Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jumping (and landing) technique

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Jumping (and landing) technique

Postby mcfly777 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I am now working on jumping with the foil. I fly Cab FX kites. Here are my questions
- what is the best position to go the highest? I could either lean really hard, and when sending the kite pump the foil, in which case the push from the foil upwards is not maximal. OR I could lean hard upwind to generate speed and line tension, then flatten the board a little so that when i send the kite and pump the back foot the push from the foil is maximized.
- landing is very very tricky. I can work the kite so that coming down is fairly smooth, but I can never stay on foil. What is the better way to land the foil? I have seen many people that just land flat, and others that angle the nose down slightly.

thanks!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Jumping (and landing) technique

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Couple of good videos that might be helpful:

https://youtu.be/OGBml0w2p3I

https://youtu.be/5gfFAtcRGaQ

I've found that you want to be on a fast reach, lean way back and almost "sit down" as you load up your line tension, then when you send the kite just sort of kick the nose up and let 'er rip. I haven't figured out the "land softly on the foil" part, as my bruised ribs and torn cartilage from 3 weeks ago might indicate :-(

mcfly777
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Coyote Point, Half Moon Bay Half Moon Bay (SF Bay Area)
Gear: Kite + board
Been thanked: 0

Postby mcfly777 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks Mossy, yes I had seen these videos before but I now rewatched them. Adam seems to land flat on his foil. Also he pops just like a twintip, really going upwind hard. I saw a video of one of those airchair foils being pulled by a boat, and that guy went super high just with the spring action of the foil, so I'm thinking if you can time both forces (kite + spring) just right you could go massive. The push from the foil can be equal to (or more) than a good well-times pop off a piece of chop. I have hit the timing like that just once and it was awesome.

Leo

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 pm

My experience. You gotta create tension...so up wind hard, ass low, snap the kite, time a wing send with kite apex. Wing sent is a major factor in height....that is the advantage. Withington "pulse" (plunge mast deep then send) is also valuable.

I focus on a hard redirect (foil kites) on the bottom 1/3 of descent. Soft landing is usual and sometimes almost right onto the wing but I don't worry about that.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 am

question about the gear.. what's your perfect rig for going big?
heard of some issues with Moses wings..
personally broke and sank nobile zen
also heard that slingshot foam boards don't last long neither..
I am currently on SS GW 545 and hypermiler.. is that a good rig?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 am

Not that much experience as usually strapless - but when I ride with straps and want to jump, particular in the lower winds like 9-12 knots maybe, the faster (smaller) the wing the better, as your riding speed is essential to big air here.

So using a speed/race wing just a tad over 500 cm2 - massive speed and higher jumps now, have tested neck and neck same days :thumb:

Medium sized wings also work fine and maybe easier to "foil away" in the landing if not sufficient speed, but the really big ones are IMO not good, as you dont get the same speed, and the risk of breaking your foil when landing is a huge risk now :o

Too big and/or too high AR wings will put loads of stress on the foil, in many landings :wink:

8) PF

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 am
Not that much experience as usually strapless (...)
Also riding strapless, but I don't let that deter me from getting high! Usually a few times in the session, I'll go for it, and just jump and enjoy the view from up there, sometimes upside down. Gentle redirecting of the kite, mellow splash. The way the board tends to ride downwind pretty quickly, it doesn't take much body dragging to get back to it.

That could be an intermediate step in the learning phase... Anyway, still fun to do, even in 10C waters.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm

I still s*ck at boosting with short lines and race gear , timming with 13m lines is soo weird... but it goes big !

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 am

As said above, speed=energy and flow over your kite (wing). So a higher speed wing is best.
I have broken a 637 Moses race wing (replaced quickly under warranty) but it is my preferred weapon. 558 which is a sport wing is almost as good but harder to hold a hard edge. Learn to redirect correctly and land soft and wings should stand up just fine. My 558 has probably
Boards....if you are going to do many many big boosts then you will destroy a non carbon board in time. Heels dent, then rails give out and you break the board in half. I have no experience with plank type boards but they would be bulletproof I would imagine....but I like a bit of volume.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm

It really depends on the size of your wing. The smaller the wing, the harder it is to land foiling. On a small wing that needs a lot of speed to fly, you need to land with the foil diving into the water whilst at the same time diving the kite. As in this video here on the 637

https://www.facebook.com/kitechino/vide ... 490576826/

On bigger wings like the 633 Onda Pump it is much easier. You can even land fully on the tail and still foil out of the landing.

https://www.facebook.com/kitechino/vide ... 057547249/

--
Gunnar

Return to “Hydrofoil”