so everything is easier.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am

Ok, better understanding with all the responses. I am gonna get a sup/surf wing set but still keep my standard RRD free ride foil. As much as I’d like to go for a Lift or Cloud9/Impulse setup, I’ll probably go with the Naish or Takuma sup/surf wings to save some money. I can just get the wing set and fuselage of either of those brands and use them with my RRD mast quiver (all 3 brands use the same 3 bolt m6 masts). Saves around $400-600

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 am

I ride the biggest Naish surf thrust for my 100+ kg's....

But I recommend the medium to 80kg guys because they struggle with lift of the beast when starting.

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 am
I ride the biggest Naish surf thrust for my 100+ kg's....

But I recommend the medium to 80kg guys because they struggle with lift of the beast when starting.
I’m about 88 kg so I feel almost borderline between the large and medium Naish surf foil. I’d probably go for the medium since I’ll be using it way more for flat water kiting than surfing

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 am

borist wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 am
Dave K wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm
Zeeko makes different size versions of the Spitfire. I assume a big part of that is rider weight.
Actually no. XLW wings for Spitfire were designed to allow slow take-off and flight speeds, so it can be used to ride slower waves for example. XLW is also useful for lighter winds and easier on beginner. However heavy riders might find standard size wings a bit too small, requiring high take-off speed, so in that sense one can argue that larger wings are suited for for them.

Agree - the big Zeeko wings are not (only) for heavier riders.

I dont like the small Spitfire wings, too small for my liking (@77kg), so the XLW would work for me :thumb:

As others have said, heavier riders are using bigger kites, so the required wing lift is less than the extra weight over average.

But you would need a tad bigger wing, to compensate and make the feel and timing more similar.

Too big a wing though, and you will not be able to go as fast.
But otherwise, a tad bigger wing for bigger riders using bigger kites, should go just as fast as more forward power which compensates for the extra drag because of the area.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”