PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Jumping=new love of my life!

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 am

cwood wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 am
My girlfriend :heartface: flew her new Soul 12m today for the first time and loved it!!
What are you waiting for ???
Pull the trigger and the biggest jump of your life.... "100 meters".... and marry that girl :hotchic: ASAP !!
My now better-half kept girlfriend status only 5 months...we said i do quickly...struck gold 25 yrs ago... both windsurfers when we met.. then early 99 we ditched it all for kitesurfing
Sharing the same passion of the wind & surf....being on the water together...talking about the session when we get home.. with a beer in our hands ..all excited is the best feeling ever
Very blessed and thankful
Cheers
:cheers:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 am

Cwood,

Glad to hear your girlfriend is enjoying her new Soul. I have been flying foils for 20 years and the Soul is the best kite I have flown thus far. Thank you for the recommendation on the foilboard. I head to Maui this week, so I hope to taken a couple lessons and possibly demo a board. Can’t wait to boost high on a foilboard.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 am

cwood wrote:
She was boosting it right away. She did have a bit of a swim...... 15 mins in the water and not more than a cup of water in the thing once she drifted in! Amazing.
A bit off topic..

If she can boost (not a novice) why didn't she relaunch the kite? No water inside it should have been super easy.

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby haare » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:09 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 am
I tried foilboarding last year and I have to say it was the gear, not the learning curve that dissuaded me from continuing. Putting together a foilboard while the wind was blowing would often drive me nuts. However, boosting over 30 feet in ten knots has my attention. I have a full quiver of Flysurfer Soul Kites.

I am guessing the progression is to start with a low to mid-aspect hydrofoil and then progress to a high aspect hydrofoil to do the big boosts. I suspect I could use the same board.

I kite inland lakes and is it not uncommon to boost 20 feet high in 10 knots with a twin tip because the gusts are often in the high teens. I can only imagine the boost with a hydrofoil. :thumb:
Jumping is actually a lot easier with higher aspect / smaller wings. Or I mean landing is easier with smaller wings. Also pop is easier to achieve when the foil is more lively.

In lake conditions are probably where foils shine the most. If I compare TT jumping to foil jumping the main difference is that I can go a lot more upwind (I use foil kites also). So I don't need to struggle with upwind performance when the wind is low. With door I cannot jump most of the time because I need to use the gusts to get upwind. I cannot "waste" them jumping. With foil I can jump all gusts and still end up 500m upwind in few minutes.

I am not really interested in which wind is enough to jump with hydrofoil. Is it 6 or 10 knots. I think air temp might have minor effect but gusts have a lot bigger effect. So when I say I kited in 6 knots and jumped 10 of course the jumping happened with gust. With lake conditions gust are far stronger than on the Sea. But Lulls are also worse. With TT I could not have used that maybe 10 knot gust because I could not handle the lulls.

With minimum wind I can foil (about 6 knots) without gust I can jump maybe 5m. Only using the string effect of the foil and generated speed. Everything above that is all about timing with gusts.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 pm

joriws wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 am
cwood wrote:
She was boosting it right away. She did have a bit of a swim...... 15 mins in the water and not more than a cup of water in the thing once she drifted in! Amazing.
A bit off topic..

If she can boost (not a novice) why didn't she relaunch the kite? No water inside it should have been super easy.
Ha!!! I knew this question was coming! She had an unexplained chicken loop release and it was just a bit too much going on for her and she decided to just drift in. She did reload the bar but decided not to fight it and used it as a self rescue practice, which I have been lecturing on.

