LF Happy Pill foil board
Zeeko Green & White
Liquid Force 6' surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rider Reviews: 2019 Ghost Whisperer 91, Moses 633, Lift 170, H-glide H4

Postby MreeBored802 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm

I've been hunting around online for reviews and comparisons between the low aspect surfy foils that seem relatively beginner friendly as well as having lasting appeal and versatility for intermediate and advanced foilers alike. You can find manufactures descriptions of foil attributes and bits and pieces about comparative riding characteristics from major shop videos but there doesn't seem to be any 'collection point' for rider reviews. An example might be something like... https://paddling.com/reviews/ ...where paddlers of various kayak brands/models offer opinions about the characteristics of the kayaks they paddle.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Rider Reviews: 2019 Ghost Whisperer 91, Moses 633, Lift 170, H-glide H4

Postby TomW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Takes a lot of reading and research. Part of the problem is its a new sport, these foils are new development and just getting out to a wide audience.
Yesterday I picked up my Moses 633. The reseller said he's sold 10 of them in Sweden. That surprised me, no one on our local fb groups has posted a review from here. It means there's a lot of people out there riding, but not active online.

I already had Moses gear I learned on. It turned out to be a good bet, because now I could get a new wing that everyone likes as surf wing and use existing mast.

I can't give any comparison nor good review as I've only been out today for first time. I can say it's so different from the 590/550 that it's a separate category of riding. Like mtb vs Road biking

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:21 pm

It would be interesting for a site like http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites to have additional sections for boards/foils.

The GW 91 = Moses 633 w/ Slingshot stickers w/ a 91cm mast.

I havent riden a MHL 170, but had a 150 for the past year. It's a bit more carvey than the 633 and a tad lighter, I believe because of the dihedral shape(perhaps Moses will offer a smaller stabilizer to loosen up the 633?). The 633 is able to go slower than the 150, & quicker to accelerate. While the 633 wing feels more fragile, it's thin profile is probably helps it's speed.

H4 is slow & steady. Quite a bit of heft getting it into the water, but not as noticeable once riding. If you're going to bash it into stuff, this is the one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:26 pm

True, it is a way too new part of kitehydrofoiling with these "surf" wings.

Ketos and Moses have probably had these for the longest time (Ketos for over a year, Moses I dont know but some time too).
It has only caught on hugely all over in the last 3 months actually, and many brands are making and testing these wings now.

So you wont relly find comparisons yet.

AND, even if, it will often be difficult to compare, as like always noone is impartial, and so many things can influence when testing, even the trim/aoa settings.

These surf wings +1000 cm2 should not be confused with marginal wind wings, as the latter got higher span and higher AR and are not surf wings, but can go even earlier.
They are also very rare though, even less than the surf wings as a limited market...

I got curious by Kami and others in here, enjoying these wings, so I had to get one to see what the fuzz was all about :roll:

And it WAS a splendid fuzz and a new "portal" in terms of hydrofoiling.

You can ride the waves even better/closer, you use 1½ size smaller kites, and if not skilled your transitions will be a lot easier too :thumb:

For max jumping they make no sense IMO, as here I prefer to use really small and much faster wings instead - but for everything else, especially strapless, they are awesome :D

You will have to wait till more shows up and some will comment on these, but even that might not make much sense.
As right now it is "every man for himself", meaning, I rave about my Ketos surf wing as that is what I got, and others rave about their Moses Onda wing, so not really any comparisons.

I would just GET ONE if I were you, and get out riding instead, life is too short and too good not to enjoy it right away :naughty:

8) Peter

MreeBored802
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Gear: Switchblades 6, 9, 12
TT 137 cm Agression
LF Happy Pill foil board
Zeeko Green & White
Liquid Force 6' surfboard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MreeBored802 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 pm

"I would just GET ONE if I were you, and get out riding instead, life is too short and too good not to enjoy it right away"...

... your point is well taken Peter. I did order a 2018 H-glide discounted rig with H4 wing for exactly that reason - to get started relatively economically and watch wings 'unfold' further while building a basic skill set. Truth is I was getting antsy (during the windless dog days of summer), talking myself into the idea that research might illuminate some inside track on the 'holy grail foil' in carbon just to shave 4-5 lbs off the rig at age 71. Your right-on about all the unavoidable variables that come into play as far as reviews go. It will take time to see what names keep surfacing and who knows but what Zeeko Spitfire may end up stirring the mainstream surf-wing pot by that time.

Return to “Hydrofoil”