Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestions on which "neutral buoyancy" foil to get.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Suggestions on which "neutral buoyancy" foil to get.

Postby Foxi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 am

Thats how Groove/Onda Combo floats as a standard after a post-fully-foiled-crash ..
994F403C-E3B9-4E4B-B7E2-F76BE160F0FD.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:34 pm

There are also a disadvantage of "floating foils" as they tend not to be so easy retrievable after a crash, so not always a win-win eventhough lighter is in general better yes :(

8) PF

I have found the opposite to be true. With a "sinking foil", after a crash, the foil goes vertical and shoots downwind quickly and you have to chase it. With a "floating foil", after the crash, the foil remains horizontal and tends to just bob in place, allowing easier retrieval.

Yes, it goes vertical thus it dolphins downwind, and you can get it in a splitsecond just fly or even loop the kite :naughty:

If it is on its side, and you crash ending up downwind, you have to bodydrag for quite some time to get up to the board, as it sits on the side in the wind hardly going nowhere :(

For me this is a PITA regarding how fast you get back up on the board, as getting yourself downwind is superfast and easy, whereas upwind take a lot of time.

Maybe we crash differently?

I most often end up leeward of my board when I crash, and hardly never far windward of my board :D

Or do you talk about crashing the kite in the water? I doubt it, as this happens extremely rare when over the beginner stage.

The good thing is, you have to learn to crash less often - a motivation in itself just like riding in winter icy waters (apart from you just dont try anything nomore thus NOT good) :thumb:

8) PF

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Why would nonsinking foil sit there in place? Wouldn't it rather drift across the wind? Last year somebody actually reported his rig sailing upwind by itself!

I personally find the board drifting downwind super nice feature. With kite at 12 want to drift downwind slower than the board? Anchor the body vertical in the water. Want to drift faster than the board to catch it downwind? You don't even have to sine or loop the kite, just streamline your body horizontal for less water resistance.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:20 pm

The buoyancy of the foil isn't a good parameter to use when deciding how to spend your money. Seeing as this is page 3 of this thread, I'll just assume there's some disagreement with this point, but it's like asking, "What's the best foil to buy that comes with a sticker on it?"

Like...what? Why would you use that as the reason to decide to buy it? The problem being discussed only applies to rank amateurs and doesn't exist in the intermediate to advanced ranks of hydrofoiling.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm

slowboat wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

There are also a disadvantage of "floating foils" as they tend not to be so easy retrievable after a crash, so not always a win-win eventhough lighter is in general better yes :(

8) PF
I have found the opposite to be true. With a "sinking foil", after a crash, the foil goes vertical and shoots downwind quickly and you have to chase it. With a "floating foil", after the crash, the foil remains horizontal and tends to just bob in place, allowing easier retrieval.
I have to correct you there Peter. If you have a no volume board with a buoyant Foil floating on it's side in flat water, it will sail itself upwind. Catching up to your foil when this happens can be difficult. This is why I prefer having a board with volume like the Groove as this does not happen.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:58 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm
slowboat wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) PF

I have to correct you there Peter. If you have a no volume board with a buoyant Foil floating on it's side in flat water, it will sail itself upwind. Catching up to your foil when this happens can be difficult. This is why I prefer having a board with volume like the Groove as this does not happen.

--
Gunnar

Precisely my point Gunnar - a board on its side and a floating foil will sail itself upwind, can be really hard to retrieve :(
Some boards do this more than others, not only volume but also the edge and size etc influences how well it "rides by itself".

But if it sinks because of a heavier foil, it will dolphin and/or drift with the wind down to you quite fast :thumb:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”