jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilers vs Kiters proportion now

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 am

@ foil. props! Showing it aint no big thang. Tandem..... you crazy kids!

@lwcloud. Your obviously not apposed to the decent kite bargain. Just wait and poach a decent freeride foil. Foil only will be the best value. Slap it on any old skate, skim or hunk of alia you find.

You will giggle in retrospect when you someday think you tied to make a case with the : its too much stuff/a pain to rig line.

Like anything kiting, you can be the guy who rigs 5 kites on the beach and uses a tote on wheels to bring out all his stuff, or you can be the minimalist who throws a mast on a board with four twists of a screw driver, pops a fuse on a mast and heads out for a killer session within 10 min of driving up.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 am

at one stage.. in my van.. a boots board, a twiny, 2 kite surfboards, 5 kites ( of 8), 2 surfing shortboards , a mal, a sup 2 paddles one spare , a skateboard, multiple leashes, multiple wetsuits so have a dry one ready...

got too much.. enjoying going back to basics... a shortboard for surfing, or kiting with a twintip or surfboard

when you consider the traditional footstraped twintip and kite, although it is not pimped by industry due to a saturated market, it is amazing what you can do with such a small amount of kit. foiling wise i guess u can go super minimal small too eg riding on the mounting plate with a 3.5 m strutless

dont be controlled or influenced by an industry that mostly isnt even owned by kiters at the top level

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am

pretty sure I'm not

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:10 am

Don't forget:

- we live in shark infested waters, adding a HF "sword" in wave riding just adds up

- we are spoiled of choice on this continent, we do NOT have to ride a HF and still be on water

As I see it, the HF riders do not have a choice, you race, or freeride in low wind. Boston is an exception, confirming the rule.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 am

It's interesting that the arguments against foiling are almost exactly the same as windsurfers used when kitesurfing first appeared. It's dangerous. It's expensive. I'll get one but only for light winds.

Equally interesting is that as foiling moves into windfoiling and surf foiling you get the same stuff repeated over and over again. It's dangerous. You're riding with a big sword and you'll chop people's arms and legs off. Look at these pictures of head injuries. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Without going into too much detail, since I embraced foiling the amount of gear in my car is less and the number of on water hours has doubled. My number of kites is reaching an embarrassing level. I usually only take two small kites for a day out, but the wind range is so wide that huge and very small kites have found their way into the quiver.

I would have said my magic conditions are 20-30 knots with waves, a small kite and a surf foil. But there's other sweet spots that are just as nice in their way. Smooth 18 knots with a high aspect wing and mid-size kite are just gorgeous.

Of course, now I'm working on zero knots, 9' SUP and a large foil. The foiling revolution just keeps on giving. The beautiful thing is I can do it all, and the other stuff is still in the garage waiting for those perfect days when the mood and conditions align.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 am

Right,

so the argument is less gear. But more wings? Which cost, like, nothing.

Let's look at the average age of HF kiters. Sure, one can argue they can do it all with a HF, sure they can, but are they Toby on a HF? ;)

As said sooo many times, NONE of HF kiters were on tricks. Not unhooked, but hooked. A few maybe did a backroll with a loop b4 started foling. Yes, it is awesome, it's opening a new frontiers, bla bla bla

Yeah, that argument with a windsurfers does not stand on my local. 98% of WS riders are on the Swan river. 2% on the ocean.

If they would be so keen on the sharks infested Ocean, it would be quite the opposite.

The reason is a CHOICE. So we have a choice to use the River inlet and not to worry about anything. The only thing Im reading all the time is about me, myself and I, how good are MY days on a HF....

Sharing a stoke? Not really in my books. More like sharing the ego, personal adventure or achievements. Nothing applicable to other people, I'm afraid.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 am

Did Siri just write that last post?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 am

Yes,

you have a problem with it?

Let me know when you finish a HF in Carbon and document everything so other people can follow and replicate...Or ask Siri. The stoke can't be replicated, the procedure can. One can't replicate how to write a book, we do not read about the stoke of doing this, do we. But we read books (some of us tho).

Same with riding, my stoke is different than yours. But we all ride...

On the other hand, if you have a problem with English, we, non english native speakers shall keep quiet, shall we? So english can blossom. whatever...

Typical consumerism by some. Toby is excellent with what he does. As I understand he will continue with a TT as HF would affect his style. Period. His words.

Chew on that...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:38 am

People who foil here are split into having given up everything except foils (almost without exception they're racers) end those who're redwing rescuing light wind sessions.

I'd say 25% of our locals ride anything depending on conditions, 60% directionals only (but...there are no waves) 10% anything excluding foils and 5% twin tips only.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:49 am

God,

just have a look at the gear the Boston crew is using (now I see it):

FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite

jumptheshark, that's a lot of gear to claim it's dirt cheap. Plus the Body Armour for jumping and almost everything else (they do not say that, do they.... ;)

Other than that, can't wait to brake some records with a HF on my local.

Return to “Hydrofoil”