She had a release on launch as well so I need to spend some time examining things.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 am
cwood wrote:
My girlfriend :heartface: flew her new Soul 12m today for the first time and loved it!!
What are you waiting for ???
Pull the trigger and the biggest jump of your life.... "100 meters".... and marry that girl :hotchic: ASAP !!
My now better-half kept girlfriend status only 5 months...we said i do quickly...struck gold 25 yrs ago... both windsurfers when we met.. then early 99 we ditched it all for kitesurfing
Sharing the same passion of the wind & surf....being on the water together...talking about the session when we get home.. with a beer in our hands ..all excited is the best feeling ever
Very blessed and thankful
Cheers
:cheers:
I (we) count ourselves as very lucky indeed....and its exactly the dynamic you describe! Yesterday we had a full day blissful session with friends, broke the 12m Soul Cherry, advanced our skills and then enjoyed a cold beer and snacks while talking about how great it all is. We both had prior 20 year marriages so nobody is in too much of a hurry....if ya know what I mean. But seriously I need to pinch myself. She was a kiter before I had touched one. Had a foil kite (15m speed3) to boot. I came from wave windsurfing.

Pullstrings....we can argue but you sound like a great guy with a great relationship...kudos on picking right and fast originally. The alternative is quite expensive. :o

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

haare wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:09 am
fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 am
I tried foilboarding last year and I have to say it was the gear, not the learning curve that dissuaded me from continuing. Putting together a foilboard while the wind was blowing would often drive me nuts. However, boosting over 30 feet in ten knots has my attention. I have a full quiver of Flysurfer Soul Kites.

I am guessing the progression is to start with a low to mid-aspect hydrofoil and then progress to a high aspect hydrofoil to do the big boosts. I suspect I could use the same board.

I kite inland lakes and is it not uncommon to boost 20 feet high in 10 knots with a twin tip because the gusts are often in the high teens. I can only imagine the boost with a hydrofoil. :thumb:
Jumping is actually a lot easier with higher aspect / smaller wings. Or I mean landing is easier with smaller wings. Also pop is easier to achieve when the foil is more lively.

In lake conditions are probably where foils shine the most. If I compare TT jumping to foil jumping the main difference is that I can go a lot more upwind (I use foil kites also). So I don't need to struggle with upwind performance when the wind is low. With door I cannot jump most of the time because I need to use the gusts to get upwind. I cannot "waste" them jumping. With foil I can jump all gusts and still end up 500m upwind in few minutes.

I am not really interested in which wind is enough to jump with hydrofoil. Is it 6 or 10 knots. I think air temp might have minor effect but gusts have a lot bigger effect. So when I say I kited in 6 knots and jumped 10 of course the jumping happened with gust. With lake conditions gust are far stronger than on the Sea. But Lulls are also worse. With TT I could not have used that maybe 10 knot gust because I could not handle the lulls.

With minimum wind I can foil (about 6 knots) without gust I can jump maybe 5m. Only using the string effect of the foil and generated speed. Everything above that is all about timing with gusts.
Dead on comments here. Very good observations.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 am
Cwood,

Glad to hear your girlfriend is enjoying her new Soul. I have been flying foils for 20 years and the Soul is the best kite I have flown thus far. Thank you for the recommendation on the foilboard. I head to Maui this week, so I hope to taken a couple lessons and possibly demo a board. Can’t wait to boost high on a foilboard.
Excellent. Put in the time and get through the pain and I guarantee you will NEVER look back. You can attempt boosts as soon as you feel comfortable riding the wing. Don't fear it...that mast and wings will always be below.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm

haare wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:09 am
With minimum wind I can foil (about 6 knots) without gust I can jump maybe 5m. Only using the string effect of the foil and generated speed.
Sorry to be a stickler :lol: .....say what ??... maybe 5m in 6kn !!

I tell you what...in the real world of about 6 knots...not in a magical world...if the temperature is 86F...water temp is 86F....humidity is 86%...you will get "zero" meter of height
You will be barely boringly mowing the lawn using the largest available ram air kite and the very best foilboard

Those about 6 knots from sensor stations and windmeters make you believe in windspeed bullshit..........you guys crack me up :rollgrin: ....keep em coming :wink:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:26 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm
Dead on comments here. Very good observations.
Yeah with dead wind... guys are pulling 5 to 10 meter jumps !! :jump:
Thanks to those very good Sensors observations knots !! :jap:
:wink: Just having some fun so you know... before my real 12 knots of side-on wind session with baby :baby: 2ft waves :) coming up

Return to “Hydrofoil”