Re: Moses Onda with 330 Stabilizer

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

My friend mounted Onda to his nobile splitboard. No probs with mounting. The problem is if you ride straps - front strap isn't enough forward, so the stance is very narrow.
Ok awesome thanks. I don’t ride it with straps, they’re useless on that board and I wouldn’t jump it anyhow. Too fragile.
BTW, that guy switched to custom carbon small board shortly after testing it with his splitboard. Everyone here decided that this nobile splitboard is only suitable for traveling.
Oh I am very familiar with the board, I took it on my 16000km motorcycle trip last year. Most of my kiteboarding is traveling hence why I still have it. As soon as I get my foiling gybes down I’ll get a pocket board but still nothing beats that Nobile on the road.

rolfjoosten
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rolfjoosten » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 am

I was finally able to test the Onda with the 330 stabilizer today. It definitely reduces the front foot pressure at higher speeds and makes the setup much more nimble. My feeling was that it is much more nervous in terms of nick (up and down) but also still very controllable which could be great in stronger winds and in slightly overpowered situations. The winglets on the 330 give it more stability in terms of yaw than the 483 stabilizer which can be a plus or a minus, depending what you are after.
I will definitely try this setup again in stronger winds shortly but if you want to pump and use the push of waves, in my opinion the 483 is the better choice. For cruising along at higher speeds in gusty, sometimes overpowered conditions the 330 stabilizer might be a better choice but also more demanding as you need to constantly focus on the balance.
Hope this helps...
Would be nice to have some reports of others who tried it as it is a straight swap from the fluente fuselage to the Onda fuselage....

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 am

Has anyone tested the Onda with the 325 stabilizer?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:10 pm

The 325 has far less yaw and roll stability than the 330 with the 550 wing. So would suspect it would behave the sane way with Onda. The lower lift of these rear wings for sure changes pitch stability.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 pm

My bet is moses offers 633 with a shorter kite fuselage.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 pm

There is a point where the Onda 633 is not the best, very windy and big swell and waves,
I gave up trying to make the 633 wing set work in some of the challenging conditions we have experienced in the last 2 weeks,
I have ordered a 548 and 590 wing set from Moses to use in these conditions that we seem to be regularly experiencing since August, and it looks like continuing for many weeks to come.
the lift from the 633 is massive and if you let it loose in wild conditions it becomes quite hard to control, you need to really slow down to keep it under control, which works but after and hour or two you just know its really hard work and relaxing fast reaches are unthinkable. lets see what the Moses standard freeride wings bring to the party.

The flip side of the coin was today, 12 mph totally flat water on a small estuary, about the size of 4 swimming pools, small but I was sailing solo and it was heaven with my 9mtr Reo, just dancing around the small patch of water, my aim was to regain my shattered confidence trying foot switches on the fly, and it worked, one of the best sessions ever, 3 hours of very tight turns with hundreds of kiteloops and very short 100mtr sprints to rest the legs and arms, I am still buzzing 3 hours later.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I dont understand why it goes "out of control"???

I dont have the 633 but a similar sized surf wing (1200 cm2), and never experience it being out of control, nor seeking "up" :D

Do you have the straps set "neutral", or strapless where it doesn't matter?

Maybe the default rear stab angle needs a little shimming?

Or are you sometimes riding extremely powered at higher speeds, thus it gets "bouncy"?

Quite odd I dont experience the same, so I dont have to put more weight on the front foot at higher speeds, so could be a matter of trim simply, of the rear stab?

The reason I, like said in the other thread, often use the big wave wings instead of the huge surf wings, is simply because they feel good giving more speed without kitepower in turns and waves.
And sometimes in bigger waves I want low speed and max control not getting the "too much speed bugger" situation, and will go with the surf wing :rollgrin:

8) PF

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:28 pm
I dont understand why it goes "out of control"???

I dont have the 633 but a similar sized surf wing (1200 cm2), and never experience it being out of control, nor seeking "up" :D

Do you have the straps set "neutral", or strapless where it doesn't matter?

Maybe the default rear stab angle needs a little shimming?

Or are you sometimes riding extremely powered at higher speeds, thus it gets "bouncy"?

Quite odd I dont experience the same, so I dont have to put more weight on the front foot at higher speeds, so could be a matter of trim simply, of the rear stab?

The reason I, like said in the other thread, often use the big wave wings instead of the huge surf wings, is simply because they feel good giving more speed without kitepower in turns and waves.
And sometimes in bigger waves I want low speed and max control not getting the "too much speed bugger" situation, and will go with the surf wing :rollgrin:

8) PF
I have not let it get out of control,
rather I have had to slow down and sail very carefully to ensure I don't get into scary situations, maybe my 6mtr kite is the problem, maybe its just too big, maybe its just me being to careful. what I do know it not been much fun when it gets ballistic, I have had to dump the foil board and use my TTip which has been fantastic to be honest.
but i don't want to change to the TTip I want to have a blast on the foil.
Its been a frustrating few weeks.

Return to “Hydrofoil”