Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Foil Kite advice Chrono,Hyperlink, Soul

Postby marekmk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Tony wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm
I am also thinking of getting a first foil kite. Finally took the plunge a few months back and bought a foil setup after borrowing for probably 6-8 times.
I'm not looking to break any light wind barriers, just maybe make things better than when on my 12m Wave kite.
Had a session a few weeks ago where I was questioning if I could get the 12m in the air. Got it up and had to keep it flying or it would have dropped.
Had power enough to ride on the foil and once riding it was perfect, but stopping meant 'work the kite or it drops'.
Actually dropped the kite a few times but amazingly was able to relaunch.
Not sure what the wind was, super light but steady, no whitecaps.
After reading about the Soul, watching some video reviews I'm thinking that's a kite I want to try.
Seems to me a 10M Soul would probably stay flying much easier than my 12m 3-strut and have a bit better low end as well as more high end.
The 12m could also be an option but range on the foil is only one knot lower and many knots higher.
Would be interested in a 12m vs 10m Soul comparison for the foil.
My most used kite is a 9m with the surfboard (or TT but much much less TT time these days).
There are a number of days (or partial days) like described above which I was not able to ride in the past.
I'll eventually have a chance to demo the Soul but haven't managed to coordinate that yet.
I've also been intrigued by TomW's posts regarding the 9m Hyperlink and his enthusiasm over the smoothness of the foil kite vs LEI's.
Hopefully will get a demo sorted out in the next few weeks.
Tony
demo demo demo, learn about these kites, possibly buy one of these kits, be patient........ and some of us are well rewarded................

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

pitbulldoug wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am
I had 2 decent swims albeit pilot error on my part on downlooping and catching a wingtip with my HL and paid the piper
Why, If foil kite wing tip (like 20% of kite span) touches water/land just keep turning the kite. The tip fill fold in and open once back in the air. Or you could even catch steering line and pull for pivot turn the kite faster. Just make sure that flying wing tip has more 'resistance' (=steering pull) than water resist the dragging wing tip.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 am

keep the kite flying and yes if a tip starts closing and you cant move the pressure in the kite on the flying side, gently pull on both of the the flying lines............gentle but quickly !
Last edited by marekmk on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 pm

I would consider easy race foil like Peter lynn Aero (v1 used or v2), flysurfer sonic 2 or ozone chrono. Sonic 2 is awesome kite. Launching is super easy, relaunch is quite easy, jumps like animal, goes well upwind. Range is really good with race kites because you can park it further to the edge of the wind window (helps with high end). If you want to buy cheaper, you can grab very cheaply used f one diablo V1 which is super easy to fly and has great performance.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:04 pm

The hyperlink 9m UL is a great kite for hydrofoiling freeride. Had another great session yesterday. Wind was solid 8ms, with lulls to 6ms and sustained gusts to 9-10. Data said average 8,3ms .
It absorbs everything, completely smooth and perfectly powered at all times. Up loops during flying gybes are sublime. Down loops are adventure, but just dare to follow the kite at high speed and it's super fast ride, no flutter, collapse and smooth power.

I decided to get a used Sonic 2 13m for the lower end of 4-7ms or 6-14 knots. Hope to get it in a week or so.

Finally I might get a 7 or 5m Foil kite for high wind, or find a better LEi for that

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 am

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:15 pm

I have been flying big foils for nearly 20 years. The Soul is the first kite that I can unequivocally recommend to a LEI rider. The Soul has eliminated most of the concerns that people have with foil kites. It is stable, turns well, relaunches well, loops like an LEI, and has shorter bridles. YES, it still is a foil so you can still boost to the moon and the hang-time is amazing. So all the fun, and most of the problems are eliminated. I am selling all my Speed 5's Sonic 2's and Chrono 2's in order to have a quiver of Souls. I kite on the snow and on inland lakes, so stability is important to me. If I rode on the ocean, I might have a 18m Sonic 2 as you get a bit better jumping ability, but I will take the stability of the Soul over the little extra boost of the Sonic 2.

I have no experience with the Hyperlink or Chrono 3. My preference for big foils is:
1. Soul
2. Sonic 2
3. Speed 5
4. Sonic FR
5. Chrono 2
6. Speed 4 Lotus

Luchini
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Boost
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luchini » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 pm

haare wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 pm
I would consider easy race foil like Peter lynn Aero (v1 used or v2), flysurfer sonic 2 or ozone chrono. Sonic 2 is awesome kite. Launching is super easy, relaunch is quite easy, jumps like animal, goes well upwind. Range is really good with race kites because you can park it further to the edge of the wind window (helps with high end). If you want to buy cheaper, you can grab very cheaply used f one diablo V1 which is super easy to fly and has great performance.
I tried the Soul already and was not so convinced from the range. That's why I considerd the Chrono as well but price wise there is a huge plus for the soul. In case of selling I would guess that the price and demand for the used kite also a bit better than for the chronic.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am

Tried the Hyperlink 12, nice and stable, very easy to use. After recently purchasing a race foil I now find the kite is a limiting factor, the Hyperlink managed about 20 knots on a reach, the foil is probably capable of 30-35 knots. I'm guessing a Chrono/Sonic in an 11 mtr would be a better option, which would have a better relaunch if it has a swim?
My research indicates these smaller foils can be problematic to relaunch after a swim and a racefoil often takes you someway offshore.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 am

airsail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am
Tried the Hyperlink 12, nice and stable, very easy to use. After recently purchasing a race foil I now find the kite is a limiting factor, the Hyperlink managed about 20 knots on a reach, the foil is probably capable of 30-35 knots. I'm guessing a Chrono/Sonic in an 11 mtr would be a better option, which would have a better relaunch if it has a swim?
My research indicates these smaller foils can be problematic to relaunch after a swim and a racefoil often takes you someway offshore.
Often got speeds of 32 knots using the 12m Hyperlink.
Measured 35 knots with the 7m Hyperlink.

Top speed is not limited much I think, it is more extreme angles that the race kites can score on.

Overall I do not see the equipment being the limiting factor when it comes to top speed, it is me.

I am riding Hyperlink and R1V2.

Ps: line lengths may be something that plays into this. I am using the 12m HL on 10 and 14m lines.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”