Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil Kite advice Chrono, Hyperlink, Soul

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono, Hyperlink, Soul

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm

If you have the chance I recommend to try the Hyperlink!
Also try it on <20m lines if possible.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:17 am

haare wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm
No I have not. I would love to. I meant low aspect sorry not low performance. We don't have any of those in our local club yet. Our FS retailer also foils and he tried it 2 weeks ago. He did not like it. But that doesn't mean it is bad. He is just race oriented. He tought tacks where a lot harder with soul than with sonic. I have also heard many happy customers but mostly TT users. I however doubt that it has the same performance as sonic 2. I am definitely not pro, more intermediate kiter, but I can jump 11m in lake conditions with it. And airtime is very good. Last session best was over 10s. I prefer glide over jump height especially in small kites. 10m is enough for me, i just want to have longer air time. low aspect kites tend to come down faster than high ar ones. But I have also seen the insane flysurfer video where TT rider jumps with soul to the moon and loops kite few times and lands softly like a feather. So it definitely has performance...
At first I didn’t like my Soul as much as my Sonic2, felt it was two “inflatable” like but have since then changed my mind. I think glide time is as good as the Sonic2 if you keep the Soul moving during the jump. Really easy to get buttersmooth landings if you loop it at the end of the jump. Upwind does suffer a little and relaunching after a crash is different. When the wind is super light, it seems to take longer than my Sonic but I’ve recovered from many tangles with the Soul that I know my Sonic2 would have never been able to do. Also the Soul can sit much longer on the water without taking on water. I recently went back to flying my Sonic2 after being on the Soul and instantly felt the difference again but this time I was missing the Soul lol.

=Jason-

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 am

jyka wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm
If I'm not interested in maximum upwind angles (foil boards go enough upwind with any kite) or maximum speed, (I'm not participating competitions), is there any reason to choose chrono or sonic instead of soul?
Is jumping performance much better with race kites like sonic, compared to soul or speed?

BTW, what are the main differences between soul and speed in use?
Jyka: I would not consider speed 5 unless you get it very cheap. Sonic 2 and speed 5 have very similar profile. Sonic 2 is just better made. It has ribs that hold its shape for example.

The real question is sonic 2 or soul. Antti prefered Sonic 2/race, maybe you want to call him and ask...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm

jyka wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm
If I'm not interested in maximum upwind angles (foil boards go enough upwind with any kite) or maximum speed, (I'm not participating competitions), is there any reason to choose chrono or sonic instead of soul?
Is jumping performance much better with race kites like sonic, compared to soul or speed?

BTW, what are the main differences between soul and speed in use?

Jumps are always skill dependant. And the skill develops over time using the same kite ;)

Atm, I just cant jump with my foils. Gimme an Edge and I'll Moon it :)

The price IS important for me, older good foils are well priced in here. But man, Chrono has issues with sand in TE sewing. Sonic doesn't, dunno how...

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Relative to the Chrono V2 the Soul seems to be much better sealed in general, it can sit in the water for a good while and still relaunch fine. The sand in the trailing edge thing with the Chrono is really weird - it just seems to appear for no reason and you can’t see any way it got there!

Daniel_B
Rare Poster

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono,Hyperlink, Soul

Postby Daniel_B » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm
Luchini,
I have one foil kite, the hyperlink 9m UL, which I'm using only on Hydrofoil. I have 15 sessions on it since May1. This session record for me in May. My first foil kite after 16 years kiting.

Now I have fallen in love with the smooth power and ability to depower without fluttering or loss of steering control.
I would love to have Chronos V3 13m UL or Hyperlink 12m UL for even lighter wind. I am using Hyperlink down to 6ms/10 knots.
And I would like a smaller foil for 17-24 knots.
But if I count the days I would have used bigger or smaller foil kite last 40 days, it is 3 days...bigger Foil 2 days
So 9m is used 11 days, really perfect, other 2 sizes would have been preferred 3 days....

I am on ocean in western Sweden
How much do you weigh?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:48 pm

haare wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 am

The real question is sonic 2 or soul. Antti prefered Sonic 2/race, maybe you want to call him and ask...
Here you go...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USxk6qFIJKc

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm 75kg dry. Probably 85 kg with all my gear

Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luchini » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:23 pm

My weight is around 85 kg naked ;-)

I managed now to complete my testing and tried so far the following kites:

Soul 15,12
Hyperlink UL 12
Chrono 13 UL and 11

All kites are good, what you choose is also depend on the riding style. Regarding that I’m a freerider which like to do some speed runs the hyperlink fits me the most.
The reason is pretty simply I do like to move the kite through the window which is with the Hyperlink pretty simply.

Even if you don't have the power as the Chrono, i would even say that the 11 Chrono got more low end than the Hyperlink in 12.
What is great at the Chrono and Soul is the jumping performance which would be great to have also at the Hyperlink but i mainly just foil and there i do not like jumping.

If the bodyweight is not above 80kg and you don't want to foil under 8-9 knots the 9 Hyperlink should be enough. The colleague was on the 9.

Return to “Hydrofoil”