Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Bracuru Hover board - Excellent !

Postby juandesooka » Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm

I have been of the opinion that board is irrelevant. Once flying you could be on a cafeteria tray. But now that I'm trying a wakeskate with nearly no flotation I can confirm board matters in light wind.....I've had my wakeskate submerged knee deep trying to get going.

I think a stubby wide board would be ideal. Have also noticed that my narrow pointy nose surfboard will tend to dig in on hard touchdowns. A wider nose board would improve chances of recovery.

your board looks good. ...Nice to see you are stoked. Ultimately this supposed to be about having fun....so enjoy yourself

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Ive one of those boards, just a little smaller 145x47, great freeride board and very good for extreme lightwind as it allows touch downs without loosing much speed or sinking.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Sandras wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm
Actually I remember one of your heroes, Greg, saying the same thing like Peter when talking about his board. Do you want me to find it for you?
Greg is not my role model but he rides good and I can see he rides a deck which looks like $60 boogie board off your local surf shop. And a pretty large Lift 130 wing.
Gunnar rides the 633 with a pocket board.
I’m sure you can bolt a large LW wing to a race board but not sure why would you do that besides trying to ride in 3 knots or learning to foil.

Again, if all you want to ride is a blade-size fast wings then you’d need a large race board. But that’s not ligtwind gear to start with.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm
I have been of the opinion that board is irrelevant. Once flying you could be on a cafeteria tray. But now that I'm trying a wakeskate with nearly no flotation I can confirm board matters in light wind.....I've had my wakeskate submerged knee deep trying to get going.

I think a stubby wide board would be ideal. Have also noticed that my narrow pointy nose surfboard will tend to dig in on hard touchdowns. A wider nose board would improve chances of recovery.

your board looks good. ...Nice to see you are stoked. Ultimately this supposed to be about having fun....so enjoy yourself

Thanks Juan, and you are absolutely correct - that the small boards dont stand a chance in marginal winds, and even in lighter winds they are not that good, compared, and I always choose a boardsize that matches the wind, as it gives you a much better overall experience no matter which wing sizes.

Of course there are many who dont really want to ride in less than 10-11 knots anyways, so be it - but we are MANY who loves to ride in almost no wind, in absolute perfect summer weather most often :thumb:

The extremely low swing weight of a board around 3 kg and with a superlight nose, makes it feel like a really small board in terms of maneuvers and jumps and turns, even carrying.
And still being a board that is close to, or, the ultimate lightwind tool :naughty:

You dont know till you have tried - just like those who havent tried hydrofoiling at all, they got NO idea what they are missing :rollgrin:

Yesterday out in really light wind (but not marginal of course, maybe 7 knotish) with a 12 m2 strutless kite on 30 m lines on a big wing, great fun:

https://youtu.be/slSqxhUx1f0

Out again today in less wind, starting with the wavefoil but it felt wrong in this wind so I took the Hover board and flew around the rest of the day without having to wait for gusts to start, or waste time trying to start with board dragging or sinking and sometimes kneeheight under water.
Compared at first view it does not look (nor feel) much bigger than my medium sized a lot less volume waveboard - but looks are deceiving, as there is so much difference in how low you can go between these two, even with the same wing, that you wont believe it.

Foilboards1.jpg

Seen from this side, the Hover board suddenly appears a LOT bigger
Foilboards2.jpg

I can really only recommend these types of boards, or similar types, if you want to move your limits significantly and still have fun and fast starts really easy, also when realy experienced.

Dont compare to the older big beginner boards - as they were typically a lot heavier, so felt wrong and also sucked to the water surface a lot more.

As the wind picks up, choosing smaller boards, and smaller wing (down to whether you want a fast wavewing or a medium slower wavewing on the given day), makes sense and what I do at least :D

It is good to hear that others have had the same good experience with really light big volume boards, in marginal winds - and would like to share the finding that when wind is 10 knots and less, choosing an accordingly sized wing AND board, will give you a much better and balanced overall ride IMO :thumb:

8) PF

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 am

Is there a website for Bracuru foil boards?

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:02 am

dksurfer wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 am
Is there a website for Bracuru foil boards?
Negative.
I was thinking about a dedicated website or facebook page but found that simply I do not need it. Sounds strange. I know.
These boards are made in very small amounts and since last 3 years I have more orders than my shaper can handle.
We decide to stay "under radar" and shape boards for passionate riders.
The big brands will begin to produce similar boards soon and will take it over.
It is a matter of time, I think.

