Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot H4 Wing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

gl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 10, Concept Air Smart 2.5, 4.5, 8.5, 12.5, water smart 6.5 and 8.5, Pulsion 6, 12. Slingshot Simulator and wake wf2 foil boards, Slingshot H4, Infinity 76 and 84 foil wings, North Nugget, Ocean Rodeo Duke
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot H4 Wing

Postby gl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:48 pm

I normally kite on a Shinn Jackson 145 and the P foil which I really like. The last few days the wind has been really light and so I thought I would try my SUP foil the Slingshot H4 wing on my Jackson board. I noticed it was quite a bit heavier in feel carrying it into the water. Once in the water I never noticed the weight. I am not a great hydrofoil kiter although I can go in relatively light wind and have no trouble with level flight and going up and downwind. Where I kite the water is quite shallow out a long way and when the wind is 11 knots or less it tends to come and go so I use the 60 cm. mast that way I do not have to head far out into deep water and if the wind dies completely like today it is a short swim and then long walk back to shore. I was using a Conceptair Pulsion 12 meter in standard cloth. If I can drift launch it (we have no beach) then I can usually kite on the P foil. I was just barley able to drift launch it and had to wave the kite back and forth to keep the strapless board on my feet. Once I dove the kite I was amazed how easily I came up on the foil and how stable it was. I was able do all kinds direction changes effortlessly that I would normally have trouble doing in such light wind. At one point I was riding along and noticed the kite was no longer keeping up as the wind had dropped and I had to start fly the kite up and down and heading upwind to tension the lines again. Once I had found the balance point for my feet it was effortless to keep level flight and a really great sensation. I have no idea whether the foil is slow or not as I rarely go very fast anyway. I have no tried it in stronger wind but I will use it all the time for the lightest of wind now. I will have to try it in stronger wind next time.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot H4 Wing

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Glad you liked. Used one once, nice and stable while going slow, and it is kinda slow in general. It didn’t completely click for me as it was on a short mast and I’m not used to that. My friend who owns it digs it though, I would like to try with the 30” mast myself.

gl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 10, Concept Air Smart 2.5, 4.5, 8.5, 12.5, water smart 6.5 and 8.5, Pulsion 6, 12. Slingshot Simulator and wake wf2 foil boards, Slingshot H4, Infinity 76 and 84 foil wings, North Nugget, Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby gl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks. I have a 30 inch last that I will try next time in stronger wind. Yes it was really stable going slow.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:37 pm

That's the beauty of large wings - lowend. While you can't ride it really fast, it is an awesome freeride/slowride/wave option.

Depending yon your weight you might be sufficient with H2 wing too as a golden middle ground between standard H5 and stingray-sized H4

VB705
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM

Postby VB705 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:14 pm

I use the H2 wing now. It comes up on foil at around
6 mph. I’ve had it up to 17 mph on my gps. Not sure how much more I could push it either.

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Slingshot H4 Wing

Postby Jonpnw » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 pm

FullSizeRender.jpg
H4 is a fantastic wing for those who are looking to "cruise" and "surf" small swell. Highly recommended !

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

VB705 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:14 pm
I use the H2 wing now. It comes up on foil at around
6 mph. I’ve had it up to 17 mph on my gps. Not sure how much more I could push it either.
This is great to know, thanks for mentioning it. On Slingshot's website there it is conspicuous in it's absence for kitefoiling. I have one for windfoiling that I'm planning to have serve double duty for kitefoiling, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. It's replacing a more nimble kite foil of mine but I'm okay with any performance tradeoff if it gets me going in both sports. I also like the early 6mph takeoff you speak of. Cheers!

Return to “Hydrofoil”