A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Kanaha Shapes and Groove comparison from a noob

Postby BigSky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:10 am

This may be useless ramblings but these boards seem to be on many peoples radar so I will give my impression. I'm a intermediate foiler but totally addicted. I ride 12 months a year and I'm working on skills but having a lot of fun. Like many I was very excited when I saw Gunnar's review of the Groove Skate and I immediately ordered one back in early April. Prior to that I was on a LF Rocket fish, which I liked and a Nobile infinity split. I also converted several skimboards for foiling but didn't love them; I loved the light weight though. When I ordered the Skate I was told they received my order and would charge me until it shipped in roughly 20 days. I checked in multiple times and received the same message, but months slipped by.

In July (first order with Groove was in April) I came across the Kanaha shapes site. I ordered the 43" which seemed crazy short but what the hell. It shipped immediately. My first session was with a lift 130 and 91cm mast. I immediately loved it. It was rock solid in flight, crazy light and overall worked great. I felt a sense of confidence I hadn't previously felt. I had a few really light wind sessions where I struggled but the wind was super light so I don't know I can blame the board. If it's 10 to 12kts I don't have an issue getting up on a 10.4 BRM Cloud on 25m lines. I weigh 165 (75kg) with harness etc. The board just sits on it's side and waits for takeoff when strapless. I'm lazy so I did install a couple inserts for a front foot hook but it's not necessary.

I then received a message in August that I could get the Groove Skate. It seemed crazy but, what the hell, I thought. The funny thing is the Groove Skate looked absolutely gigantic when it came when you compare it to the Kanaha. I didn't find it as easy immediately but I grew comfortable within a session and I like it. I now look at it as my light wind board and I like the possibility of straps as I'd like to start jumping. I primary use it with a Lift 170 and a 76cm mast (we have big tides) for lower tide excursions and light wind. I also see it as a great travel board as it's very versatile. The straps are really nice too.

Gun to my head to choose one? I don't know. They are so different. The Groove is noticeably heavier than the Kanaha. I see the Groove as a good winter board as it's more buoyant and better, IMO, for self rescue. The Kanaha is great but it's on the boarder of being an impediment when swimming in. That's a bit of an exaggeration but the Skate was definitely easier. The Skate is really buoyant and I found it's easier to paddle in with everything. I kite all winter and it just seems smarter to have a board like that in frigid temps. I also find the Skate has more touchdowns - yes more. It's slightly better at them but I don't really have touchdowns on the Kanaha. When I wipe out the Kanaha veers off from me. I seem to get nailed by the Skate more but I'm sure it's me. Both boards are well made and look great and both companies are indy, which I love to support. The Groove bag, compatible with a foil, is awesome. At someone's suggestion I bought a keyboard bag for the Kanaha and it works fine with the foil on. You can't go wrong with either board. If you're noob to intermediate do NOT be intimidated by the smaller Kanaha. It's the easiest board I've tried. Hope some of this helps. Cheers.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Re: Kanaha Shapes and Groove comparison from a noob

Postby Dave K » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 am

Hey Bigsky, I sent you a PM. The Groove Skate looks like just the board I’m looking for to use with a 633 Onda. Have a feeling it will be challenging (slow!) to order one direct from a such a small company in Italy, as you’ve already mentioned. Making an attempt now.

felixg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ammersee
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Wave, Freeride
Gear: North Neo
Flysurfer Sonic2
Levitaz Foil
Mitu Pro 5.10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Dave,
After reading all the comments about Groove I was starting to look for alternatives. But we decided two weeks ago to go on vacation, first to a small lake in north Italy and then driving down to vieste. I checked the adress of groove and recognised that we nearly pass by. So I wrote an email asking if I could visit them 5 days later an buy a skate. I received the same day in the evening a confirmation that this would work and I should send my favourite color. Last week we visited Groove and I was more the surprised. Michele is one of the nicest and honest persons I met. He should me and my family the whole company. It was very interesting to see how they shape the boards. He told me that they got surprised with orders after Gunnars Video. Now they have ramped up production, fulfilled all orders and now they are able to produce nearly in time. You have to wait max 10 days, which is unlikely. Most they are in one week. The board itself is amazing. It is my first smaller board, i‘m Still beginner. But it planes nearly as easy as my large 160x45cm board.
I am really a fan of their great work.

Best Felix

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Yeah, the guys from Italy got back to me within a couple of days and I just placed an order for a Groove Skate. Gunnar’s video sold me on it. I also just ordered a Moses Onda with a 71 cm mast. This board seems like the perfect fit for it. Hitting 60 this year but feeling like a kid just chomping at the bit to play with a new toy.........and it looks like some Florence prep work will keep me occupied for the next week anyway :wink:

FWIW, they quoted me a 15 day build time and a price of $950 usd including a custom bag, straps, t-nuts and delivery to North Carolina. Definitely a splurge for me,......but waaaay cheaper than the Suzuki 250 hp outboard I just bought for the boat. (Water toys are all relative)

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:43 am

Any more review between Kahana and Skate ?
Dave K, please look at my pm ! Thanks

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Dave K wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 pm
Yeah, the guys from Italy got back to me within a couple of days and I just placed an order for a Groove Skate. Gunnar’s video sold me on it. I also just ordered a Moses Onda with a 71 cm mast. This board seems like the perfect fit for it. Hitting 60 this year but feeling like a kid just chomping at the bit to play with a new toy.........and it looks like some Florence prep work will keep me occupied for the next week anyway :wink:

FWIW, they quoted me a 15 day build time and a price of $950 usd including a custom bag, straps, t-nuts and delivery to North Carolina. Definitely a splurge for me,......but waaaay cheaper than the Suzuki 250 hp outboard I just bought for the boat. (Water toys are all relative)
My friends dropped 28k usd on a motor for their boat. I remind my wife about that when I buy a kite for 1000 usd.

Return to “Hydrofoil”