I used to design various sizes boards but in last two years we've been offering only one standard board which Peter Frank reviewed.
The Hover 2018 is a result of last 5 years experiments.
Honestly I am surprised that Hover's shape and size is really unique on the market.
Hard to explain why the offer of similar boards is so limited.
Maybe it is a matter of foilboarding hype? On the beginning everyone want to ride on a smallest as possible board what is a sensational feeling. I passed such path too.

Moses HF is excellent example. I'm privileged to be their teamrider and since 2013 I've been trying to convince bosses to go for a radical light wind board. I failed and even I know why.
They decided to quit it when I've sent them a 60cm wide board in 2014. Had to be a shock for them hahaha.
Moses decided to chose evolution path instead revolution one:
2013 - one board - smaller than average twintip.
2014 - T20 - small one - only 20mm thickness - volume almost none.
2015 - T40 - added extra 20mm to the same shape
2017 - T60 - added another 20mm to the previous year model
2018 - T80 - coming soon?

Anyway Hover 2018 is not a board for everyone. If you life in windy places there is not point to posses a large foilboard.
However it is a bit different story for those who are not so blessed by Mother Nature.
I would say that it is a recommended choice for riders who want to:
- ride in marginal winds. Especially with small kites. Wind 6-8kts and you wish to ride on 10m Soul comforatbly? You are my guest ;)
However if you posses a 18m foil kite you do not need such a board at all.
- ride on lakes with gusty winds
- take first lessons to learn foilboarding
- learn jibes and tacks - this size of board gives a more stable platform. It is more forgivable.
- travel with two or one kite only. My travelling quiver is basic in last two years: Hover and two Cabrinha Apollo kites in size 10 and 7m. If wind is below 6kts I simply go SUPing.
- ride alone - in a case of any failure it is much easier to sit on a board and drift.

My local club WKS Grzybowo went through all sorts of foilbards. Nowadays all of club mates ride large Hovers and do not use smaller boards.
Throughout these years they got to below conclusion:
Peter_Frank wrote: Thanks Juan, and you are absolutely correct - that the small boards dont stand a chance in marginal winds, and even in lighter winds they are not that good, compared, and I always choose a boardsize that matches the wind, as it gives you a much better overall experience no matter which wing sizes.

You dont know till you have tried - just like those who havent tried hydrofoiling at all, they got NO idea what they are missing :rollgrin:

Out again today in less wind, starting with the wavefoil but it felt wrong in this wind so I took the Hover board and flew around the rest of the day without having to wait for gusts to start, or waste time trying to start with board dragging or sinking and sometimes kneeheight under water.
Compared at first view it does not look (nor feel) much bigger than my medium sized a lot less volume waveboard - but looks are deceiving, as there is so much difference in how low you can go between these two, even with the same wing, that you wont believe it.

I can really only recommend these types of boards, or similar types, if you want to move your limits significantly and still have fun and fast starts really easy, also when realy experienced.

Dont compare to the older big beginner boards - as they were typically a lot heavier, so felt wrong and also sucked to the water surface a lot more.
BTW. Peter Frank paid for his board and in my mind it's assaulting to state that he wrote such a positive review to pay back for a free board.
I supported the Polish racing team in 2015-2016. Only they got their first foilboards for free. I'm glad I could help them to enter the foil racing scene.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:18 am

hi Marek
what is the volume of 2018 Hoover?

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Postby plasma180 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 am

I have a BRACURU Hoover for sale, size 149CM x 49,5 CM, if somebody is interested on it, please send me a message, i sell because i choosed a smaller Hoover.
Attachments
P1510053.JPG
P1510051.JPG
P1510049.JPG

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:52 am

blu wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:18 am
hi Marek
what is the volume of 2018 Hoover?
45 litres ish.
Might be couple litres more or less as it is hand shaped.
Please do not correspond this volume to a classic foilboard volume.
However if you wish then add to Hover another "virtual" 10-15 litres due to its unique design of a bottom.
Once on a move forward seems that the bottom does not like water and want to lift asap.

Return to “Hydrofoil”