Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Re: Half a Zeeko windfoil = Spitfire monofoil

Postby flying grandpa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

ronnie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am
Thanks for the feedback. When you tried various wings behind a boat, you preferred the Carver wing. Why are you choosing the Spitfire rear wing for mono?
The rear wing of the Spitfire may be quite similar in characteristics to a regular kitefoil front wing.
As there are few profiles with COP moving forward with speed, there are many with COP moving back with speed, and that is the cause of diving at higher speeds, detrimental for mono.
I just search the best wing/profile for mono. Carver had smaller speed bandwidth, was diving earlier.
XXLW has more drag and easier to keep speed under diving limit . Smaller AR helps.
Horst Sergio wrote: Great job :thumb:
And interesting to see it is possible to have the strut so much forward nearly above the wing, but I would expect behaviour to be better with more yaw damping, or what was your feeling in comparision with the other monos you tested?
If you can use the boat again, it could be interesting to use a spring balance to compare the load with and without stabi, maybe also at different speeds.
Thank you, Sergio for flowers.
I was curious about yaw behaviour of the wing directly under the mast. It was as easy as before to control yaw, but the board was more agile fuseless than with fuselage. The same with pitch stability.
I will do the comparison behind the boat to check more precisely yaw and pitch stability.
As for spring balance, I'm afraid the results will differ so little, and speed/angles changes will have so much effect, that it will not be easy to compare reliably the forces.

The mast was 60 cm and that made ride easier as well. Next time I will shim the plate, to keep both knees at the same angle at speed. Hope it helps to widen speed bandwidth.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:06 am
I’m not sure if there is a specific Spitfire Windfoil in planning but I’m going with what’s there.
Thanks. I knew Nicolas was working on what design changes are required for a Spitfire Windfoil. It will depend on his results, but I think a canard design could have good characteristics for windfoiling freestyle and in waves, and may make a good learning design and/or maneuver-oriented freeride.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 am

flying grandpa wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am
ronnie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am
Thanks for the feedback. When you tried various wings behind a boat, you preferred the Carver wing. Why are you choosing the Spitfire rear wing for mono?
The rear wing of the Spitfire may be quite similar in characteristics to a regular kitefoil front wing.
As there are few profiles with COP moving forward with speed, there are many with COP moving back with speed, and that is the cause of diving at higher speeds, detrimental for mono.
I just search the best wing/profile for mono. Carver had smaller speed bandwidth, was diving earlier.
XXLW has more drag and easier to keep speed under diving limit . Smaller AR helps.
Thanks!
I like your logic. :thumb:

If my guessing is right and the XXLW front wing has good stall characteristics - ie. it has a smooth drop off of lift and higher drag, above its AOA for highest lift - that might be a way of controlling increased power and reducing lift and speed? It would be a bit like over-sheeting the power source?

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm

If I recall properly, in the movie below I was using front XXLW wing. Check after 1’
https://youtu.be/ZxXj2HXW_D0
Slow speed attracted stall many times. Also ride close to surface reduce lift additionally, pushing me to increase AoA.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am

flying grandpa wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm
If I recall properly, in the movie below I was using front XXLW wing. Check after 1’
https://youtu.be/ZxXj2HXW_D0
Slow speed attracted stall many times. Also ride close to surface reduce lift additionally, pushing me to increase AoA.
Thanks for the video. Its interesting to see pioneering at work - and a monofoil has high potential if it could be developed to have an easier level of control.

At high AOA it sank down, another time it was kangarooing when trying for lift off at high AOA, another time it rose smoothly at high AOA.
Only you can really judge what was happening. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”