Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cloud vs Reo.

Postby salvino » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 pm

How is the Reo as far as lift overhead as it passes through zenith?

I fly Neos coming from RRD religion as I found the Neos had that extra lift that has helped in transition maneuvers.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Many thanks for opinion. This is also what i think about these kites - but just think. I rode on HF smaller sizes kites than windsurfer sails on water - so minimum power but on SB you have to be powered to easy and quick upwind. Also do not want two quiver.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm

I like neos but i dont use kite lift in HF transition. Im too undepowered for that. But i suppose it is quite size dependent. 7 neo gives me hard time on SB tack as there is just zip to other side. 9 is much easier. I would like to have neos with better drift in low wind on HF and better low wind water relaunch. I would like to have also backward relaunch via pulling backlines. Neo dont give shit about pulling backlines and because high Y oposite front and back also cannot be used.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 pm

I have owned 3 clouds, but not the last generation. I have 3 reo.

always expected more of the clouds, and they were never delivered by the cloud on line buzz.
all three had a very narrow wind range. if I was in that narrow range very sweet to deal with and
moments of magic. defiantly not great in gusty unpredictable winds.

reo large wind range, size for size quicker turning, not such a on off feeling as with the clouds
quicker to relaunch. amazing in the gusts...................

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:33 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm
I like neos but i dont use kite lift in HF transition. Im too undepowered for that. But i suppose it is quite size dependent. 7 neo gives me hard time on SB tack as there is just zip to other side. 9 is much easier. I would like to have neos with better drift in low wind on HF and better low wind water relaunch. I would like to have also backward relaunch via pulling backlines. Neo dont give shit about pulling backlines and because high Y oposite front and back also cannot be used.
If you get the kite close to zenith, Neos will give you lift to support feet switch. I've done this in winds when the kite drops from the sky, so around just below 4ms. It's about technique. If you have clickbar, you can use the Neos with very low V; I have taken the front line splitter off completely, and they ride ok; at least the 8 and 10m sizes 2016 and 2017s... But the reality is that Neos are a bit on the heavy side, so they are not the perfect kites for marginal winds foiling.

TomL
Rare Poster
Style: Strapless surfboard, hydrofoil
Gear: Caution 5m, Ozone REO V4/V5 6m, 7m, 8m, 9m, Airush Ultra V2 12m
Roberts, Caution, Vernor, Naish surfboards
Cloud E 4.8m, 6.2m, 8m, 10.4m
Moses 101, 82, RDB 1200, 695, 679, 590, 425, 400
LF orb, Foilworks 130
Been thanked: 0

Postby TomL » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:07 am

I have both the Clouds and REO v4 kites.

For hydrofoiling I prefer to use a cloud. They are great for freeride on a foil. If you want to go fast or jump there are better kites. But for just freeriding they work well. The new D's have the best range but the wind range on these strutless kites is still smaller than on a three strut kite. So using the correct size is magic and having too much kite is a chore. I have a C2 9M, D 6.2M, and a C5 5.5m. I would not recommend the C2 as the wind range is very small. The C5's are good, though I don't recommend the 13.5 because it has issues with the wingtips folding in. D's are good all around, lots of sizes available so you can go crazy thinking about how many to put in your quiver.

I have hydrofoiled with the 9, 8, and 7m V4 reo. They don't have the light wind performance of a Cloud, but will work well in more moderate winds. The REOs not only turn fast but are also fast through the window, so sometimes if you are not paying attention it is easy to overfly the kite. The Cloud just seems to do everything right when you are on a foil.

I have tried the Clouds (only the C2 9m) with a strapless surfboard. They are slower through the wind window and have a very small sheeting range so you have to be careful about dumping all the power in turns and such. I just couldn't get used to it and make it work well. Probably because I have been using three and five strut kites in waves for over a decade.

So in summation I have a two quivers. Clouds are great for hydrofoiling and Reo's are great for waves with a surfboard.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 am

Took the outer struts off an old Reo 7 mtr, works great for foiling. Probably screwed the top end but not an issue for foiling. 2.23 kgs before, 1.91 now, drifts great.
Maybe an option if Clouds aren’t easily available. Haven’t tried a Cloud but they aren’t readily available in Oz.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Haven't got a chance to try Clouds, but I've got Reo V5 7m & 9m. These are amazing
kites for wave riding. Goes upwind very well. It's super fast. Build quality is simply amazing. The only downside I found when riding waves is that sometimes the lines slacks and kite falls out of the sky. This happens rarely when there is not enough wind and I suddenly pull lines too hard or overfly the kite so lines slacks and it isn't able to drift for recovery because of lack of wind.

I experience this downside more often when riding hydrofoil because it's usually light wind when I'm foiling. Another downside is that it doesn't have that grunty pull like other wave kites. So in lighter winds, it lacks that pull one needs when tacking or doing anything else that demands more power.

Apart from this, it's really amazing kite.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:00 am

No problem to restart cloud in light wind IMO. Clouds also works well in surf since they drift really well.

TARTAX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarquinia
Favorite Beaches: Tarquinia
paros
Style: Wave & hydrofoil freestyle
Gear: Airush kites,rrd waveboards,moses hydrofoil,newind foilboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby TARTAX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am

airsail wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 am
Took the outer struts off an old Reo 7 mtr, works great for foiling. Probably screwed the top end but not an issue for foiling. 2.23 kgs before, 1.91 now, drifts great.
Maybe an option if Clouds aren’t easily available. Haven’t tried a Cloud but they aren’t readily available in Oz.
tell me more about pulling off the outer struts.
how is the behaviour now?
water relaunch?
lower wind range?

Return to “Hydrofoil”