Favorite Beaches: None
Style: None
Gear: bandit dos
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pansh vs cloud c5 13.5

Postby OOri » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am

Hi, im new hydrofoiler and im at the intersection of choosing between the c5 13.5 to pansh aurora v2/a15.
My goal is to surf at 6-12 knots with the kite but also to have fun with a fast responding kite to its size. Another fear that i have is the relaunch and self rescue. To summarize i would like help in choosing according to this parameters:
1. Wind range
2. Responding
3. Relaunch
4. Self rescue( 0 wind with 1km from shore)
Pansh kites vs cloud c5 13.5.
Thank you very much!!

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pansh vs cloud c5 13.5

Postby tomtom » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am

I dont know Pansh but i have Mid aspect freeride foil kite which IMO is fastest turning foil kite on market. I dont know which size aurora you are aiming for but if its 15 m2 than its WAY WAY too big for surf if by SURF you mean waveriding. If is general hydrofoil kite-boarding than its different. But anyway when you are choosing between FOIL and LEI kites you should choice sizes which are comparable power wise to each other. I.E. I was choosing between 9m foil kite and 12m one strut /Which i both bought and had/ kite which are comparable power wise.
Between these twos /And this is not direct analogy - but there are some similarities/

Hang in air - Foil much better - but Cloud is lighter so i think it will be even.
Raw power - similar - maybe very little more power on LEI but not so much it matter if you are riding or not.
Turning speed - similar /keep in mind its similar between 9 and 12/ but from "dead stop" LEI is quicker to react. Foil kites needs to be moved.
Depower - Much more refined on Foil although LEI can have similar absolute depower, the smoothness of foil make it feel like its more accessible and kite had more range from this.
Deep-water relaunch 10:1 for foil - not even contest.
Self land and launch in 10 knots /which is usual range/ Much better on foil
Self land launch in 15 and more /usual TT range/ Feel safer on LEI.
Deep water self rescue. LEI obviously better. The only realistic chance on foil is to complete deep-water pack which is doable but difficult. I was doing it once so far.

Foil is quicker to rig and pack - no pumping.

After all this for me FOIL kite was better choice and I dont regret my decision after season. This is applicable jut for 6-12 - In higher wind i still prefer LEIs.
Last edited by tomtom on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:53 am

Of course cloud...come on

OOri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: None
Gear: bandit dos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby OOri » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Thank you very much! I would like to see more reviews if possible. Kiterocky can you explain? And yes i compare the 12/15 pansh to the 13.5 cloud

haare
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lahti, Finland
Favorite Beaches: Egypt - Marsa Alam
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Zeeko spitfire
F one diablo 6.4 and 8
Flysurfer sonic 2 11, 13, 18
Elf Joker 15

Postby haare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:10 pm

OOri wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am
Hi, im new hydrofoiler and im at the intersection of choosing between the c5 13.5 to pansh aurora v2/a15.
My goal is to surf at 6-12 knots with the kite but also to have fun with a fast responding kite to its size. Another fear that i have is the relaunch and self rescue. To summarize i would like help in choosing according to this parameters:
1. Wind range
2. Responding
3. Relaunch
4. Self rescue( 0 wind with 1km from shore)
Pansh kites vs cloud c5 13.5.
Thank you very much!!
1) wind range is definitely better with foil than with lei. Extra range however requires proper technique.
2) Struttless lei is easier with hydrofoil. It has more even power delivery. It turns far faster than foil kite.
3) relaunch: It depends which kite you compare. In trong wind all the kites relaunch easy. However 6 knots i can relaunch my race foil but have not seen pump kite do the same. Generally it is trickier with foil kites but when you know the technique it is possible it all the same conditions. When you start you definitely swim more with foil kite.
4) No big difference. Foil kite packs extremely small. However you have usually tangles to be solved when you come to the shore.

It depends what you want to do.
Racing, big air => go with foil kite
freeride and strapless => go with lei, less hassle.

If you decide to buy foil . I would buy used chrono 2 or sonic 2 rather than pansh. They are poor quality and lot less performance. I had A15 and it broke in gust. The kite was torn to pieces. F one Diablo V 1 is also good if you find one that has been used only a little.

Regards
Juha

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:42 pm

A bigger foil kite is better for surf because of improved drift.

If you use the kite to power you then a smaller one is better. It is what is called wave kiting . Usually done on flat water often in front of waves or between them and even some times on the waves, hence the use of wave in the name. Now although usually at least 50% or more of the riding is on flat water, you will not see it referred to as Flat water kiting. That has it's own branches , wankestyle, air ballet , hucking it and my old time favorite mowing the sea grass.

Return to “Hydrofoil”