Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby Toby » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 am

I think for the majority course racing is not really attractive.
Boarder Cross is way more fun to look at.
And I think this will be Olympic? Good choice I would say.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 16, 2018 3:49 am

yeah everyone has different views

World Sailing is allocated 10 medals by the IOC.

In the previous Olympics, sailing was the 7th least viewed sport.

Someone in World Sailing saw kite racing as a way to boost sailings popularity.

However, as world sailing wants to hang onto their other classes they are only potentially giving one of their allocated medals to kite racing, which has led to the medal going to the combined result of the separate male and female races.

This is World Sailing protecting their sailing stakeholders not kiters. An example of the conflicts of interests that will occur when one sport tries to manage another.

I cannot see any other logic behind it, or know of any other sport where this happens.

The kite racers are not going to be able to win at all. In doubles tennis and ice skating.. there are teamwork skills.

It is the equivalent of a single medal for the combined results of separate races for mens and womens 100m. imo that is absolutely rediculous.

Watching foil racing drone footage is an improvement but still boring as f$ck after 10 mins. its like sailing.. far more fun to do than watch. Kite racing is the least entertaining kiting discipline by far.

The next conflict of interest by having sailors in charge of kiters, will be equipiment choice and format.

I wouldnt want to work full time on my sport for 4 years+ to only rely on a team mate in a completely separate race not f$_ing up, and losing my lifetime goal.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 am

border cross is silly, kite racing is boring, wakestyle has niche interest. There's no way to really show off kiteboarding in the olympics because like surfing we are condition dependent. The best most exciting most watched event of the year is by far the red bull king of the air competition and you know how that goes, it requires extremely good conditions to even hold the event. There are only a handful of places to hold it, and sometimes you have to wait for a week or two for conditions. The olympics requires that you have your event at a set time at the same place as rest of the olympic athletes and this usually means light wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CsKfxqFov0&t=1m15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CsKfxqFov0&t=1m15s

I love hydrofoiling it's so much fun, but it's also the single most boring thing to watch about kiteboarding.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 am

For the athletes that love kite racing, how is it a bad thing to be able to participate in the Olympic Games as a sailor? I understand what IFKO are saying, but in my country IFKO have no pathway or established infrastructure to support a racing scene - we rely heavily on local sailing clubs to provide start boats and safety vessels, marker buoys and clubhouse facilities. So being part of the sailing scene is what enables us to compete, which is what we want at the end of the day.

As much as IFKO rant and rave about the illegality of what is happening, what is their solution or alternative ? Why should our young athletes miss the opportunity to compete in a high profile event like the OG ?

And for those not interested in course racing, then this whole thing between WS/IKA / IFKO must be irrelevant and uninteresting ( i expect).

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 am

Spot on!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm

In 2010 an Americas Cup boat was flying a kite at the top of its mast in the Hauraki Gulf, NZ

The Americas cup rules state that an AC boat must be "a yacht or vessel propelled by sails only"

Since a kite was not a sail, the use of a kite was not permitted by World Sailing.

Much the same as when the predecessor of World Sailing the ISAF said kiteboarders could not hold the world speed sailing record because kiting was not sailing - they use a kite not a sail.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

A term used by nearly all sailors who have a boat with a spinnaker, is "fly the kite" when instructing the crew to raise the spinnaker.

Go figure :P

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 am
For the athletes that love kite racing, how is it a bad thing to be able to participate in the Olympic Games as a sailor? I understand what IFKO are saying, but in my country IFKO have no pathway or established infrastructure to support a racing scene - we rely heavily on local sailing clubs to provide start boats and safety vessels, marker buoys and clubhouse facilities. So being part of the sailing scene is what enables us to compete, which is what we want at the end of the day.

As much as IFKO rant and rave about the illegality of what is happening, what is their solution or alternative ? Why should our young athletes miss the opportunity to compete in a high profile event like the OG ?

And for those not interested in course racing, then this whole thing between WS/IKA / IFKO must be irrelevant and uninteresting ( i expect).
well said. I am happy for those who can participate in the Olympics...it must be magic.
A friend of mine went to the Olympics...a lifetime happening for him.

Maybe a compromise could be found?

IKA/WS take care of the racing and Olympia.
All other disciplines could be handled by Kitesports themselves, IFKO or whatever.

Now that would make sense to me.

pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue
Been thanked: 0

Postby pstkk » Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm

This is great news. Let's just hope Neil Pryde doesn't get involved...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm
In 2010 an Americas Cup boat was flying a kite at the top of its mast in the Hauraki Gulf, NZ

The Americas cup rules state that an AC boat must be "a yacht or vessel propelled by sails only"

Since a kite was not a sail, the use of a kite was not permitted by World Sailing.

Much the same as when the predecessor of World Sailing the ISAF said kiteboarders could not hold the world speed sailing record because kiting was not sailing - they use a kite not a sail.
The 2010 AC was held in Spain. Nothing like what you described happened. World Sailing is not the officiating body of the America's Cup. Keep spouting nonsense.

Return to “Hydrofoil”