Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: One Board - Kite and Surf Foiling

Postby TomW » Sun May 20, 2018 6:14 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm
I got a 5.6 tomo vanguard with intentions of putting in tracks for combo board....surfboard, surf foil, kite foil, kite surfboard. It is just barely big enough to surf but short enough to be fun kitesurf too. A combo board is great for travel. I already have that for kite foil and kite surf.....bws 5.8 with through hulls punched in. Works great.

I am going to wait to get proficient sup foiling then see if I want to prone surf foil.
If I travel somewhere to kite, I have to pay to bring a boardbag, it usually has 23kg limit. I can easily get foil board and surfboard and TT ,and foil mast in the bag under kg limit. Last trip I left the TT home.

Granted it's a lot to lug around to airport, but it's a kite trip. Also, during kite trip I will ride foil board and surfboard everyday as tide changes and don't want to waste time snd energy screwing mast on and off...

I'd want combo board for travel where I am either on biz trip or family trip and don't,or cannot , drag all of it around. So I'm starting a split board for 70 % foil, 30% wave kitesurfing.

But the idea to have board that works for wave foiling without a kite and with a kite sounds great. Wish I lived in a region with those conditions !

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun May 20, 2018 8:31 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:14 pm
juandesooka wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm
I got a 5.6 tomo vanguard with intentions of putting in tracks for combo board....surfboard, surf foil, kite foil, kite surfboard. It is just barely big enough to surf but short enough to be fun kitesurf too. A combo board is great for travel. I already have that for kite foil and kite surf.....bws 5.8 with through hulls punched in. Works great.

I am going to wait to get proficient sup foiling then see if I want to prone surf foil.
If I travel somewhere to kite, I have to pay to bring a boardbag, it usually has 23kg limit. I can easily get foil board and surfboard and TT ,and foil mast in the bag under kg limit. Last trip I left the TT home.

Granted it's a lot to lug around to airport, but it's a kite trip. Also, during kite trip I will ride foil board and surfboard everyday as tide changes and don't want to waste time snd energy screwing mast on and off...

I'd want combo board for travel where I am either on biz trip or family trip and don't,or cannot , drag all of it around. So I'm starting a split board for 70 % foil, 30% wave kitesurfing.

But the idea to have board that works for wave foiling without a kite and with a kite sounds great. Wish I lived in a region with those conditions !
Agreed....if you have luxury of bringing them all, why not! I also hate the beach fiddling around when the wind's blowing.

I forgot add too, my plans may have changed for travel foil, as I've got a wakeskate set up now and really enjoying it. It fits easily in golf bag, so if going somewhere without surf, that may be an option (as golf bags still get away without extra fees, surfboard bag is automatic)

Sorry for topic hijack.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Can not say for sure, but must say on "internet" experience only, that I doubt that one can use the same board for both….

Either it will be way too big when powered reasonably for kitefoiling, meaning feeling clumsy and catching edges etc, and/or it will be too small for a good surf foil :roll:

8) PF

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 am

Dwight wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:00 pm
You can have both in one board unless for some reason you don’t like kite foiling with 35 liters. Most kite race foil boards are about 35 liters.

I ride a 35 liter board that was designed for both.

BTW, you’ll out perform any off the shelf converted surfboard, with a surf foil board designed for foiling.

https://instagram.com/p/Bg02QIpgyj7/

https://instagram.com/p/BgEsKhFBkh2/

This guy has the same board I ride.
Hi Dwight,

Can you sent me info about your board? Looks awesome. For kite foiling I'm mainly on a Nobile Skim Foil board and my main board for paddle surfing is a 5'3" Tomo Vader. The Vader is pretty much a one board quiver for me. I paddle surf the Vader in everything from knee high to overhead surf.

Thanks,

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon May 21, 2018 7:49 pm

tswierkocki wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 am

Hi Dwight,

Can you sent me info about your board? Looks awesome. For kite foiling I'm mainly on a Nobile Skim Foil board and my main board for paddle surfing is a 5'3" Tomo Vader. The Vader is pretty much a one board quiver for me. I paddle surf the Vader in everything from knee high to overhead surf.

Thanks,
My instagram https://instagram.com/p/Bixco2bHy5g/

Return to “Hydrofoil”