Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: None

Where does a new foiler go from here:

Postby joekitetime » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello foiler friends. I started foiling 3 weeks ago, foil daily. Purchased ss dwarfcraft 4'6", hoverglide nf2. I can ride comfortably heelside/toeside/switchfoot. Yesterday I got 3 in a row heelside to toeside foiling jibs, fell on about 10, got about 3-4 w/touchdowns. Some days I can foiling jibe toe-side to heelside, somedays not, depending on how powered I feel. Ride wainman kites. (5/7/9/12)

My dream foiling idol is the guy who doesn't ride switchfoot, but heelside to toeside only (that is how I ride my surfboard) and jibes, tacks, and does 360s, no touchdowns, no foot switch.

Also, I like to ride slow, turn often, more playful - prefer to constantly be switching directions.

My questions:
Should I go for a shovel shaped foil, rather than the more traditional wing (hoverglide space skate rather than the hoverglide nf2).

Should I jump at the chance to get a carbon wing?

Should I quit riding a 24" mast (I really love that mast - am I crippling myself?)

Should I get new kites (wainmans are wake style kites, sit deep in the window, strong bar pressure) or should I make them work...

Should I play with line length or keep the 25m going?

Should I look for a smaller board or must make one?

How hard is it to tack toeside to heelside and vice versa?

Thanks so much. I'm super stoked on foiling and can't wait to improve!

Thanks!!!!!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Where does a new foiler go from here:

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

- You should try the impulse foil
- the impulse is carbon
- I now ride on a 30" mast and prefer it to my 24" and it has made the transition to 36" easier
- I am buying a foil kite for ultra low end foiling other than that any kite works okay
- I would try not to change too much at one time, line lengths can always be done after you are more comfortable
- I am buying a smaller board simply due to travel restrictions. My current happy pill 4' 10" will not fit in my travel bag
- how hard is it...? compared to what? I am learning to do surface duck tacks... 99% fail atm but its not hard I just don't get it yet.... the wipeouts are pretty tame so I would say go for it!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:21 pm

joekitetime wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:00 pm
My dream foiling idol is the guy who doesn't ride switchfoot, but heelside to toeside only (that is how I ride my surfboard) and jibes, tacks, and does 360s, no touchdowns, no foot switch.

J: that is how I ride, but only because I never took the time to learn to ride goofy at the start -- a regret, as it's harder to go back learn later on. It works fine, but two negatives: 1) you are maybe 25% less efficient upwind toeside, so it slows you down if you want to explore far upwind; 2) your body gets sore, with cramped up muscles and sore joints (from awkward twisting), if you don't switch it up. Similar to surfboard, switching to ride back upwind helps to rest the muscles for dominant stance.

Also, I like to ride slow, turn often, more playful - prefer to constantly be switching directions. J: me too!

My questions:
Should I go for a shovel shaped foil, rather than the more traditional wing (hoverglide space skate rather than the hoverglide nf2).

J: I don't have much belief in thg board mattering all that much. Once you're at the point of just a few brief touchdowns in a session, only thing that really matters is being able to waterstart it. I have switched to a wakeskate, really blown away by how much freed up I felt to have so little swing weight. Plus being completely strapless (I have hooks on my surf foilboard) I found out something really important: my front foot was about an inch back from optimal position. Having it forward opened up an entirely new dimension: more front foot pressure meant able to ride out a lot more speed, particularly when dropping into wind swells. It was a WOW. Negative of low volume board like wakeskate is light wind.....can be quite challenging to water start, if its a foot under water. Some recommend a wood skim as having just a little more width and flotation.

Should I jump at the chance to get a carbon wing? J: I am wrong person to ask, as I have caveman gear comparatively ... G10 stringy wings, alumimun mast, DIY boards. But seems to do all I need. They are fast enough and carvey. When I hit the bottom (rocks), I just sand out the nick, no drama. I don't care about weight, once on the water it makes no difference, I am not doing jumps.

Should I quit riding a 24" mast (I really love that mast - am I crippling myself?)
J: if you ride in chop or swell, or want to do high speed laid out carves, DEFINITELY get longer mast. Makes a huge difference, in keeping that front wing in the water.

Should I get new kites (wainmans are wake style kites, sit deep in the window, strong bar pressure) or should I make them work...
J: seems like people who want speed prefer high aspect kites that fly forward. People who want to carve swells downwind want wave style kites with maximum drift: deep in the window, low bar pressure. Want to be able to go straight downwind with the kite drifting along with you, or some like to do loops to keep it active. But all that being said: I figure anything works if you get used to flying it! I ride BWS and Ocean Rodeo Roam, really happy with them. Lots of people like Clouds (and those who like them REALLY love them, which you'll be hearing about soon I suspect).

Should I play with line length or keep the 25m going?
J: I ride standard 22m. Some seem to prefer long lines: theory is to get more power to get up on foil, then less power once up and riding. The loop fanciers seem to like short lines.

Should I look for a smaller board or must make one?
J: I got a cheap used wakeskate, drilled 4 holes, good enough -- but that's just me. ;-)

How hard is it to tack toeside to heelside and vice versa?
J: seems pretty hard to me, though everyone says "easy once you know how". Personally I have a mental block about twisting the lines, similar to when I learned backrolls. Initial steps for me are to figure out the dance moves on land with a trainer kite, get that dialed, then try it on the water. Initial attempts have been like first tries at backrolls: pull with wrong hand, loop kite, then either tomahawk it, superman me, or both ... the swim that follows is a disincentive. :lol: It's on my list, but probably a "next year" project once again.

Thanks so much. I'm super stoked on foiling and can't wait to improve! J: good times! have fun!

Thanks!!!!!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 pm

Joe,

One step at a time..
First, go get a 36" or 90-95cm mast. Toss the 24". Repeat, get full length mast/strut.
Stay on your wing but if can afford it, and can get a LF Impulse setup, go for it. Or spend a bit more on Moses Fluente with 633 wing. Keep your board.
Then learn flying gybes heel to toe, toe to heel. No foot switch. Link them together.

Here you might want to consider getting a easy foil kite. After 1year on Hydrofoil and at this stage, I got a Hyperlink Ultralight 9m and I don't regret it despite it being the most expensive kite I've ever bought by 2x. I was so pleased that I bought used Sonic 2 13m and Hyperlink 7m. And retired my lei kites.

Now Learn flying footswitch. Learn everything first in strong direction, ( I'm here) then weak side.
Proceed to tacks, 360, etc....

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 am

Here's a great setup for what you want imo.
https://youtu.be/6KWdJP5VBBE

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 am

Hey buddy, great that you've made a couple decent videos. Maybe post em a couple times, but spamming em onto every possible thread is gonna get pretty tired pretty fast.

P.S. I think hypermiler is referring to mile as in mileage, not mill, as in miller.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:11 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 am
Hey buddy,
mileage, not mill, as in miller.
Give the kid a break. He’s tryin to bring Oklahoma into the 20th century.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNFxWK_ANtY

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 am
Here's a great setup for what you want imo.
https://youtu.be/6KWdJP5VBBE
Nice video! :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”