Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strappless or Strapped for Learning to Foil ??

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strappless or Strapped for Learning to Foil ??

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:30 pm

snowycarter wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 am
Hi all, i am just about to learn foiling. Until now my focus in kiting has been strappless on like a 5' 2" surfboard.
I would like to continue to just be strappless on the foilboard but wanted to hear from you all on if it is bettter/easier to learn with straps?
Thanks in advance......
The safest way would be to learn with two hooks until you foil safely.
Then lose the rear one
Then get rid of the front one

Straps are riskier especially front strap only - twisted/broken ankles take time to heal

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:45 am
haare wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 am
(...) Straps tell you where you need to keep your feet. Straps also help with balance because you can direct the board by lifting your feet up also. (...)
This assumes that the straps are in the correct position FOR YOU, which is a pretty strong assumption...
I’d have a good rider to demo the foil and make sure straps are not crazily off. Or maybe set it into his perfect position and then move mast an inch and a half back for learning

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I have looked through most if not all the posts mentioning the foot hooks, I bought a set of these when they first came out, and used them for 3 sessions.
then unscrewed them and sold them on.
the reason was two very scary situations when the bar got trapped in the hooks during big wind chop water starts, which started with the lines getting caught first quickly followed by the bar as the kite power came on hard as the trapped lines tightened up, flipping awful situation.
But no one else seems to have had this happen????
just me:[

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Foil wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 pm
I have looked through most if not all the posts mentioning the foot hooks, I bought a set of these when they first came out, and used them for 3 sessions.
then unscrewed them and sold them on.
the reason was two very scary situations when the bar got trapped in the hooks during big wind chop water starts, which started with the lines getting caught first quickly followed by the bar as the kite power came on hard as the trapped lines tightened up, flipping awful situation.
But no one else seems to have had this happen????
just me:[
Yes, this is the biggest risk with hooks.

snowycarter
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowycarter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:18 pm

So many good suggestions, thank you all !!

Benicia Wind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Benicia CA USA
Favorite Beaches: Benicia CA USA
Style: strapless foil
Gear: DIY foil. NRG surfboard. Jimmy Lewis surfboard. Liquid Force One 12M. Slingshot Rally 9M.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Benicia Wind » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm a big fan of strapless. A little harder at first but after learning the basics, you can try just about anything you want without fear of ankle or knee injury.

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Benicia Wind wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 pm
I'm a big fan of strapless. A little harder at first but after learning the basics, you can try just about anything you want without fear of ankle or knee injury.
[/quote

What you do lose with strapless is the ability to control/redirect the foil as you’re falling. Beware the unmanned foil...

AGK
Medium Poster

Postby AGK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:32 pm

+1 for learning strapless. I'm a rider of (barely) average ability who took more than average time to learn to foil. Strapless may have slowed me down some, but I never felt remotely like I would hurt my knees or ankles during my thousands of crashes. And now that I'm decent at it, I feel like the ability to move around the board makes it really easy to experiment with different ways of turning and switching feet.

I do think that a low-volume board is ESSENTIAL for learning strapless -- high volume boards are just too hard to keep on their sides while you get everything set to waterstart, especially when it's all new. I was certainly influenced by Greg Drexler's writings when deciding to go strictly strapless, and for me it was great advice.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I'd recommend wakestyle boots for learning how to hydrofoil.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 pm

I learned with a loose front strap only, and that worked well for me, no twisted ankles and easy to get away from the board when crashing. I'm comfortable riding smoothly both directions, but only on the Slingshot Hoverglide. Any other foil I've tried just tosses me off, especially the carbon ones.

BUT, I've struggled to ride toeside and was annoyed at having to restart all the time, so I decided to go strapless. I could not do it with my buddies boards, so I tried another that Bob from Madison had at Cape Hatteras last summer for learners, the largest available Slingshot board with the aluminum Slingshot Hoverglide foil.

I didn't try the strapless starting procedure I see on videos and described in several posts above where you try to get the board on its side all hunched up, instead I did it the way I start on my strapless directionals. I just get the board pointed in the right direction, leaving the foil fully downward and the board flat, lift both feet onto the board, and dive the kite to bring me up onto the board and ride away. Took perhaps three tries to get it right.

And now, to try to learn touch-down gybes, I've taken an old rubber-top seven foot surfboard and bolted my Hoverglide foil onto it and am rapidly learning touch-down gybes, indeed got them right off the bat with 15 inch mast, so moving back up to 24 inch, etc. Next will be to bolt the foil to one of my directionals, or fork over the money for a Slingshot Converter board. I doubt I will ever get to do full foiling gybes, but I want to avoid having to restart all the time. I'm 62, kiting for 13 years, and 85kg.

Return to “Hydrofoil”