james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: Kitefoiling at the 2024 Olympic games

Postby james » Thu May 17, 2018 1:11 pm

The AC Sail?

Mate it’s a wing! Doesnt matter what way you look at it’s a wing

There is no mast no sail cloth no boom, it’s a solid wing.

As for it not creating lift how do the boats move?, you know that the principle of how sails and wings working is the same right?air moving over a surface creating a pressure differential that produces thrust.

I know plenty of freestyle riders, thanks but seeing as it’s a catogary of rider you say world sailing has killed off I assume your going to say I am wrong whatever I say.

I also clarified my non existent conflict of interest on the other thread that is running

I simply object to seeing people go about systematically lying and spreading false information especially when it’s aimed at denying hard working talented riders from representing thier country in a disciple that have chosen to compete in.

Clear enough for you? Or you still hiding behind your super cool made up forum name?

Leveraging death and accidents is a pretty low stance. At least under world sailing when people are killed there are actual ramifications for those responsible unlike how it’s swept under the carpet on kiting. Maybe that’s what you want to keep? I dunno but if you going to go after safety etc I would rather there was an organisation with some teeth to actually set some boundaries.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Despite the gear, the course racing is like sailing...and we are close to windsurfers, who are also under WS.
So, there are similarities...

Again, give them course racing (and boardercross), good to have sailing clubs supporting with its infrastructure etc.
Building all from scratch is a lot of work and money.

And the other disciplines stay out of it with its own association.
Or is IFKO also behind Olympic money?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm

The best thing about kiteboarding in the olympics is not the actual contest with I largely agree with cloud about. The best thing would be the olympic youth program for young kiters that we would have as nations would encourage young promising athletes who might otherwise go into some other sport to take up kiteboarding. Right now young promising water people will go into the RSX windsuring class. It's a shame to waste your youth on a windsurfer, so it's nice they can become kiters instead. I have zero hope that when olympic kiting appears on tv it will be anything other awkward and boring.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm

edt wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm
The best thing about kiteboarding in the olympics is not the actual contest with I largely agree with cloud about. The best thing would be the olympic youth program for young kiters that we would have as nations would encourage young promising athletes who might otherwise go into some other sport to take up kiteboarding. Right now young promising water people will go into the RSX windsuring class. It's a shame to waste your youth on a windsurfer, so it's nice they can become kiters instead. I have zero hope that when olympic kiting appears on tv it will be anything other awkward and boring.
it´s going to be a high speed water race, think it can work

it´s basically the same concept as in motorsports - a circuit, the fastest win

would prefer to have boys and girls all mixed fighting for the some medals

but don´t know if gender makes a difference while foiling, maybe it does

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I reckon it would be really cool to have men and women racing together. That's what happens on San Fran club nights and the women are right up there with the leaders. Probably won't happen though, the only Olympic sport that I can think of where it does is equestrian.

For a laugh, I might rock up at the local sailing club with my gear and see what happens. They probably won't care but the tourism operators probably will, they fly helicopters and float-planes off the lakefront ;-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm

How is the complaint situation with windsurfing races?
I think Kitsurfing has many...will be difficult to follow the race when a winner is not a winner due to complaints

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 pm
How is the complaint situation with windsurfing races?
I think Kitsurfing has many...will be difficult to follow the race when a winner is not a winner due to complaints
That happens in all sailing categories

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm

As much as in kiting ?

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 am

Toby wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 pm
As much as in kiting ?
Well people not into sailing would not understand it anyways either if its boats or kites, sailing rules are the same and then kiting have some specific changes.

I agree that sailing its boring to see, at least hidrofoil racing is quite fast which makes things abit more interesting.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 am

Safety should be taken seriously nothing 'low' about that, especially youth. You cannot have sailing clubs looking after safety, many are not even safe locations for lauching and landing. When it comes to other disciplines it is just an absolute joke. World sailing made no friends when it claimed to be the world authority of all forms of kiteboarding on water and used legal threats against us.

When youth olympic qualifications found there were not enough competitors, adverts popped up in countries asking for competitors.. no racing experience necessary, no minimum riding experience. So that is ok with world sailing right? to me it is just another example of the kind of conflicts of interests we are dealing with. Olympic glory vs safety. I remember Dimitri came on this forum complaining about it too ( his son entered) how was that addressed? Then there were the over 100+ rescues that occured.. what were the rammifications? What if there are not enough safety boats to deal with multiple tangles.. safety boats have to have kiters running them right? tell us about those rammifications.

Then one of the young girls lost a finger in a tangle. Tell us about the rammifications of this, where was it reported at the recent world sailing meeting?

I honestly think these kind of f#_k ups would be soooo much less likely to happen with kiters in control of kiting

Youth in sport rules, but we all know the real motives of World Sailing
.. not losing funding after threats from IOC. This article from yesterday sums up the political reasoning perfectly. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12052784

'Urban' was the term coined by IOC to get better viewership numbers, and yet we have racing around buoys. In a world sailing report the look of the foil out of the water was described as giving it an urban look. Hell World Sailing don't even know what format or what equipment will be used when "kiteboarding saves sailings olympic funding"

And a single medal mixed sex team event for kiting.. on wait for it.... separate courses for male and female wtf. You may as well randomly give out a medal for freeriding.

world sailing just stated.. "all equipment options are open for kiteboarding". what like my wakeskate or my surfboard maybe a pair of waterskis lol US Sailing proposed a mixed sex triathlon combined twintip race/ foil race/ wave riding, read the submissions.. what planet are some of these sailors on. Another example of what happens when you let one sport administer another.

Am i watching South Park? What a bunch of absolute kooks.

The question of whether kiting is sailing can be discussed here but ultimately will end up in court.
Last edited by longwhitecloud on Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”