Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foil skills improve my TTip riding, wow!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

foil skills improve my TTip riding, wow!

Postby Foil » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:06 am

For the first time in nearly 12 months, yesterday I was forced to use my TTip as the wind and wave combination was just to much for the foil, 36-40mph onshore winds with big messy waves up to the shoreline.
All my kites are now Reo's and the 8mtr was used to have the best ever TTip session of my last 19 years, being able to loop the kite in any situation on the waves to keep up with pushing sets was only possible due to last 12 months of learning how to do the same on the foil in all water states, as looping the kite on the foil one handed in gybes and fast downwind sessions are such fantastic sensations on the foil, you just have to master the kite loop skill to enjoy the thrill.
But having these skills and then finding it has transformed the way I use my TTip (which was being used more as a pretend wave board with tiny fins for a very skatey loose feel anyways) made for the best ever session which lasted for 5 hours until I was cramping up from the shear energy used in those conditions, even my jaw was cramping up due to smiling too much.
Using the sliding rope system on my harness was so much better as well for turning quickly to toeside on the waves as it enables me to look round so much better and spot the wave shapes behind me, I wish I had changed to a sliding rope system before taking up Foiling, in fact why have anything else unless your one of the few who needs to unhook.
So now my dusty TTip has at last been saved from the listings on ebay, and I am looking forward to some more high wind wave conditions.
Funny haw things suddenly change your thinking and beliefs.
I thought my TTip days were over.
Not anymore!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Re: foil skills improve my TTip riding, wow!

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 am

Nice read. Get the point. The stoke is shared to the reader. :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am

My tt'ing has gotten worse. Why? I'm spending way less time on that board. Had a powered jumping session a week or so ago. My redirect timing was all out for the really big jumps.......

But I'm certainly a lot smoother carving on the wave face.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 am

I guess all the hours spent foiling teach you more about finesse, balance, power frugality, efficiency, (and...light wind relaunch) which are skills that are all somewhat transferable to other subdisciplines of kiting.
Foiling also contributes to having some freakin' strong legs, which will help you chomp some chop on your TT.

I think foiling opens you to the vast playground out there, and teaches you some interesting angles to the wind that are also worth exploring on other crafts. Obviously you won't go upwind like a foil, but going deep downwind on a TT, looping left and right is definitely super fun, and it can only be a good thing if foiling open your eyes on that dimension and takes you out of the back and forth standard trajectories that 90% of TT riders favor.
I had 10 years of extensive kite looping and carving on (carvable) Twin Tips before moving onto surfboards, then onto foils, so those skills and perspectives transferred naturally to the foiling, and not really the other way around, like suggested by the OP, but I can understand how it'd happen for some riders with different backgrounds.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Can identify with this. Noticed it more on the surfboard, but a bit on TT too. Some of it is just the willingness to loop the kite in more situations, some of it is trimming the board better, but for some of it, its just the re found joy of getting to be a power pig. I freeride foil with small kites. Most of the time the lines are not very loaded. My TT set up is the opposite end of the spectrum with a pretty rockered board and C kite. We've had a week of wind here and its been nice to lay into the power and just send a wall of water up. Three days in the slick and my abs were toast! Had to go back to the foil to give em a break.

Return to “Hydrofoil”