Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby james » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am

I voted what? And when? I am not and never have been a member of the BKSA board.

You sure you have the correct James my little stalker chum?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri May 18, 2018 7:39 am

Mark my words
Simply will not happen
You will see
R H

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 am

What won’t?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 am

Toby wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm
How is the complaint situation with windsurfing races?
I think Kitsurfing has many...will be difficult to follow the race when a winner is not a winner due to complaints
BIB

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 am

Old info and not related in the slightest to the windsurfing in the Olympics..

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 pm

james wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:56 am
Old info and not related in the slightest to the windsurfing in the Olympics..
It is not related to the current Olympic windsurf Class.

Those are the current 'no rules' used in 2018 for PWA Slalom.

Nothing is decided yet for the 2024 Olympics regarding the windsurfing equipment.

The main new proposal for windsurfing in the 2024 Olympics is a convertible slalom board that can also be used for windfoiling.
Currently there are Events (started in 2017) for a Neil Pryde One Design convertible board that is used for Slalom in stronger wind and for windfoiling when the wind is not suitable for Slalom.

The PWA is also running a windfoil World Championship in 2018 alongside the Slalom World Championship, but they use windfoil specific boards for the foil races (which are run when the wind is not strong enough for Slalom Racing). The first 2018 PWA Slalom/Foil event had 62 Slalom male entrants and 44 windfoil male entrants. Several women can and have raced windfoils, but the numbers are lower than the male participants, so the PWA is not running a Women's Foil competition as yet.
I'm not sure what the rules are for the windfoiling, other than starting on Starboard tack being mandatory. They so far seem to think that some kind of Course Race / downwind slalom combination course works for the windfoils.

There is also a French AFF Tour, which has Slalom / foil racing, where the foiling is run when the wind is too light for Slalom.

It's hard to imagine the Olympic overseers liking the idea of no rules Slalom, but it has been running successfully for years.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 am
blah blah blah a bunch of crap about how unsafe kiteboarding is and that anyone who wants to go to the olympics for kiting is in mortal peril blah blah blah sailors can't execute safe events, blah blah blah
You realize that sports like ski jumping and skeleton are also in the olympics, right? Is snowboard superpipe a really safe thing for youth to be doing? How about 10m platform diving, piece of cake, right?

Dude, what is your actual point right now?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat May 19, 2018 6:53 pm

The only way to watch it and be entertaining is like the production done for the Americas Cup in Bermuda. Helicopter, info graphic overlays, multiple on board cameras.
That was best spectator sailing ever. I paid to watch it..

Danger is good for the show, as long as people don't get seriously injured.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun May 20, 2018 8:12 am

Nothing wrong with a bit of danger, it's risk managing it with the correct/adequate experience and without conflicts of interests that is most important.

I believe it is highly unsafe to have a sailing organisation / sailing clubs managing the wide range of kiting safety considerations that have absolutely no relation to sailing whatsoever

This should be prioritized above everything. Even olympic selection for our sport.

World Sailing advertising for kite race youth olympic qualifier competitors while they are short on competitors, no racing experience necessary, an example.

Another one, no open discussion on the young girls finger loss from a kite tangle during the race.

No open discussion regarding the 100+ youth race rescues and the implications. eg multiple deathloops,

World Sailing are putting sailing organisations and sailing clubs under huge liability pressure being involved with organising the far more dangerous and different disciplines of the sport of kiting. The liability rammifications are also far higher when you involve youth.

This is not healthy IMO

There are simple reasons why kiters don't kite at sailing clubs ( with the exception of a few worldwide).. it is sailing and it is also not safe, despite the idea of a bar and a shower sounding pretty good. Wave and freestyle kite comps.. when have they taken place at a sailing club in all of history.. never.

By kiters for kiters.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 am

Can I have my apology please? Never been on the BKSA board never voted on the board.

If your going to accuse me and be wrong then have the decency to apologise.

Return to “Hydrofoil”