Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surf/kite wing crossover (impulse) for lighter rider

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Surf/kite wing crossover (impulse) for lighter rider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Just wondering if any one has tried the impulse (cloud24) or similar type wing who is a light weight like 130lbs?
Is weight even a factor when it comes to foil size/style?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf/kite wing crossover (impulse) for lighter rider

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 pm
Just wondering if any one has tried the impulse (cloud24) or similar type wing who is a light weight like 130lbs?
Is weight even a factor when it comes to foil size/style?

I can not answer the first question.

But the second - YES, size is a huge factor compared to rider weight.

In the same way as other boards, meaning you dont need twice the area for a rider twice the weight, as the kite gives some more pull thus less lift needed from the board - but I would expect this factor to be a little "less" than on other boards, as we often foil with so little power, that the lift from the kite is way less than from the wing, to keep a rider foiling :D

Being 77 kg myself, I am tired of too big wings pretty fast, eventhough I dont ride fast, but others love these big wings, so personal differences :naughty:

8) Peter

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 pm

I really like them, and I am progressing well with them, they allow me to keep flying long enough to recover when I mess up. I ask because my wife is not progressing as quickly and I wonder if these wings are making the difference for me. She is using a set of medium aspect wings so they do not keep flying as easily when you lose power from the kite.
I remember my first rides with these surf wings, they scared the crap out of me cause they would lift sooo much, now I rarely use a kite larger then 8m, but I'm 80kg, shes only 58kg I'm afraid she will not be able to manage them and I don't want her to get more intimidated, at the same time I'd love to see her progress.
Progression = happy wife = happy life

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jkrug » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 pm

i'm about 205 lbs, use the Impulse. I learned on the LF standard wing. I couldn't believe how much extra lift there was with the Impulse, but quickly learned to get more of my weight up front. Now it just feels natural. So even for me, there was a big difference initially, but i suspect everyone could adjust regardless of their weight. I believe it's about balance more so than weight, i.e., i've never seen any company declare 'this wing should not be used by those less than x lbs'. but anyone can correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Return to “Hydrofoil”