Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Teaching wife hydrofoil.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Teaching wife hydrofoil.

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:52 am

OK. I'm totally obsessed with HF. Its like I always wanted from kiting to be. Its like endless downwinder, endless epic ride with minimum kite power in way and maximum board riding.
My wife can kite - she can so so kite on TT. I dont want for her for waisting time on sprayboard just to struggle to be upwind. I want to share what i think is currently best board riding sport.

Its realistically possible to skip TT and learning HF for recreational vacation kiting? She had decent kite control.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Teaching wife hydrofoil.

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:22 am

While I heard instructors terrified of that idea, I personally think you can get her start on a foil right away. Most guys think it’s hard to foil because they already built TT leg muscle memory and for her it’ll be fresh start anyway.

I suggest she starts with shorter mast and large board with a nice nose scoop rocker so it feels a lot like surfboard, or maybe has hew first couple of board session on a surfboard, just to feel the board behavior.

A large wing should feel easier to start with and carve around too and later you’d know if she has a need for speed or she wants to cruise the swell.

Once on a foil a girl will stay on a foil - that’s my theory about girls who didn’t grow up wakeboarding.

Get her to the right thing right away, I’m with you on that buddy!

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:22 am

My wife does raileys and s bends but wont foil after seeing all the blood and cuts I got when learning.

I think if you took it really slow in light wind the risk would be lowered a lot. Just get her to cruise around for the first few days riding the foil board on the surface like a surfboard.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am

Interesting topic!
Simultaneously on an other topic, we are debating, maybe its better wife's don't kite all together, and here we are thinking how to share the wonderful feeling of foiling with our family.
While I taught my wife to kite @45 I'm not sure foiling is a good idea for my her to get into...
Don't take me wrong, I'm confident she is more than capable to actually learn the technique required, my hesitation comes from her dealing with issues involved with crashing, foil in lines, long swim, sharp objects coming at you with speed etc. and generally surviving the first 3 hours ;-)
I believe (like getting wife to kite) the answer is very much individual, you need to know how your partner deal's with situations where she needs to stay focust, see things in advance and be able to think clear when needed.
Same as kiting with a TT, only more advanced.
I taught my son to kite when he was 12 and to foil at 14, for the first 6-12 months I was "hovering " up wind from him, in case we have a situation and we did...from kite in slow death loop with foil in between line's to lost board. I did that because I knew he will get it, but was young so its a learning phase, with my wife its different.
Nothing makes me happier, but to share a session with my Family, however I think the foil for at least until she has super confident kite control and a perfect place to learn (!) it's not for her...

cheers

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am
Interesting topic!
Simultaneously on an other topic, we are debating, maybe its better wife's don't kite all together, and here we are thinking how to share the wonderful feeling of foiling with our family.
While I taught my wife to kite @45 I'm not sure foiling is a good idea for my her to get into...
Don't take me wrong, I'm confident she is more than capable to actually learn the technique required, my hesitation comes from her dealing with issues involved with crashing, foil in lines, long swim, sharp objects coming at you with speed etc. and generally surviving the first 3 hours ;-)
I believe (like getting wife to kite) the answer is very much individual, you need to know how your partner deal's with situations where she needs to stay focust, see things in advance and be able to think clear when needed.
Same as kiting with a TT, only more advanced.
I taught my son to kite when he was 12 and to foil at 14, for the first 6-12 months I was "hovering " up wind from him, in case we have a situation and we did...from kite in slow death loop with foil in between line's to lost board. I did that because I knew he will get it, but was young so its a learning phase, with my wife its different.
Nothing makes me happier, but to share a session with my Family, however I think the foil for at least until she has super confident kite control and a perfect place to learn (!) it's not for her...

cheers
I think this is totally on the money. Depends on the person. There is complexity with foiling that some may just not want to deal with (Men or women). We both were on foil kites and Flyrace boards which would allow us to trek all over the place with upwind capabilities not found on normal TT...we really enjoyed this, but when I switched to hydrofoil I was off kiting alone again. She being very strong kite skills wise and without scaring her off with the possible bad shit, I set her up with a Slingshot hoverglide, 24 inch mast and a big board with mast waaaaay back and she was riding the board in first session on the surface and playing with getting up on the wing shortly after. Just now graduated to a 90cm Moses mast and 550 wing and loving it and we can now venture around together again. She loves it. There have been a few board losses but between myself and the rest of the crew we have been able to round stuff up and avoid and demoralizing situations. I had been nervous when she was on a foil kite (speed 5) while learning (added complexity if you drop it) and felt better when she was on one of her tube kites. Since have gotten her a Soul 12m and that is the best combo as she doesn't want to use tube kites.

People have to realize that there will be swimming and self rescuing....so it is a necessary part of the training process. Just like safety basics when first learning to kite.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Many thanks for all opinion. I read all as encouraging - I read what i want to read :)
I appreciate any further opinion and tips

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Tomtom , my wife is a keen twin tipper but when she wanted to change her lightwind kite I suggested that she learnt to foil instead.
So I bought her the Moses Onda 633 and had an old north Nugget converted to take the mast .
First time out and she rode the board a few hundred metres and was on the foil for probably 50.
After we came to shore she said it was awesome and doesn’t want to TT again.
What she liked most was being able to use smaller kites and the whole “ weightless feeling “

Ps She’s in her 50’s

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Not many girls foiling here either :roll:

But I honestly think they, all lumped together I know, are better at foiling than we are, as many girls are super light footed and good at dancing and balancing and they can learn to tack and jibe with excellent footwork and smoothness a lot better/faster, and not like us male "clumsier ones" in general :thumb:

It was maybe off topic I know :wink:

8) PF

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:20 pm
... as many girls are super light footed and good at dancing and balancing and they can learn to tack and jibe with excellent footwork and smoothness a lot better/faster, and not like us male "clumsier ones" in general :thumb: ...
I agree absolutely! Also less of getting shaken and thrown around by chop they’d love that smooth feeling of flight.

And I’m wondering about what should be wing size difference for weight variance. We might need another topic for that...

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 pm

grigorib wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:20 pm
... as many girls are super light footed and good at dancing and balancing and they can learn to tack and jibe with excellent footwork and smoothness a lot better/faster, and not like us male "clumsier ones" in general :thumb: ...
I agree absolutely! Also less of getting shaken and thrown around by chop they’d love that smooth feeling of flight.

And I’m wondering about what should be wing size difference for weight variance. We might need another topic for that...
with Bikini pictures

Return to “Hydrofoil”