Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: slingshot H2 or H4 for learning jibing and tacking

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 am

If I had a milling machine handy I'd be able to shave off a good half of weight at least and still be fitting existing setup.
You don't need professional machinery; a circular hand saw with wood blade cuts through soft alum with ease. I did this mod last year with LF fuse and reduced the weight from 1200 to 800 g. Still no match for carbon fuselage at 350 g -- lot more work but worth it.

apos0
Medium Poster

Postby apos0 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:19 am
I ride all the SS foils and wings a lot and know them very well.

Both the H2 (new Gamma 2019 foil) and H4 (Space Skate) are higher lift foils and very stable. I'd actually give the overall nod to the H2 (Gamma) for stability. It's wider.

Both are very stable and early lift foils, but go about it differently. H2 is wider and longer and very lifty. H4 is less long, but fatter, but also very high lift.

Due to the H4 being less wide and fatter, the H4 or Space Skate is quicker from edge to edge, but both will be good for learning transitions, tacking and jibing.

If, however, you are doing touchdowns during these, these foils will want to hop back up sooner than the H5 (time code 57). Sometimes having LESS lift is easier if you are still working on your footwork and touching down. You can skim across the water faster without foiling. Having the right speed often helps in these maneuvers. Not too fast and not too slow.

If you are looking for a better foil for above the water footwork, pick the one that fits your riding style more. I think the H2 is less tippy overall.

Honestly? I like all 4 foils from SS (I think the H1 is a myth), but the H2, H3, H4 and H5 and new 2019 models are all really fun for different reasons.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Hey Bob did you try the 2019 Ghost Whisper 91? I found I had way too much front foot pressure. Any input on settings? Thanks

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm

apos0 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am
toyletbowl wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:19 am
I ride all the SS foils and wings a lot and know them very well.

Both the H2 (new Gamma 2019 foil) and H4 (Space Skate) are higher lift foils and very stable. I'd actually give the overall nod to the H2 (Gamma) for stability. It's wider.

Both are very stable and early lift foils, but go about it differently. H2 is wider and longer and very lifty. H4 is less long, but fatter, but also very high lift.

Due to the H4 being less wide and fatter, the H4 or Space Skate is quicker from edge to edge, but both will be good for learning transitions, tacking and jibing.

If, however, you are doing touchdowns during these, these foils will want to hop back up sooner than the H5 (time code 57). Sometimes having LESS lift is easier if you are still working on your footwork and touching down. You can skim across the water faster without foiling. Having the right speed often helps in these maneuvers. Not too fast and not too slow.

If you are looking for a better foil for above the water footwork, pick the one that fits your riding style more. I think the H2 is less tippy overall.

Honestly? I like all 4 foils from SS (I think the H1 is a myth), but the H2, H3, H4 and H5 and new 2019 models are all really fun for different reasons.

Hope this helps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Hey Bob did you try the 2019 Ghost Whisper 91? I found I had way too much front foot pressure. Any input on settings? Thanks
I had a chance to ride it in the Gorge yesterday at the AWSI Boardsports expo and was on a 4m SS SST. Rode it strapless and didn't find it to have too much front foot pressure at all. It was pretty gusty, but it was my best session that day by a long shot. Quite a bit quicker than I expected. Normal setting. Right around 3. I also rode the GW 101 the next session and it kicked in even more and it was harder to control in the gusts. 91 GW was a lot more fun in those conditions. Want to try the 101 again in a little less nuking winds.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:25 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm
... I also rode the GW 101 the next session and it kicked in even more and it was harder to control in the gusts. 91 GW was a lot more fun in those conditions. Want to try the 101 again in a little less nuking winds.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
I’m glad you got to enjoy 633 and I’m sure 590 will be no less exciting!

Few guys in Gorge know me thanks to my excitement about these wings :)

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Here is a quick instructional on entry level jibes.
https://youtu.be/aUUZnPiPHlA

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:45 pm
Here is a quick instructional on entry level jibes.
https://youtu.be/aUUZnPiPHlA
Nice Video! :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”