Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

first time on 5m kite and HF

Postby TomW » Tue May 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Today it was pretty windy, up and down a bit. So I tried the 5m ozone Reo I bought used last year. 52cm bar and 24m lines.

Man, the kite is so fast turning!! I had trouble controlling it. Especially on starts.
But once going it was great. I could understand the feeling and joy of small kite foiling.
Down loop turns so easy.
Did a few downwind runs and looped the kite - wooo-hooo!

The wind backed off a bit before the rain front came in, so had trouble getting up.
I was actually at bottom end of the range the whole time.

I think I need a 42-45 cm bar....
What about longer lines?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: first time on 5m kite and HF

Postby slowboat » Tue May 01, 2018 5:03 pm

I like using a 23 inch bar with 5 meter kite. Tighter downloops while going downwind. I use 28 meter lines. Gives you more time to ignore the kite and play in the waves before having to “save” the kite

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes I like the long lines tiny kite combo as well.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue May 01, 2018 5:56 pm

It takes time to get used to a small fast kite. But when you do the kite speed is glorious. Dont waste your money getting a shorter bar. Just get used to the speed.
When you go back to the 8m you will be like "what is this slow piece of shit!"

Oh add another 20% of kite speed to your 5 and yourl be at the speed of my 4m,,, its like flying an angry wasp! I love it.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Yeah, small kites are sooooo much fun. Unfortunately for me, I developed tendonosis of my biceps/brachialis from flying my 4.5m LF Solo on 23m lines in 15kn on a regular basis. It required constant input to keep enough power to stay on foil and I didn’t allow myself enough rest. PT for 6 weeks and coming up on 2 months out of the water and it still hasn’t resolved.

My personal motto used to be “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing,” but, when I am able to get back on the water, small kites will be a once-in-a-while treat rather than daily use for me.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 pm

junebug wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm
Yeah, small kites are sooooo much fun. Unfortunately for me, I developed tendonosis of my biceps/brachialis from flying my 4.5m LF Solo on 23m lines in 15kn on a regular basis. It required constant input to keep enough power to stay on foil and I didn’t allow myself enough rest. PT for 6 weeks and coming up on 2 months out of the water and it still hasn’t resolved.

My personal motto used to be “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing,” but, when I am able to get back on the water, small kites will be a once-in-a-while treat rather than daily use for me.
Yeah, common problem with foil addicted riders. I find regular stretching of forearm muscles and icing after sessions very helpful

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Bloody Mary you must ride "underpowered" if you have to work the kites that much :o

I thought I rode small kites, but not compared it seems, I like being in the sweetspot :naughty:

Anyways, it seems that those finding a 5 m2 kite "extremely fast" are the ones who dont ride surfboards much, or in light wind areas ?

As when used to 4 - 5 - 6 m2 kites on surfboards, the smaller kites suddenly becomes "slow" on a hydrofoil, as a lot less wind so not nearly as fast nor aggressive :D

Also like longer lines when small kites, but this is in general I like 26 m lines as the shortest, and longer in lighter wind.

I use a normal bar for the smallest kites when hydrofoiling, feels very normal and slower than when on a surfboard as noted.

Like Plummet says: Get used to it, no reason to have a shorter bar !

You will learn to appreciate being able to control everything onehanded with the tip of your fingers almost, especially if the kite is low bar pressure, as it becomes even lower when hydrofoiling of course.

Use 5 and 6 m2 kites very very often, but small kites below 5 m2 a bit more rare.
Smaller than 5 m2 needed only when wind exceeds 20 knots for my average weight, but happens too of course, in conditions not suitable for surfboards but can be awesome for wave hydrofoiling or just having fun in chop :D

8) PF

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:09 pm
Bloody Mary you must ride "underpowered" if you have to work the kites that much :o

I thought I rode small kites, but not compared it seems, I like being in the sweetspot :naughty:

Anyways, it seems that those finding a 5 m2 kite "extremely fast" are the ones who dont ride surfboards much, or in light wind areas ?

As when used to 4 - 5 - 6 m2 kites on surfboards, the smaller kites suddenly becomes "slow" on a hydrofoil, as a lot less wind so not nearly as fast nor aggressive :D

Also like longer lines when small kites, but this is in general I like 26 m lines as the shortest, and longer in lighter wind.

I use a normal bar for the smallest kites when hydrofoiling, feels very normal and slower than when on a surfboard as noted.

Like Plummet says: Get used to it, no reason to have a shorter bar !

You will learn to appreciate being able to control everything onehanded with the tip of your fingers almost, especially if the kite is low bar pressure, as it becomes even lower when hydrofoiling of course.

Use 5 and 6 m2 kites very very often, but small kites below 5 m2 a bit more rare.
Smaller than 5 m2 needed only when wind exceeds 20 knots for my average weight, but happens too of course, in conditions not suitable for surfboards but can be awesome for wave hydrofoiling or just having fun in chop :D

8) PF
Yeah, as an exclusive twin tipper before foiling, I had ridden a 5m exactly two times in 10 years of kiting and a 6-7-8-9m no more than 10 times. I would say 70% of my twin tip sessions were on a 12m and 30% on a 10m. That’s part of why I overdid it on small kites. It was so much more fun than flying those huge hoopdies.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm

I use a 55cm bar with all kites from 5m-15.5m.

I particularly like the long bar with the 5m. It does take a few minutes to get used to it, but once you do it's like riding with a magic wand. You just point the bar and the kite goes where you want. It's such a nice feeling, especially on waves.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Wed May 02, 2018 12:52 am

My favorite set up is my 6m on 28m lines with a long bar , so much fun from 14kts up.

Return to “Hydrofoil”