Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surf Foils for Kiteboarding?

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

I should add that having a large board with a surf wing and a short mast sucks donkey balls and u will ventilate on the carves no matter what you do, pocket boards and surf wings

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 pm

My motives for staying with 68cm mast on my surf foil, is it keeps my skills at a high level for when conditions are good for surf foiling, not kite surf foiling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Dwight wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 am
Peter,

Do you have a shorter mast to go with those surf wings? I know some pro guys who won’t ride tall masts with surf foils. Surf foils react quicker on shorter.

I use a 68cm mast on mine. It can be tricky when the wave size is bigger though 😃

Uuuh, can not say Dwight...

Have only been out a couple of times with the 1200, using my 91 and 100 cm masts.

I got an 83 cm but I dont think I will use it with the surf wing, unless it is for marginal wind riding in dead onshore winds.

I never used it with my big and small wave wings (790 and 570 cm2) - only when riding a ligthwind wing/board in 6 knots onshore.

Can not see why I should prefer the shorter one with the huge surf wing - but we will see if the faster reaction outweighs the disadvantages...

8) PF

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 am

I have a takuma v100 and a LF happy foil. I hate the surf foil for kiting, slow and doesn't "take off" or build apparent wind at all...it's torturous. Great for actual surfing though.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

Shorter mast and faster reactions are more fun and easier to ride. I've a 750mm mast on now, and even from the 900mm I had when the gear arrived (before the short mast) and it was just a little ponderous.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 am
I have a takuma v100 and a LF happy foil. I hate the surf foil for kiting, slow and doesn't "take off" or build apparent wind at all...it's torturous. Great for actual surfing though.
Interesting, you should try the LF Impulse wing, compared to the happy foil its hard not to take off, is not slow and easily builds apparent wind. I learned on the happy foil, my wife still uses it, we swapped boards the other day and I couldn't even get off the water with the happy foil after using the impulse for so long...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:21 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 am
I’ve heard from others, the Takuma original surf foil was the slowest foil on the market. I’m not familiar with Takuma wing models. Might be worth testing another brand to see.

I’ve ridden 5 different surf wings and tell you some are every bit as fast as some of the more mediocre kite wings out there.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:19 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 pm
I bought the Surf wing, a Ketos 660-1200, and got it today.

Has been a Ketos SUP wing for some time, that now will be offered to kitefoils, given the demand from riders.

8) Peter
Hi Peter, I can’t see these on the Ketos website, only the SUP version with 4 offset holes. Just wanted to check that the one you have fits a standard kite fuselage (2 holes)? Is this a prototype that you have for testing, or are they available to all (& just not on website yet?)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Not Peter but the answer is that the hole spacing of the farthest holes is the same as the ketos kite wings.
The front and rear holes are on center, with the others offset to each side.
So the 1200 can go on the kite fuselage, or the beefier windsurf/SUP fuselage with 4 holes.

AGK
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby AGK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:43 pm

I have found that the Cloud IX S24 (LF Impulse) surf wings are MUCH easier for me to handle overpowered in rough water than my previous smaller non-surf wings (Stringy and Alpine Access). If I park the kite high and depower, I can cruise along upwind or stay in good control downwind. In the same conditions on the other foils I always felt out of control – both because of rapid acceleration and because it was harder to keep my 67cm mast (we have shallow water) from breaching in the wind swell. (BRM Cloud kites, 145cm Shinn low-volume board, second year foiling)

This may be in part because I am a slightly better foiler than I was 6 weeks ago when I started using these wings, but I think it has more to do with the ability to control speed and make intuitive corrections to board height and course with these wings. Curious if anybody else has had the same experience.

Return to “Hydrofoil”