Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Marginal wind kites ?

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 am
It is useful to put numbers to illustrate but shall be considered as relative comparison and not absolute wind speed. IMO it is not transerable to each one of us when below 6... as there might be up to 3 knots difference with the same wind measured in different ways ... (Experienced between Official winds-up meter at 10m height vs manual potentially pessimistic anemo like vaavud). So better to speak relativelly comparing kites abilities by back-to-back testers.
Well for me there is no way a 12m can waterstart IF its marginal for a 19m, we have tested that here several times and the 12m can fly if its light cloth but doesnt generate power enough to put you on top of the board.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Not with all 12m vs 19m models and depends on rider's weight. Under 65 kg it is not so sure : I can start earlier with my 12m than anyone on a s3 19m or sonic or r1v1 for example. However i agree that even at 60kg , for the lighest end indeed 15m is a bit better but for very light and stable kites only.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm
Not with all 12m vs 19m models and depends on rider's weight. Under 65 kg it is not so sure : I can start earlier with my 12m than anyone on a s3 19m or sonic or r1v1 for example. However i agree that even at 60kg , for the lighest end indeed 15m is a bit better but for very light and stable kites only.
Lets consider at least a 75kg rider.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

Yes I agree with you.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm
I am buying one (an ultralight Kitech FRS 12 m2), to see if I can move my marginal low end - we'll have to see if it does or dont :thumb:

8) PF
Hi Peter
I wonder if you have tried the Lecca Lecca Minima?

Thanks
Pete

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:39 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm
I am buying one (an ultralight Kitech FRS 12 m2), to see if I can move my marginal low end - we'll have to see if it does or dont :thumb:

8) PF
Hi Peter
I wonder if you have tried the Lecca Lecca Minima?

Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete - no I can not try any of these, as around here most are either racers or freeriders with LEI kites, and the latter buying used race kites and not really freeride kites - and racekites I know quite well and not good for my task.

Going at the end of the week to a 10 day holiday kitecamp, so I only had less than 2 weeks to get a kite (build), and the choice was the FRS in ultralight, we will see how it works or not :naughty:

8) Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Pete - no I can not try any of these, as around here most are either racers or freeriders with LEI kites, and the latter buying used race kites and not really freeride kites - and racekites I know quite well and not good for my task.

Going at the end of the week to a 10 day holiday kitecamp, so I only had less than 2 weeks to get a kite (build), and the choice was the FRS in ultralight, we will see how it works or not :naughty:

8) Peter
Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the FRS

muitomaluco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Neusiedlersee
Gear: North Evo 6m2, North Rebel 7, 9, North Neo 9, Naish Trip 10m, GA Pure 7, 12
Board: RL-Splitboard, F-One Traxx, Naish Monarch, Liquid force happy foil, Slingshot Space Skate, Slingshot Waveboard, Flysurfer Viron 4m

Strutless Gong 17? Pansh? Line xtensions? bang for the buck lightwind?

Postby muitomaluco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Very intersting discussion here! I´m absolutely new to this low wind thing here, no experience at all. Just bought myself a foilboard and willing to learn...
I was surprised in this discussion here that there was not much of a talk about no strut or one strut inflatables.
Ist´t for example a Gong strutless 17m² THE bang for the buck lightwind machine as it costs just 500€ plus some 250 for the 69cm bar maybe? That would be brandnew equipment compared to a few years old foilkites for the same money with maybe already worn out tissue and bridle issues...
Have not used a strutless kite yet, but the videos of Gong and Boardriding Maui really look like fun. It mite have one more advantage over foilkites: you can just wait some 15 minutes and hope for the wind picking up again when the foils already in the water...

Talking about bang for the buck: Who of you guys has bought a Pansh foilkite and could use it right out of the bag? Just the way it was, no modifications whatsoever? And would you guys buy Pansh again? All threads here end up in bridle modifications talk and I could not find out if that was really necessary or just a little bit nerdy hobby for the fun in doing some experiments one probably would not do on a 2500€ kite. Talking about Pansh: How are their waterstart abilities compared to other foilkites? How ist their tissue, how are their intake valves? How long can they rest on the water until restart and hows that compared to other brands, and compared to used tissue of other brands?

Talking about easy modifications for lighter winds: Why no longer lines? Mite be the cheapest way to gain more lightwind abilitys, no? Why this new trend with the short lines? Weren´t people using line extensions on their normal 24m lines some years ago to have more low end? Wouldn´t that also help a lot to have a longer "deeper" surge on a powerdive, to get you up on the foil? And also give you some time in a lull to keep the kite in the air? Old school huge bars and long lines? I think there was one Gong promo video online where they were riding their 17m strutless on 60m lines in almost no wind...

And last but not least: How much money did you guys spend to gain that last knot foiling on a loooow wind day? Is it worth it for you, or was it in the end mostly crappy sessions and a lot of swimming with tangled lines anyhow? Would it have been better just get a SUP or a new bicycle? ;-)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:08 pm

LW foiling is nothing like other LW kiting. You can have actually FUN. I use 9m foil kite as my biggest and its thanks to hydrofoil not thanks to kite.
Problems with LEI in light wind are: No possibility to waterrestart, Lower stability on zenith. Stability is partially solved with zero and mono struts kite but price for this is worse general kite behavior. What i like about hydrofoil is possibility to use very small kite and for me bring big kite on HF defeat the purpose and main HF benefit - efficiency.
BTW where you can buy strutless GONG 17 for 500?

I also think that it possible to make good restartable LW lei - but thats future and there are good LW foils NOW!

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Light wind is one thing, Marginal wind is another thing. Marginal wind is not for Beginners. To start hidrofoiling i would say you need at least 10 knots, and if you are used to LEIs and not to Foils, stick with the LEIs for learning.

Return to “Hydrofoil”