Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cloud vs Reo.

Postby marekmk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Not cool to suggest that people are not posting from their Kiting experience. We are all welcome to post what we enjoy to kite and how we feel about that experience , just because they do not gel with your experience Yu become nasty, pompous!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Well there was one who seemed to say the clouds weren’t good after trying to fly one once.
Surprised he didn’t say that about his hydrofoil also. Or did he master foiling in an hour?
Anyway I first tried a cloud in 2013. Immediately I could tell some advantages, disadvantages and differences, but it took a year (dozen sessions in that kite, which was a 17) for me to get skilled with it and sure I wanted to change my whole quiver to clouds, as at that point the advantages outweighed the disadvantages for me.

Cloud versus multistrut lei is like lei versus foil, tomato versus potato. Everyone has his taste, but you have to learn how to cook them differently also!

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Has thanked: 0

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 am
I'm totally opposite I guess. Been flying Clouds for two years and stopped using all other kites. Tried the Ultra and really didn't like it. Slow and barge-like compared to Clouds. Ultras are not a wave kite, they just don't drift well enough. Once you get REALLY used to the timing of the Clouds (or really any other wave-specific kite - REO, Enduro, Cabo, etc) it's fantastic for foiling anywhere and surfboards in waves. That said, Clouds and twintips do not go well together. Clouds are also not great for surfboards in flat water. But in waves, they're pure nirvana, still nothing even remotely like it out there.
Hi I am going to throw out an opposing experience in regards to the airush ultra. I have been on a 9m ultra for about 10 months now and have used it in a wide variety of conditions. It took me a while to warm up to it as a wave kite but the more I have used it the more I like it. I have used it in straight onshore, cross on, side shore, and side offshore, at its top end, very most low end and in between.

One of the defining characteristics I have found about this kite is that it drifts really really well. Drift is something that is hard to measure and I wish there was some way to measure it accurately but I would be willing to say the ultra drifts as well or better than any other kite I have used. Using it in the surf it feels very reliable, you know it's not going to drop unexpectedly and you can really push the drift. It's definitely not as quick turning or as direct as a 3 strut wave kite but it has a lot of good characteristics. It's the only kite I have used that really hammers upwind with a really good upwind angle but is also happy to be thrown around deep in the window with great drift for riding downwind.

Like DrRadduke I should be paid for evangelizing this kite but I am not. I am just really stoked on it.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Seabizzle wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm
pikovsg wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 am
I'm totally opposite I guess. Been flying Clouds for two years and stopped using all other kites. Tried the Ultra and really didn't like it. Slow and barge-like compared to Clouds. Ultras are not a wave kite, they just don't drift well enough. Once you get REALLY used to the timing of the Clouds (or really any other wave-specific kite - REO, Enduro, Cabo, etc) it's fantastic for foiling anywhere and surfboards in waves. That said, Clouds and twintips do not go well together. Clouds are also not great for surfboards in flat water. But in waves, they're pure nirvana, still nothing even remotely like it out there.
Hi I am going to throw out an opposing experience in regards to the airush ultra. I have been on a 9m ultra for about 10 months now and have used it in a wide variety of conditions. It took me a while to warm up to it as a wave kite but the more I have used it the more I like it. I have used it in straight onshore, cross on, side shore, and side offshore, at its top end, very most low end and in between.

One of the defining characteristics I have found about this kite is that it drifts really really well. Drift is something that is hard to measure and I wish there was some way to measure it accurately but I would be willing to say the ultra drifts as well or better than any other kite I have used. Using it in the surf it feels very reliable, you know it's not going to drop unexpectedly and you can really push the drift. It's definitely not as quick turning or as direct as a 3 strut wave kite but it has a lot of good characteristics. It's the only kite I have used that really hammers upwind with a really good upwind angle but is also happy to be thrown around deep in the window with great drift for riding downwind.

Like DrRadduke I should be paid for evangelizing this kite but I am not. I am just really stoked on it.
I agree with you regarding the airush ultra .... I have the 9m as well and drifts reasonably well (not quite as well as a Cloud). But it is a super fun kite to jump with.
My only criticism is it can be hard to dump power once you are zooming down a wave cross on.

I want a 9 and 12 for jumping.....

Return to “Hydrofoil”