Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Remora Suction Foil Mount

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Remora Suction Foil Mount

Postby Foil » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 am

Wow! Such a great Idea,
I know that the the suction cups do work,
Years ago I had a car roof rack that had them sort of suckers fitted, any dobghts I had were dismissed after a European tour went without any drama, every few days I released the roof rack to see if any suction was lost, nothing at all!
Brilliant stuff.
I will have one of each👍

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Thu May 31, 2018 5:59 am

How far out are you from production and availability for purchase?

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 am

If stiffness is there, what a great news for home builders and prototyping. I 've watched the vid with a "converted" sup board in the video section. Any old plastic boards with plastic bottom skins (Windsurfers, Bic, Fanatic, ....) from the 80's could be easily converted to ... Windfoils since the fin box is not at risk any more. :o :o
Grand dad will be pleased.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu May 31, 2018 7:45 am

Europ2 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 pm
revhed wrote:doubt it greatly!
Suction cup lifters Exist in single, double, triple, quad....

The difficulty is to bring stiffness between the white cover and the 3 or 4 suction cups.
One triple pad: 150kg / 300lbs of vertical lift
Two dual pads = 2 x 100kg = 200kg / 400lbs of vertical lift

Still in doubt ?
https://www.facebook.com/RemoraProducts ... 5942879601
YES!
Salt water
sand
Alu
rubber,plastic

board bottom surface irregular
Heat, car in sun, summer,
cold water
Lack of given board strength
Drag when board on H2o
Lines flipping open suction lever
ECT....
I know this works like a charm for glass installers and tilers, seen it, because none of the above are factored in.
Better trust your leash and paint your T bar bright hunter orange or signal yellow to be able to find it!
Good luck?
R H

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 am

N1 system . :thumb: :thumb:

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:18 pm

revhed wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:45 am
YES!
(...)
Let's give Paul a chance to answer....

@Revhed, I do agree with you regarding "Lines flipping open suction lever"
Levers turned inside would be a good start. Is it possible in this first batch ?
In a second product iteration, flanks (two half-shells on each side of the lever) are easy to implement (like some clever and not so common RJ45 connectors).
More expensive and probably overkill, a recessed lever solution like the Nobile Travel board split levers.
RJ45 connector Hood Sleeve with flanks.jpg
RJ45 connector Hood Sleeve with flanks.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 3334 times

myerscouse
Rare Poster
Local Beach: beabnell
Favorite Beaches: bellmulet ireland
Style: wave rideing
Gear: mosses silente
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby myerscouse » Thu May 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks again for comments both positive and negative. Constructive criticism is always interesting. I will try and answer points raised.
How near to production ?
I have had quite a search to find a suitable manufacturer .. However, I have now found such an outfit and we are refining the manufacturing process. So, hopefully within next 4-8 weeks.

Regarding non FB users ( like myself until this project !). We are in process of getting website and hopefully this should be up and running within next couple of weeks

Regarding Stiffness... I have constructed the Remoras using my knowledge of building my own Boards, Foils and Masts over the last 20 years and can assure you it has good structural integrity.

Salt Water ....As we know Saltwater can be a very corrosive substance. However, my original prototype a year old now is still working fine, although I do recommend the units are hosed down with fresh water after a session just as you would with an aluminium hydrofoil.

Board Bottom Surface Irregular. For sure, The Remora much prefers flatter bottomed boards, but can cope with shallow concaves and rockers. It is important that the Board is clean and free from dust before application of the Remora. This is easily achieved by a quick dunk in whatever water you are about to sail in. Wipe over with a flat hand then apply good pressure and activate the levers. There will be an information video on the website.

Drag when board on water....I have designed the Remora to be streamlined, and is only in contact with the water at very low speed i.e when starting. In all my testing so far I have never felt Drag to be an issue. On a recent test of the remora on a SUP on the paddle down to the 'Break' other than the drag of the Hydrofoil I was a little slower than the others but not a lot . In approx a 1km paddle to the wave I was only a few metres back without putting in extra effort.

Line Flipping Suction Lever.....You will notice that the levers face Aft so water flow keeps them activated. As for lines catching them. I think if your lines are down there they are probably round your Foil by that point and you have more problems than your levers being flipped ! Were one lever to be opened the Remora will most likely stay in place until the lever was reactivated. The Remora does have a leash attachment. I use a flagout line as a short leash. You will notice on the video the bright orange foam deck pad so no need to paint anything. With the set ups I have used so far the Remora bobs on the surface so is easily spotted.

Hope that helps.
Thanks folks
Paul

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 pm

now you just need a custom casting to reduce the hight by 50% and get rid of extra drag. I know you say it wasn't a problem, but it looks very draggy and has got to be a factor at some point. If you are going to use a leash, I would prioritize low profile, low drag shape over buoyancy.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo

Postby Rakky » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:44 am

Thanks for the update Paul.
I am sure it will go through some iterations over time and improve in design.
What is the process to order one? And which country are they going to be made - for shipping and costs

myerscouse
Rare Poster
Local Beach: beabnell
Favorite Beaches: bellmulet ireland
Style: wave rideing
Gear: mosses silente
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby myerscouse » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 am

Morning, So, at the moment we are finalising production in the UK. Regarding shipping/pricing/availability etc all that information will be on our Website which should be online pretty soon.
Thanks very much for your interest . Cheers Paul

Return to “Hydrofoil”