Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono,Hyperlink, Soul

Postby marekmk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 am

airsail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am
Tried the Hyperlink 12, nice and stable, very easy to use. After recently purchasing a race foil I now find the kite is a limiting factor, the Hyperlink managed about 20 knots on a reach, the foil is probably capable of 30-35 knots. I'm guessing a Chrono/Sonic in an 11 mtr would be a better option, which would have a better relaunch if it has a swim?
My research indicates these smaller foils can be problematic to relaunch after a swim and a racefoil often takes you someway offshore.

where the higher performance kite are more efficient at is generating apparent wind, often racers, 6 knots screaming along at high speeds with insane angles to the wind.

what is your weight and what foil or boards do you ride???

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am

airsail wrote:
Tried the Hyperlink 12, nice and stable, very easy to use. After recently purchasing a race foil I now find the kite is a limiting factor, the Hyperlink managed about 20 knots on a reach, the foil is probably capable of 30-35 knots. I'm guessing a Chrono/Sonic in an 11 mtr would be a better option, which would have a better relaunch if it has a swim?
My research indicates these smaller foils can be problematic to relaunch after a swim and a racefoil often takes you someway offshore.
FWIW I swim far less (never) with smaller foil kites (sub 10m) This is generally because the wind ranges are higher and its the wind that allows you to intelligently work a foil kite to relaunch, even after getting quite wet. The wetted surface is much smaller and the wind works with you.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:38 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 am
airsail wrote:
FWIW I swim far less (never) with smaller foil kites (sub 10m) This is generally because the wind ranges are higher and its the wind that allows you to intelligently work a foil kite to relaunch, even after getting quite wet. The wetted surface is much smaller and the wind works with you.

Same for me.
For this reasons all LEI kites disappeared from my personal quiver.
Loving the small Hyperlinks.
The 5m in 35+ knots is a blast.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono, Hyperlink, Soul

Postby airsail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:20 pm

i’m 80kg riding a Levitaz Bionic, seems others are getting a lot more speed out of the Hyperlink. Probably just need more wind, but our location doesn’t allow for fast foiling in much over 15 knots. We get a large chop running and it is hard to stop the foil from breaching in the chop even on a 1100 mast.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm

that skill of reading the chop will come and you will soon be blasting through the chop.
I had a 12 m HL and I'm 73 kg. I got rid of the 12m and replaced it with a 9m and I find I can still get going around 8 knts by moving the 9 more aggressively

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:56 am

I kite in small lake and sonic 2 is very stable. Of course low aspect (edit was low performance) kites are more stable like hyperlink or soul. Because they cannot get to the edge of the wind. However you can tune your race kite so that it behaves like soul or hyperlink near shore. You just shorten the back lines little. Then it cannot go to the edge. Once you get to the middle of the lake you can use the trim to unleash race kites true potential and jump to the moon.
Last edited by haare on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luchini » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:57 am

Whit what you could get out with your even when you replaced it.
marekmk wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm
that skill of reading the chop will come and you will soon be blasting through the chop.
I had a 12 m HL and I'm 73 kg. I got rid of the 12m and replaced it with a 9m and I find I can still get going around 8 knts by moving the 9 more aggressively

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Have you tried the Soul? Having come from a more race-orientated kite I wouldn't call it low performance, the jumping is right up there with higher aspect foils just behaves better for normal riding and seems to have dropped the more annoying characteristics that usually you have to get used to with foils.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

No I have not. I would love to. I meant low aspect sorry not low performance. We don't have any of those in our local club yet. Our FS retailer also foils and he tried it 2 weeks ago. He did not like it. But that doesn't mean it is bad. He is just race oriented. He tought tacks where a lot harder with soul than with sonic. I have also heard many happy customers but mostly TT users. I however doubt that it has the same performance as sonic 2. I am definitely not pro, more intermediate kiter, but I can jump 11m in lake conditions with it. And airtime is very good. Last session best was over 10s. I prefer glide over jump height especially in small kites. 10m is enough for me, i just want to have longer air time. low aspect kites tend to come down faster than high ar ones. But I have also seen the insane flysurfer video where TT rider jumps with soul to the moon and loops kite few times and lands softly like a feather. So it definitely has performance...

I did not say it is bad kite. Far from it. But I don't think race kites are hard for foiling. They have very good depower which is important for foiling. They go very well upwind and downwind.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm

If I'm not interested in maximum upwind angles (foil boards go enough upwind with any kite) or maximum speed, (I'm not participating competitions), is there any reason to choose chrono or sonic instead of soul?
Is jumping performance much better with race kites like sonic, compared to soul or speed?

BTW, what are the main differences between soul and speed in use?

Return to “Hydrofoil”